• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A30a announced

DACslut

I ordered the A30a from hifi-express today. Got three pair of speakers, Aurum Cantus V8F, Aurum Cantus New Grand Supreme and Wharfedale Linton Heritage. Will test with every one, but the A30a is meant to be used with the Lintons. Im quite excited.
No Subwoofer?

GiBo61

I ordered the A30a from hifi-express today. Got three pair of speakers, Aurum Cantus V8F, Aurum Cantus New Grand Supreme and Wharfedale Linton Heritage. Will test with every one, but the A30a is meant to be used with the Lintons. Im quite excited.
You won't regret the purchase. At the current price is a steal.

THO

I really like the "old school" look and format of the Lintons.
I just bought them on Friday, and thats actually the main reason why I bought them. They fit really well in with my interior in this part of the house, and the main goal here was not to get top quality sound. My other setups takes care of that. I did not even listen to them before buying. Still, it turns out they sound really, really good. Will be interesting when the A30a arrives.

GiBo61

I just bought them on Friday, and thats actually the main reason why I bought them. They fit really well in with my interior in this part of the house, and the main goal here was not to get top quality sound. My other setups takes care of that. I did not even listen to them before buying. Still, it turns out they sound really, really good. Will be interesting when the A30a arrives.
Well, you have some very fancy and expensive speakers and I imagine you drive them with amplifiers of the same category. I wonder what made you want to buy the Sabaj A30a...

Kiko

Hello dear friends!
Thank you much for this topic, it really helped me to make decision.
I've recently ordered SABAJ A30a and patiently waiting for it since it's on the way!
Could you please give me some recommendations about this amplifier based on your real experience that will help me to treat it right:

1. What parameters of the speakers are more suitable for this amplifier for best sound? (I mean Impedance - 4 or 6 or 8 Ohms and Sensitivity in dB). Or better could you please recommend me some few bookshelf speakers (bookshelf only! as I got no place for floor stands in a small 12m2 bedroom) available now on worldwide hi-fi market that will perfectly match this amplifier sound character and will sound the best with it? (!!It must sound as good as possible at the low volume levels, it's a mandatory factor!! As I love to listen at nights. And it must be pretty good for off axis background listening). (Musicality, Soundstage, Imaging, Detail, Warmth and Richness are preferable, I dont't like "dull" monitor sound, I'm not audiophile, just music lover, almost for all genres - best 60-70's oldies, Elvis, Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox, vocals, rockabilly, pop, disco, electronics like Harold Faltermeyer or synthwave, all except heavy metal and hard rock). (Not super expensive as possible for good sound quality value, the less - the best, but musicality is the main priority).

2. Is it safe to plug this amplifier into my UPS APC Back-UPS BX950MI-GR? (line-interactive but with approximated, NOT real sinus). I plug into it my PC and Monitor as well.

3. I want to connect this amplifier with my PC (with Windows 10) using USB-connection and listen music (files collection from SSD - flac, DSD, mp3) and watch movies from my PC. What settings and drivers should I apply to my PC and what music-player (I mean PC program) should I use for it and how set it up properly to get the best music quality from this amplifier? Do I need some special windows settings or drivers etc., or just plug it and play my PotPlayer? (Basically I prefer use PotPlayer for everything, but if really necessary I could use whatever you suggest).

4. Is it really necessary to update the firmware of this amplifier? And how to do it safe? What firmware is the most stable and bug-free? And were can I get it?

Thank you much, hope you can share your real experience and give me some advices!

PeterNL

Hello dear friends!
I've recently ordered SABAJ A30a and patiently waiting for it since it's on the way!
Could you please give me some recommendations about this amplifier based on your real experience that will help me to treat it right:

1. What parameters of the speakers are more suitable for this amplifier for best sound? (I mean Impedance - 4 or 6 or 8 Ohms and Sensitivity in dB). Or better could you please recommend me some few bookshelf speakers (bookshelf only! as I got no place for floor stands in a small 12m2 bedroom) available now on worldwide hi-fi market that will perfectly match this amplifier sound character and will sound the best with it? (!!It must sound as good as possible at the low volume levels, it's a mandatory factor!! As I love to listen at nights. And it must be pretty good for off axis background listening). (Musicality, Soundstage, Imaging, Detail, Warmth and Richness are preferable, I dont't like "dull" monitor sound, I'm not audiophile, just music lover, almost for all genres - best 60-70's oldies, Elvis, Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox, vocals, rockabilly, pop, disco, electronics like Harold Faltermeyer or synthwave, all except heavy metal and hard rock). (Not super expensive as possible for good sound quality value, the less - the best, but musicality is the main priority).

2. Is it safe to plug this amplifier into my UPS APC Back-UPS BX950MI-GR? (line-interactive but with approximated, NOT real sinus). I plug into it my PC and Monitor as well.

3. I want to connect this amplifier with my PC (with Windows 10) using USB-connection and listen music (files collection from SSD - flac, DSD, mp3) and watch movies from my PC. What settings and drivers should I apply to my PC and what music-player (I mean PC program) should I use for it and how set it up properly to get the best music quality from this amplifier? Do I need some special windows settings or drivers etc., or just plug it and play my PotPlayer? (Basically I prefer use PotPlayer for everything, but if really necessary I could use whatever you suggest).

4. Is it really necessary to update the firmware of this amplifier? And how to do it safe? What firmware is the most stable and bug-free? And were can I get it?

Thank you much, hope you can share your real experience and give me some advices!
Elac DBR62, Kef LS50, Focal Aria 906, Revel M105, Revel M106, Revel M16, Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, Polk Reserve R200...
Here is the latest firmware and manual:

Last edited:

ohnonotagain

1. What parameters of the speakers are more suitable for this amplifier for best sound? (I mean Impedance - 4 or 6 or 8 Ohms and Sensitivity in dB). Or better could you please recommend me some few bookshelf speakers (bookshelf only! as I got no place for floor stands in a small 12m2 bedroom) available now on worldwide hi-fi market that will perfectly match this amplifier sound character and will sound the best with it?
This guide (open the section on bookshelf speakers) broadly echoes @PeterNL's recommendations and adds price categories and speaker preference scores with and without a subwoofer. You should consider a subwoofer, especially if you decide on speakers that don't handle low frequencies very well.
Yes.
You shouldn't need anything special. As long as your audio player sets the output frequency correctly and doesn't downsample, you'll be fine.
Chances are, the amplifier you've bought will have the latest firmware, so no. I haven't seen any mention of stability issues on this thread. It ain't broke, so don't touch it!

Roland68

Major Contributor
Hello dear friends!

I got my A30a from HiFi-Express a few months ago and it already had the latest firmware on it.

For speakers, you must specify an approximate price range from - to.
Heco Aurora 300 are very good in terms of price/performance and can be had for just €300 a pair. Triangle new or used, Canton and Nubert also have interesting speakers.
If it's DIY and expensive, maybe the Satorique S1.

SlamTaz

Hello dear friends!

As already mentioned, I also suggest the Elac DBR62 which has been reviewed here and highly recommended here in ASR. I have previously experienced pairing it with the Sabaj A30a and the combination is really great, and for the $500usd I got the Elac for, both imaging & clarity are amazing and it's like the sound has forceful energy. In terms of sound quality & power, the A30a is outstanding to me. On the other hand, the one thing I like most about the DBR62, aside from it's great attributes noted here in ASR, is that they're front ported so i can put them close to the wall.

Unfortunately, I had to return my A30a after I added a sub to it. The volume level change is not linear between the speakers and sub (svs sb2000), so much that I have to adjust the sub volume every time I have to adjust the master volume. While others have reported the same thing, this is not everyones experience. I was hopeful that Sabaj would update the firmware but I couldn't wait for my return window to close, so I returned it. I don't even know if Sabaj ever got to update that afterwards and it's been almost or more than a year now.

Last edited:

Kiko

Thank you all very much for your answers!
I suppose this topic needs some attached FAQ with all those tips for the amp. :)

As already mentioned, I also suggest the Elac DBR62 which has been reviewed here and highly recommended here in ASR.
Does this Elac DBR62 sound good at low volume with Sabaj A30a? I've read somebody complained that they need some medium volume to be OK, and not good at low volume (maybe it was the particular amp's fault). But I like it's design!

For speakers, you must specify an approximate price range from - to.
Max. 1000-1200$ I suppose

My candidates, that I suppose sound good at low volume (maybe I'm wrong) are:
(but don't know what is the best match for Sabaj A30a, because not sure I can test 'em all with the amp, seems it gonna be a full blind purchase based on recommendations):

Main candidates in perfect low price range:

Acoustic energy AE100-2 (afraid they could be a bit bright and monitor like, but not sure)
Mission LX3 mk2 (a bit cheapy look and afraid it could be too boomy, but someone here at ASR wrote that it sounds even more pleasant than Elac DBR62)
Elac DBR62 (not sure it's good on low volume)

Main candidates in higher price:

Dali Opticon 2 (first version or mk2) (not much info about it, but it seems to be good)
Piega Classic 3.0 (hard to find and not much info about cons., only few very good reviews that is a bit confusing)
Focal Aria 906 (not sure I like design for the price and have read that they need too much time to warm up to sound good)

Martin Logan Foundation B2 Walnut - (absolutely perfect design for my taste, but no any info anywhere about it and I afraid could be not good at low volume because of aluminium woofer and could be bad off axis because of horn tweeter, but it's only my suppose)

Dali Rubicon 2 (in walnut) (I like a lot how it looks and specs., but it's a bit too pricey for me, not sure it really worth the price, but if it's really superb and totally worth it - I will try save up for it)

DACslut

I just ordered a pair of Heco Aurora 700 towers from the 'zon. I couldn't pass up the early Black Friday deal they had going on. The white finish wasn't my 1st choice but the $104 price difference per pair plus an additional $200 promo savings (Prime CC offer) was just too good to pass up. The total damage for the pair was $466.22 inc. tax + free shipping. I just hope they don't arrive damaged and I'm supposed to get them Wednesday.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Thank you all very much for your answers!
I suppose this topic needs some attached FAQ with all those tips for the amp. :)

Does this Elac DBR62 sound good at low volume with Sabaj A30a? I've read somebody complained that they need some medium volume to be OK, and not good at low volume (maybe it was the particular amp's fault). But I like it's design!

Max. 1000-1200$ I suppose

My candidates, that I suppose sound good at low volume (maybe I'm wrong) are:
(but don't know what is the best match for Sabaj A30a, because not sure I can test 'em all with the amp, seems it gonna be a full blind purchase based on recommendations):

Main candidates in perfect low price range:

Acoustic energy AE100-2 (afraid they could be a bit bright and monitor like, but not sure)
Mission LX3 mk2 (a bit cheapy look and afraid it could be too boomy, but someone here at ASR wrote that it sounds even more pleasant than Elac DBR62)
Elac DBR62 (not sure it's good on low volume)

Main candidates in higher price:

Dali Opticon 2 (first version or mk2) (not much info about it, but it seems to be good)
Piega Classic 3.0 (hard to find and not much info about cons., only few very good reviews that is a bit confusing)
Focal Aria 906 (not sure I like design for the price and have read that they need too much time to warm up to sound good)

Martin Logan Foundation B2 Walnut - (absolutely perfect design for my taste, but no any info anywhere about it and I afraid could be not good at low volume because of aluminium woofer and could be bad off axis because of horn tweeter, but it's only my suppose)

Dali Rubicon 2 (in walnut) (I like a lot how it looks and specs., but it's a bit too pricey for me, not sure it really worth the price, but if it's really superb and totally worth it - I will try save up for it)
@VintageFlanker just posted a good offer for the Dynaudio Emit II 20.
(Europe) Master Deals Thread on Audio Product Sales

GiBo61

Hello dear friends!

The choice of speakers and their positioning are fundamental, together with the setup of the room, in determining the final sound signature of an audio system. Any decent amplifier (including those less competent on paper than the Sabaj A30a) should be transparent within a HiFi chain. That said, I'm currently enjoying my Sabaj A30a with a pair of Elac Carina 247.4 speakers. These are floorstanding speakers but a bookshelf version called Carina 243.4 is also available and has been tested by Amir. The Carinas are very engaging (powerful bass, open mid-highs) and create a wide, realistic soundstage. The little 243.4 Carinas have the same sound signature as their bigger counterpart (247.4), the main difference is in the extension of the low frequencies. I had the opportunity to listen to them in two different seller's showrooms (connected to a Naim Uniti and to a Luxmann amp) and I liked them VERY MUCH. They cost around $800 a pair.
I also have a pair of Elac Vela BS 403s, which are more refined (and expensive) but you have to play them loud to make them shine. The only possible flaw I see is the low sensitivity of the Carinas (83-85 db), however my Sabaj has no problems driving them in a 30m2 apartment up to a medium-high level (I can't listen to music at high volume).

screenshot_489.jpg

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
I just ordered a pair of Heco Aurora 700 towers from the 'zon. I couldn't pass up the early Black Friday deal they had going on. The white finish wasn't my 1st choice but the $104 price difference per pair plus an additional $200 promo savings (Prime CC offer) was just too good to pass up. The total damage for the pair was $466.22 inc. tax + free shipping. I just hope they don't arrive damaged and I'm supposed to get them Wednesday.
That's a good price, I'm looking forward to your report.
I actually wanted to buy the white ones, but because of an offer I took the black ones...

THO

Well, you have some very fancy and expensive speakers and I imagine you drive them with amplifiers of the same category. I wonder what made you want to buy the Sabaj A30a...
Ive had many different apms, but latest ones used to drive the New Grand Supreme was the Luxman B-1000f monos. I sold those some time ago to fund another hobby I got, and I replaced them with Hypex N-Core based amps. They maybe sound a little bit different, but honestly just as good. The setup with the Lintons is meant to be a simple budget system, and the A30a seems like allot of amp for the money. Also Im already familiar with the brand. Some years ago I bought the Sabaj D5 dac, and Im very impressed with it.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Ive had many different apms, but latest ones used to drive the New Grand Supreme was the Luxman B-1000f monos. I sold those some time ago to fund another hobby I got, and I replaced them with Hypex N-Core based amps. They maybe sound a little bit different, but honestly just as good. The setup with the Lintons is meant to be a simple budget system, and the A30a seems like allot of amp for the money. Also Im already familiar with the brand. Some years ago I bought the Sabaj D5 dac, and Im very impressed with it.
I would be very interested in your impression if you test the A30a on the Grand Supreme against your NCore amps.

THO

I would be very interested in your impression if you test the A30a on the Grand Supreme against your NCore amps.
Sure, I will post some impressions after it arrives. ETA is around 14. December. Btw, Grand Supreme and New Grand Supreme is not the same speaker. Are you familiar with them?

Roland68

Major Contributor
Sure, I will post some impressions after it arrives. ETA is around 14. December. Btw, Grand Supreme and New Grand Supreme is not the same speaker. Are you familiar with them?
You mean AURUM CANTUS?
Yes, they are 2 completely different speakers, apart from the optics.
The GRAND SUPREME is a conventional, large 3-way D'Appolito loudspeaker with an elaborate housing
The "NEW GRAND SUPREME" has a completely different concept. 4 1/2 ways, new tweeter, additional rear firing tweeter as a super tweeter from 12 kHz, even more complex crossover, even more complex housing and some smaller changes.
Very interesting speaker, but unfortunately not that easy to test listen to anywhere.

Reactions: THO
Top Bottom