• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A30a announced

m8kbv

A30a is a full digital amplifier.
An amplifier that directly converts a digital signal to PWM and outputs it.
So I don't have a DAC to convert a digital signal to an analog signal. A full digital amplifier does not require a DAC.
A typical class D amplifier modulates an analog signal with a triangle wave to create a PWM signal.
The input of the full digital amplifier is only digital signal. However, it is inconvenient if analog signals cannot be input, so we have built in an ADC that converts analog signals to digital signals so that RCA input is also possible.
Hello, how did you send A30a back to sabaj? at what stage is the complaint?

Toku

Major Contributor
Hello, how did you send A30a back to sabaj? at what stage is the complaint?
A30a was returned to Sabaj, China using Japan Post's EMS. It weighs 5kg after packing and I paid 50$ for shipping.
Sabaj in China has already shipped the new A30a and I am waiting for its arrival.

I have exchanged many messages with Sabaj on A20a and A8 issues.
I explained the symptoms in detail this time as well, and also provided them with some video footage of the symptoms.
Sabaj in China also performed a symptom reproduction test, but no symptoms appeared. Since the A30a of the ASR members, including you, had no symptoms, I determined that the problem was unique to my A30a, and sent it back to China to investigate the cause.

Sabaj always responds sincerely to my reports, so I trust them very much.

m8kbv

A30a was returned to Sabaj, China using Japan Post's EMS. It weighs 5kg after packing and I paid 50$ for shipping.
Sabaj in China has already shipped the new A30a and I am waiting for its arrival.

I have exchanged many messages with Sabaj on A20a and A8 issues.
I explained the symptoms in detail this time as well, and also provided them with some video footage of the symptoms.
Sabaj in China also performed a symptom reproduction test, but no symptoms appeared. Since the A30a of the ASR members, including you, had no symptoms, I determined that the problem was unique to my A30a, and sent it back to China to investigate the cause.

Sabaj always responds sincerely to my reports, so I trust them very much.
I read about the "gang error" you described in the A20a, can this also be in the A30a? I did not notice anything like that. I'm glad that there is this forum, there is a lot of interesting information here (also from you). A20a is also beautiful, until I would buy a second one, but I have nothing to connect to:-D

Toku

Major Contributor
I read about the "gang error" you described in the A20a, can this also be in the A30a? I did not notice anything like that. I'm glad that there is this forum, there is a lot of interesting information here (also from you). A20a is also beautiful, until I would buy a second one, but I have nothing to connect to:-D
A20a 2022/A8 uses a general volume pot, so there is some gang error. But my first A20a 2022 was in pretty bad shape.
Since the A30a is a digitally controlled electronic volume, gang errors do not occur. The volume knob is connected to a rotary encoder instead of a volume pot.

A20a 2022 has a symptom that sound leaks to the speaker terminal even if the volume is zero. Both were the same, so it seems that there is a leak somewhere in the circuit.

m8kbv

I still read your previous thread on the A20a, however, I did not read it to the end (I also know that you did not have the opportunity to test the A30a to the end) so I will ask a question:
- sound quality: A30a or A20a(+A20d)?:)
- significantly improves the "drive?" due to the mono combination of 2x A20a vs 1xA20a? Sound quality will probably not improve when bridging these amplifiers?
/reading about the slight problems with the a20a, the purchase does not look very optimistic. /

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
I still read your previous thread on the A20a, however, I did not read it to the end (I also know that you did not have the opportunity to test the A30a to the end) so I will ask a question:
- sound quality: A30a or A20a(+A20d)?:)
- significantly improves the "drive?" due to the mono combination of 2x A20a vs 1xA20a? Sound quality will probably not improve when bridging these amplifiers?
/reading about the slight problems with the a20a, the purchase does not look very optimistic. /
I have not tried two BTL-Mons on the A20a 2022. However, I used two SMSL A300s purchased at the same time and operated them with BTL-Mono.
The SMSL A300 has a different input section than the A20a 2022 but has the same amplifier.
BTL-Mono mode allows for a slight improvement in sound quality. It is mainly due to the increased amount of bass energy.
I bought two for testing, but currently only one is in use. My conclusion is that there isn't much benefit from the additional cost and sound quality effect. However, the evaluation may change in the case of applications that use loud sound in a larger space.

m8kbv

I have not tried two BTL-Mons on the A20a 2022. However, I used two SMSL A300s purchased at the same time and operated them with BTL-Mono.
The SMSL A300 has a different input section than the A20a 2022 but has the same amplifier.
BTL-Mono mode allows for a slight improvement in sound quality. It is mainly due to the increased amount of bass energy.
I bought two for testing, but currently only one is in use. My conclusion is that there isn't much benefit from the additional cost and sound quality effect. However, the evaluation may change in the case of applications that use loud sound in a larger space.
Ok and which plays better, the A30a or the A20A (2022)?

Toku

Major Contributor
I cannot comment on your question until the new A30a arrives from China.

The A20a 2022 is very well made and has good sound quality. However, the sound leakage when the volume is set to zero must be improved.
I have not properly reported this issue to Sabaj yet.

I haven't heard enough of the A30a yet as I've been busy analyzing the sudden loss of sound. Moreover, the check of a detailed function and operation is not carried out, either.

Toku

Major Contributor
A new A30a arrived today from Sabaj, China.
I quickly set it up and carefully checked the sound quality while checking the operation of each input of OPT/COAX/USB/AUX.
Currently, I am using AO200/A20a 2022/PA5/PA3 for my amps, but my first impression of the sound quality of the A30a is that it overwhelms these amps.
The input signal of A30a connects Topping D10s to USB output from PC and connects OPT/COAX/AUX output. The USB input connects directly to the PC.
It's a short time impression, but the sound is thick, the sense of scale, and the dynamism are completely different from the amps I've used so far.
I just hope that it will continue to work as it is now. I don't want to experience defective returns again.

m8kbv

I hope that this time there will be no problems. Looking forward to further testing/listening impressions.

Is there tweeter hiss? How silent is the A30a compared to the AO200?

Can you use native DSD upscaling (Roon, HQplayer etc.) with this amp as you would be able to do with any Sigma Delta DAC?

Toku

Major Contributor
Is there tweeter hiss? How silent is the A30a compared to the AO200?

Can you use native DSD upscaling (Roon, HQplayer etc.) with this amp as you would be able to do with any Sigma Delta DAC?
I have a QUAD S-2 hooked up to the A30a's speakers I'm testing.
I installed an ASIO driver on my PC and am currently testing continuous operation using files from PCM44.1 to PCM768kHz and DSD64 to DSD512.
It works perfectly fine so far.

This amp itself doesn't have his DSD upscaling feature. It simply converts the input signal to output.

PCM >> DSD, DSD >> PCM, DSD >> DSD, PCM >> PCM, etc. There is no problem switching to songs with different formats or songs with different sampling rates. I don't have any habits to worry about.

Even if you put your ear close to the ribbon tweeter of S-2, you will not hear the noise when there is no sound, just like the AO200.

Listening to the sound of the A30a makes me feel like the amps I've been using, including the PA5, are unnecessary.

This time also, Sabaj's response to my complaint was very sincere and enthusiastic. Product defects and troubles are never praised, but the brand image will be greatly different depending on the subsequent response.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This amp itself doesn't have his DSD upscaling feature. It simply converts the input signal to output.
What would be the point? Everything that comes in will be converted to 44.1 PCM anyway ;)

Toku

Major Contributor
What would be the point? Everything that comes in will be converted to 44.1 PCM anyway ;)
The A30a is a full digital amplifier, and no details of its internal operation have been disclosed. There is only the attached internal block diagram.
The AXIGN AX5869 chip is also not very well known.
So I can only say that I don't know.

I think that the A30a has many parts in common with the SMSL SA400 and VMV A2 amplifier circuits.
Looking at the results of the SA400 frequency characteristics in ASR, the results are reminiscent of processing at 44.1 kHz internally.

Attachments

• PFFBA30a-5.jpg
    PFFBA30a-5.jpg
    945.3 KB · Views: 141
  • SMSL SA400 Frequency Response Measurements High Gain Integrated Amplifier.png
    SMSL SA400 Frequency Response Measurements High Gain Integrated Amplifier.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The A30a is a full digital amplifier, and no details of its internal operation have been disclosed. There is only the attached internal block diagram.
The AXIGN AX5869 chip is also not very well known.
So I can only say that I don't know.
Well, for one, the chip only accepts PCM. DSD to PCM conversion can clearly be seen in the picture in the ASRC block. As for the internal sample rate, we'll need to see. From other products using the tech, we already know that they run at 44.1 kHz:
index.php

It's a fair bet that this won't be very different here.

I would not worry about that too much though :)

So if I like using HQplayer as DSD upscaler giving out a native DSD signal it would be "reduced" to 44.1khz , whereas if I use my Topping E30 as a Sigma Delta DAC before it, I could still use the direct-native-DSD out.

Is the sound quality superior only when plugged to USB or is it also much better even when using an external DAC like the E30 to RCA?

m8kbv

According to the manufacturer's website:
USB : PCM up to 32bit 768kHz, DSD up to DSD512
Optical / Coaxial : PCM up to 24bit 192kHz
Isn't it that I connect my PC to Sabaj to usb-c and by turning on Hi-res audio, Sabaj A30a will detect high resolution? So why should there be a reduction to 44.1KHz?

Last edited:

pickyAudiophile

That's a huge, mind-blowing dilemma with these 16 bits - 44.1 kHz for people caught somewhere in between rationality and audiophilia I must say. Could I ever be happy with it? "Not really" any time I started a high-res track (whatever the "true" quality was). Speaking for myself only.:confused:

m8kbv

Is my thinking correct?
I connect my computer to the Sabaj on usb-c and by turning on Hi-res audio, the Sabaj A30a detects the high resolution-that's how it should work, according to me.
In other DACs it seems to be like this.... @Toku what's it like?

Toku

Major Contributor
So if I like using HQplayer as DSD upscaler giving out a native DSD signal it would be "reduced" to 44.1khz , whereas if I use my Topping E30 as a Sigma Delta DAC before it, I could still use the direct-native-DSD out.

Is the sound quality superior only when plugged to USB or is it also much better even when using an external DAC like the E30 to RCA?
I don't feel any difference in the sound quality of each input of USB/OPT/COAX/AUX.
I used Topping D10s and E50 RCA outputs for AUX comparison.

Last edited:
Top Bottom