• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A30a announced

delta76

Major Contributor
So guys, I’ve got my amp today. Plug right into my Roon bridge usung USB connection. Everything is solid. Sounds good, better than my SMSL AD18. Stereo seperation good. Bass is good. Treble good! Noise floor extremely low. Fan noise can’t be heared. Amp runs lillte warm like my old Class AB Anthem STR integrated and I don’t turn off the amp, just let it there 5 hours straight by the time I writing this post.

Everything is just as I expected! This one is solid amp! $499 is a good buy!

About the cosmetic design, I don’t like the 2 handles in front so I asked the seller that can I remove them but they said no. I’ll try to open up the unit and remove it by myself, they can install the handles, so I’m 99% sure can remove them!
it's a class D amp so it's most likely you will never need the fan. Even for many class A/B amp, like the AVR the fans usually do not run (if they start spinning, you have other things to worry about).
based on my a20a 2022 I think the handles are CNC'ed as one piece with the cover, so I don't think you can remove them.

Ducnguyen2k10

it's a class D amp so it's most likely you will never need the fan. Even for many class A/B amp, like the AVR the fans usually do not run (if they start spinning, you have other things to worry about).
based on my a20a 2022 I think the handles are CNC'ed as one piece with the cover, so I don't think you can remove them.
I will check if any dirt collected at the fan! Also I’m sure the handles are attached using bolts or smthg. The chassin A30a is little bit different comparing to A20a.

Attachments

• E5203584-2778-41A3-848C-45E3858D2CF9.jpeg
    E5203584-2778-41A3-848C-45E3858D2CF9.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 252

Toku

Major Contributor
@Toku could you elaborate a little more detailed about the difference in sound signature between the A30a and A20a-2019/2022, AO200 and SMSL A300?
I'm an audio equipment fan, not a general audio fan, so I'm not good at expressing sound quality. Below are my subjective impressions.

First you need to understand the difference between each amplifier chip.
The A20a 2019/AO200 uses the Ifineon MA12070 chip. This chip is a product that maximizes power efficiency and is characterized by extremely low heat generation. The sound quality is very high quality and features smooth sound. However, the output power of the chip is a little small, so the sound is beautiful, but it is a little weak in expressing a sense of energy.

The A300/A20a 2022 uses the same Infineon new chip MA5332MS. This chip maintains the high sound quality of the MA12070 and adds high output. However, the high power efficiency that was a feature of the MA2070 has declined and heat generation has increased. The model number of the chip has the letter MA, but I think it is an evolved version of Infineon's IR/IRS series.
The sound quality of the A300/A20a 2022 feels more powerful than the AO200/A20a 2019. The rise of the sound becomes sharper and you can feel the sense of speed.

A30a is a full digital amplifier with a completely different character from AO200/A20a 2019/A300/A20a 2022. The main amplifier part is the same as SMSL SA400/VMV A2. The internal configuration is almost the same as the VMV A2, but I think Sabaj made some arrangements.
As for the sound quality comparison, the A30a I received has a serious flaw and I can't fully hear the sound, but I think the sound quality is similar to the A300/A20a 2022 and the sound quality is high.
However, it is a pity that the output level differs depending on the input mode. COAX/OPT, USB, BT, and AUX have different levels. Especially AUX feels about 6dB lower than others.
My A30a will be sent back to China tomorrow for problem analysis. After that, I would like to evaluate again when the new A30a arrives.

My favorite models so far are the A20a 2022/A300/AO200. The AO200 is one of them that works perfectly.

Toku

Major Contributor
The combination of STMicro's STA516B and AXIGN's AX5689 that make up the main amplifier section generates a lot of heat.
After an hour in my 27°C air-conditioned room, the A30a's housing gets pretty hot. Intuitively, the heat is about the same as when AIYIMA A07 is used for a long time with a 36V power supply. To me it feels hotter than a typical A/B class amp. The AO200, which I use at the same time, feels a little warm, but not hot.
The A30a's fan does not rotate for a while after turning on the power, but after 30 minutes it will rotate with a faint low sound.

tom_tom

Can overheating can be chip related ? HK Citation Amp had AX5689 and I heard overheating was a problem there also.

OP
P

peterwen

Audio Company
Here in VN, the ambient temp in house around 27-30, I can run my amp 5 hours straight without any problem or hiccup! So I think heating is not the issue!
The temperature during use will not continue to rise. The setting of the fan will only run when it is above 60 degrees. The fan rarely runs and affects the sound, so the actual temperature is rarely higher than 60 degrees, even if it is used for a day.
Thanks

unyora

hi.
What is the sound quality grade of this DAC?
I am using an RME ADI-2 dac.

Toku

Major Contributor
Thank you for your reply! I want to know the performance of the DAC from the optical input and USB input
A30a is a full digital amplifier.
An amplifier that directly converts a digital signal to PWM and outputs it.
So I don't have a DAC to convert a digital signal to an analog signal. A full digital amplifier does not require a DAC.
A typical class D amplifier modulates an analog signal with a triangle wave to create a PWM signal.
The input of the full digital amplifier is only digital signal. However, it is inconvenient if analog signals cannot be input, so we have built in an ADC that converts analog signals to digital signals so that RCA input is also possible.

unyora

So I don't have a DAC to convert a digital signal to an analog signal. A full digital amplifier does not require a DAC.
A typical class D amplifier modulates an analog signal with a triangle wave to create a PWM signal.
The input of the full digital amplifier is only digital signal. However, it is inconvenient if analog signals cannot be input, so we have built in an ADC that converts analog signals to digital signals so that RCA input is also possible.
Thank you.
I would like to listen to the sound without using the DAC once!

delta76

Major Contributor
Or rather, it's a DAC, preamp and amp all in one. I really want to see how this is measured

Top Bottom