• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A10h Review (Headphone Amplifier)

Roland68

Major Contributor
Just arrived.
As expected , feeding it 2v from the Ugreen dongle, there is plenty of clean power for my phones, with iem like the 7Hz Zero I can set it to L gain and keep level between -50 / -60 db for the volume level I usually listen to music.
I'm not going to discuss all the good points that everyone already confirmed about it, so just first quick impressions about a couple of things i noticed:
  1. the volpot is not perfect, sometimes it skips a step, you feel the step physically with your finger but the relays don't click and level don't change. It's clearly a flaw in the pot since from the remote it's always perfect, not a real issue as it is, if it doesn't worsen with time it's perfectly acceptable for this price.
  2. with real sensitive iem (TRN MT1, 22ohm/106db) in H2 gain mode you can hear a hissing noise floor, but I consider it normal in this conditions. What I noticed is that it is independent from volume level in the sense that not increase going toward 0 db, but it changes from a step to another, for example, at -16db you can barely hear it, turning up to -15db it increases, then turning again up to -14db it decrease as at -16db, and so on. At some steps it's more noticeable, at other steps it's less, independently if that steps are more or less -db than the others. Not thtat I'll ever keep H2 setting to listen with those iem, it was just a test.
  3. The led dimming at level 2 and 3 is very close, you can't almost notice the difference. Not really matters since I'll keep it at level 1 (as almost everyone I suppose).
For the time being I'm pretty satisfied, hopefully I'll not see magic smoke this time.
It is a rotary encoder that is not connected 1:1 on purpose. You need to free your head from the normal pot.
Turning slowly will lose steps, the faster you turn the more steps it will skip. Don't look and just adjust the volume.

The background noise comes from the power supply driving the relays, the more relays the louder. This is due to the price and the size. If you have DIY skills, you can separate the power supply internally and supply the control part with a separate power supply.

Because of both points, it makes sense to always choose the lowest gain setting.

mc.god

It is a rotary encoder that is not connected 1:1 on purpose. You need to free your head from the normal pot.
Turning slowly will lose steps, the faster you turn the more steps it will skip. Don't look and just adjust the volume.
Ok, giving a second thought, it makes perfectly sense.

The background noise comes from the power supply driving the relays, the more relays the louder. This is due to the price and the size. If you have DIY skills, you can separate the power supply internally and supply the control part with a separate power supply.
Thank you for the explanation, I don't have such skills and I wouldn't do modification anyway, as said it was just a test in "extreme" conditions that I'd never keep in normal usage, it's perfectly fine as it is.

As a last and silly note, I really love the tiny cute standby symbol on the display when it's turned off.

mc.god

I just remembered having one of this lying unused in a locker, from another device I don't have anymore:

DC Linear power supply

Alimentatore-regolato-lineare-50VA-di-qualit-fai-da-te-trasformatore-Talema-di-importazione-a-doppia-uscita.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

It is signed to be 12V, but inside i noticed that trimmer and a LM317T so I was sure it can be set at any voltage in the range permitted by the trimmer, ad so it is.
I set it at 15,05V and hooked up the Sabaj to check if it catches any noise from the big toroidal. It goes very clean, even placing the Sabaj on top pf the PS, no noticeable difference from the switching default PS, don't know if anyone tried it since this kind of PS costs as much as the Sabaj itself, if not more :rolleyes:
Since I had it taking the dust, I'll keep it at my desk, having 2 distinct PS will make even more easy moving the Sabaj from the laptop (usually in a different room) to the desktop when needed.

Speaking of PS interference, another thing I noticed ONLY WITH SENSITIVE IEM IN H2 MODE AT 0 DB is a light hum noise that noticeably increases if I touch the enclosure with my hand. It's the same with bot type of PS and with or without source connected at the input. Nothing to remerak in normal usage conditions.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I just remembered having one of this lying unused in a locker, from another device I don't have anymore:

DC Linear power supply

Alimentatore-regolato-lineare-50VA-di-qualit-fai-da-te-trasformatore-Talema-di-importazione-a-doppia-uscita.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

It is signed to be 12V, but inside i noticed that trimmer and a LM317T so I was sure it can be set at any voltage in the range permitted by the trimmer, ad so it is.
I set it at 15,05V and hooked up the Sabaj to check if it catches any noise from the big toroidal. It goes very clean, even placing the Sabaj on top pf the PS, no noticeable difference from the switching default PS, don't know if anyone tried it since this kind of PS costs as much as the Sabaj itself, if not more :rolleyes:
Since I had it taking the dust, I'll keep it at my desk, having 2 distinct PS will make even more easy moving the Sabaj from the laptop (usually in a different room) to the desktop when needed.

Speaking of PS interference, another thing I noticed ONLY WITH SENSITIVE IEM IN H2 MODE AT 0 DB is a light hum noise that noticeably increases if I touch the enclosure with my hand. It's the same with bot type of PS and with or without source connected at the input. Nothing to remerak in normal usage conditions.
The power supply is not so important with the A10h/A20h, as the +/- 15V power supply for the pre/headphone amplifier is regenerated via a DC/DC converter.
Also, your posted power supply isn't bad.

The slight humming when you touch it can occur with all devices that do not have their own ground connection. These are practically all devices that are supplied with a 2-pin DC or AC plug, or only have a 2-pin power connection.
Touching leads to a potential difference, which can then result in humming.

mc.god

The power supply is not so important with the A10h/A20h, as the +/- 15V power supply for the pre/headphone amplifier is regenerated via a DC/DC converter.
Yes, i think that it could work letting it at 12V out, but since it is possible to easily regulate the PS out via the trimmer i preferred leveling it at 15v in order to ease the job for the internal regulator of the a10h.

Also, your posted power supply isn't bad.
I just want to check how much it heats up.

The slight humming when you touch it can occur with all devices that do not have their own ground connection. These are practically all devices that are supplied with a 2-pin DC or AC plug, or only have a 2-pin power connection.
Touching leads to a potential difference, which can then result in humming.
I suspected it, never loved much 2-pin ac without proper grounding pin, but as said it can be heared only at limit conditions, so no problem.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Yes, i think that it could work letting it at 12V out, but since it is possible to easily regulate the PS out via the trimmer i preferred leveling it at 15v in order to ease the job for the internal regulator of the a10h.

I just want to check how much it heats up.

I suspected it, never loved much 2-pin ac without proper grounding pin, but as said it can be heared only at limit conditions, so no problem.
No, no, no, it wasn't meant that way, the 15V are required, it was all about the quality of the power supply and the power pack.
Warming up won't be a problem either, since you can easily run 2-3 A10h (or more) on the PSU posted. The included power supply from the A10h is hopelessly exaggerated at 4A.

mc.god

No, no, no, it wasn't meant that way, the 15V are required, it was all about the quality of the power supply and the power pack.
Oh ok, i misinterpreted. I thought that the internal regulator oh the a10h could act as a small dc Buck-booster in a range of some volts. Maybe it could even do it, sure i don't wanna try.
Warming up won't be a problem either, since you can easily run 2-3 A10h (or more) on the PSU posted.
Surely, just wandering about linear psu inefficency versus switching ones.
The included power supply from the A10h is hopelessly exaggerated at 4A.
Headroom everywhere.

ampguy

I like this, using it with he 6xx mostly on low or med gain, the pre outs are great for switching between Roon source and pc, just find the press and turn to toggle hp / pre out busier than a toggle, may swap for an ho100

roog

Forum Donor
I bought mine to act as a basic preamp, it’s a great little box, my only dislike are the blue leds but hey that’s a small issue of taste

ampguy

I bought mine to act as a basic preamp, it’s a great little box, my only dislike are the blue leds but hey that’s a small issue of taste
What gain setting do you use? I use L, but wonder if there is any benefit with h1? Def don't need h2

roog

Forum Donor
What gain setting do you use? I use L, but wonder if there is any benefit with h1? Def don't need h2
It’s not in circuit at the moment but I think it was ‘low’ which gave me enough gain for my power amp

Lilith

With DT 880 I use h1 and around volume of - 12,

Lilith

Hi,

is anyone also having issues with the remote control? The sensitivity when controlling the volume is very poor. It's not reacting sometimes. Mute works always. On off is also a pain sometimes. I think I have warranty for 2 years over amazon.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Hi,

is anyone also having issues with the remote control? The sensitivity when controlling the volume is very poor. It's not reacting sometimes. Mute works always. On off is also a pain sometimes. I think I have warranty for 2 years over amazon.
Have you tried new battery?

Lilith

chatting with amazon now ... Giorgi is his name :D

Lilith

I have to contact the seller and if they can't help I guess I'll get a new unit from amazon, that's what he wrote between the lines.

Hello!
How much is the maximum power of the Sabaj at 32ohms? According to @amirm it is just 1.1W at 33ohm.
index.php

But according to L7audiolab it is 2W at 32ohm.
THDN-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level-1.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom