• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A10h Review (Headphone Amplifier)

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's no gain function on the V-CAN. Did you get any background noise with the A10h and he400se pairing at the higher volumes?

It may be my desktop setup tho... I've got to tidy up the cables as I've my smart TV, laptop, Xbox, ethernet cables and usb hub all criss crossing each other lol
No, I had no background noise on my setup. I eventually ended going with a SMSL HO100 for my headphone amp because it has a +15dB gain, which works really well with the HE400se. Plus it has balanced inputs and 4.4 mm balanced out.

Chilli

Wow. Why no one else uses this type of volume control ? It's accurate and have a nice visual and sensory feedback. It should be norm.
Yes, I bought it for better volume control. My amp has a cheap potentiomer which has noticeable channel imbalance at low volumes and I don't like to listen loud.
I bought this as soon as it was measured, as I was waiting for a good relay resistor volume control for ages. Since ASR has measured it, then I know it works. It just happens to have a good headphone amp in it as well.
Rather a better potentiometer might be not that expensive, my ability with soldering is still at a novice level, and paying someone else to do it would have likely costed the same as getting one of these. Then, I wouldn't be guaranteed that the new pot is actually a good one unless I got someone to measure it.
Plus, I get remote volume control as well, which is huge bonus, as this amp doesn't have a remote!
I wish I had two of these.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi folks. Normally I've this amp hooked using RCA to a pair of Focal Alpha EVO 50. Volume is good with low gain, I don't need to use medium or high gain. Today I've hooked my AKG K-271 for the first time, and volume was low even with high gain near 0 db, so maximum volume. Headphones specs are impedance 55 Ohms of impedance and sensitivity is 104 dB/V. There is something wrong here, right? I mean, it's not the amp having not enough power to drive this headphones, there must be something else, correct?

shrimp_dude

I am running AT ADX5000 which is 420ohm, 103 db/v. Maxed out volume (0db) on H1 setting is as high as I'll go. That's with a -6db preamp in software.

Last edited:

shrimp_dude

Other than the really shoddy feeling knob, this amp really does everything you can ask for. Channel matching, separate pre-out settings from headphone out, more than ample clean power for most headphones out there. Really a treat for $130 usd.

musica

from the db on the display you can understand how many db I listen to in the headphones?

ampguy

grabbed one on amazon for $79, the a20h at 119 may be a better deal, but for where I plan to use this, the preamp outs will be used. Have low imped headphones < 60 ohms, as well as some he-4xx but I don't listen loud, so think this hp amp may be fine for what I need.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
grabbed one on amazon for $79, the a20h at 119 may be a better deal, but for where I plan to use this, the preamp outs will be used. Have low imped headphones < 60 ohms, as well as some he-4xx but I don't listen loud, so think this hp amp may be fine for what I need.
Yeah if the A20h had balanced pre outs it would be nigh-perfect for me

ampguy

I guess you could use the 4.4mm out as pre-out.
That might work, but for my uses, I'm looking for as much bypass of circuitry I can get. Not sure if the RCA outs of the a10h are just a wire, but will let you know if any degradation is noticed during non headphone preamp mode to amp/speakers. If there is, I'll be moving to that C200 DAC or Topping 50 or something

rwbx

Hi everyone, I need an amp and there's deal in Amazon Eu site. You know people saying this is Topping L30 clone and it can be dangerous or burn your headphones. Should i buy it? My next choice will be Jds Labs Atom+ but in addition packaging and taxes, the price will be double (approximetly 190 euro). Will you spare your thoughts?

pickyAudiophile

Hi everyone, I need an amp and there's deal in Amazon Eu site. You know people saying this is Topping L30 clone and it can be dangerous or burn your headphones. Should i buy it? My next choice will be Jds Labs Atom+ but in addition packaging and taxes, the price will be double (approximetly 190 euro). Will you spare your thoughts?
"Hottest pick" at this time should be that Sabaj A20h on sale for USD 120 on hifi-express website (click on "sale" section on top). Use MANDYCODE promo code and receive a further USD 5 off. Domestic EU VAT of your member country (whichever it is) is included in prices indicated.
If you're less price-sensitive of course built-in-America JDS Labs is a highly recommendable choice.

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
"Hottest pick" at this time should be that Sabaj A20h on sale for USD 120 on hifi-express website (click on "sale" section on top). Use MANDYCODE promo code and receive a further USD 5 off. Domestic EU VAT of your member country (whichever it is) is included in prices indicated.
If you're less price-sensitive of course built-in-America JDS Labs is a highly recommendable choice.

save someone a few clicks :). note that even if you select Ship from EU, it can still be shipped from China. Import tax and duty is handled so no worry on that part, but long shipping time is expected.

rwbx

Thx guys. Sabaj A20h crossed my mind but it's exceeding my budgets for my system plus I don't have balanced headphones right now. Maybe in future I'll get Topping A90 for that. For now I got Sabaj A10h for EUR 84 from Amazon.

pickyAudiophile

Thx guys. Sabaj A20h crossed my mind but it's exceeding my budgets for my system plus I don't have balanced headphones right now. Maybe in future I'll get Topping A90 for that. For now I got Sabaj A10h for EUR 84 from Amazon.
O.K. That one was on sale for USD 71 (EUR 72) after discounts, too. However, Jeff Bezos appreciates the extra 12 bucks.:cool:

rwbx

O.K. That one was on sale for USD 71 (EUR 72) after discounts, too. However, Jeff Bezos appreciates the extra 12 bucks.:cool:
Nah, that site wont pay the tax, fees. I've pre-paid Amazon for that. I dont wanna struggle with customs. Plus I did paid EUR 72 but packing cost extra EUR 12. No problemo

delta76

Major Contributor
the seller on amazon is not amazon, but yes 3rd party has to pay for fee + warehouse cost, so it's usually cheaper to buy directly from "their" store

in return you get much faster shipping and hassle-free return, so not exactly "cheaper" :)

delta76

Major Contributor
Nah, that site wont pay the tax, fees. I've pre-paid Amazon for that. I dont wanna struggle with customs. Plus I did paid EUR 72 but packing cost extra EUR 12. No problemo
I ordered from them once, and even though it was shipped from China, all custom declaration is handled, so I did not have to pay anything extra. Shipping was long (2 weeks IIRC)
However, I wish I had ordered from Amazon so I could just return if I regret my purchase (which I did)

Top Bottom