• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A10h Review (Headphone Amplifier)

Veri

Master Contributor
Nah, that site wont pay the tax, fees. I've pre-paid Amazon for that. I dont wanna struggle with customs. Plus I did paid EUR 72 but packing cost extra EUR 12. No problemo
It actually does have all that included (just FYI).

rwbx

It actually does have all that included (just FYI).
For some European countries yes. For me no. Thanks anyway.
1666618382894.png

(https://hifi-express.com/pages/faqs)

ampguy

I set my a10h, and it works great with my HE-4xx, and Sennheisers, but I don't listen that loud, I could even use the H1 middle goin (0 db) most of the time, but can certainly understand loud users with ~600 ohm headphones wanting more power and/or balanced. For me, the preamp line outs are great, giving me remote volume and mute capabilities for my amps w/o remotes, also the 3 gain levels work in the preamp mode. Now I need something similar for balanced, something like the SMSL C200, mainly for balanced pre out, with occasional headphones use.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
These are currently £85 on amazon uk. Quite a bargin. Going to be replacing a topping L30 that has developed distorted sound.

Veri

Master Contributor
Well, I just encountered an issue with my A20h. I took a short break from listening with my DCA Aeon RT but I didn't take the phones off. Suddenly a blast of distortion and pulsing came out of nowhere, lasted about 10 seconds and then stopped. Waited a few minutes and then happened again. Isolated the amp from everything and confirmed it a third time. I started a return with Amazon and will be receiving a replacement soon. It's a good performer otherwise, hope the second one is ok.

Put my trusty SP200 back online and verified that it continues to be an outstanding amplifier.
Weird, probably a lemon/failing unit. Unlucky

Reactions: GPJ

cryptout

I received my replacement A20h a week ago. Unfortunately, it has the same exact problem of intermittent blasts of distortion and pulsing. Last about 10 seconds and then quiet again only to return at random intervals. This is with the amp isolated. I just sit there with my Dan Clark Aeon RT on and listen for it. It is not subtle at all and I have caught it while playing music too. My SP200 in the same setup has no issue. So off it goes. I may try an L50 next (since I have an E50 already).
That sucks for sure, maybe their quality control is not up to scratch. I have zero issues with mine and have it for almost a year now.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I received my replacement A20h a week ago. Unfortunately, it has the same exact problem of intermittent blasts of distortion and pulsing. Last about 10 seconds and then quiet again only to return at random intervals. This is with the amp isolated. I just sit there with my Dan Clark Aeon RT on and listen for it. It is not subtle at all and I have caught it while playing music too. My SP200 in the same setup has no issue. So off it goes. I may try an L50 next (since I have an E50 already).
Are you sure it's not due to radiation?
The SP200 has a grounded power connector that also grounds the RCA ground and chassis. Maybe some appliance in your house is turned on regularly (fridge, heater, etc.).

Roland68

Major Contributor
That could be possible I suppose but I've had other amps with barrel connectors and none had the issue I am explaining. Could be the A20h is sensitive in my home. Anyway, it's no big deal. I have an A90 and the SP200 also. I was just thinking a $120 amp that drives an H6se well (which it did) would be nice to have around.
It's a pity, it would be interesting to know what's causing this, of course it can also be due to a sensitive power supply unit.
Does it also have different loudness at different gain levels?

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is it clipping? Or is it the head phones?

Do you have other head phones to test?

vext01

Just received an a10h and upon plugging it in it repeatedly goes "click click....click click.... click click....". Sounds like a relay.

If you press the knob to turn it on, it shows three dashes for a moment and reverts to clicking.

Before I return it, anyone seen this before? Cheers.

vext01

By the way, I checked the power supply is outputting 15v correctly. It is.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

vext01

I got it to work properly once, but it's gone back to "click click click" again. So yeah, I will return.

It was good while it was working though.

While I'm here, I may as well ask: is this still a good headphone amp in the sub-£100 price range? I liked this one because it has a low gain mode for iems and a totally black noise floor (even with the most sensitive iems i own).

Thanks

staticV3

Master Contributor
While I'm here, I may as well ask: is this still a good headphone amp in the sub-£100 price range?
I'd say so (QC not withstanding). Only the gain in High is a bit low at +9dB.

Other options at that price:
Schiit Heretic
JDS Atom Amp+
Topping L30 II
Sabaj A20h (from hifi-express)
SMSL SH-8S (from Drop)
SMSL HO100
SMSL SH-6

Roland68

Major Contributor
I got it to work properly once, but it's gone back to "click click click" again. So yeah, I will return.

It was good while it was working though.

While I'm here, I may as well ask: is this still a good headphone amp in the sub-£100 price range? I liked this one because it has a low gain mode for iems and a totally black noise floor (even with the most sensitive iems i own).

Thanks
It's also a good option over $100. The relay-based volume control alone with absolute channel equality is worth its weight in gold.
The Balanced HPA A20h is even better if you need more power.

I have both (along with a few others) and no issues.

vext01

The relay-based volume control alone with absolute channel equality is worth its weight in gold.
I was wondering about that actually. Why does a relay fire as the volume is being adjusted? The amplification is obviously digitally controlled via either the remote control of the rotary encoder...

Top Bottom