• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

S.M.S.L PO100, PO100 PRO & PO100 AK - Measurements (Digital Interfaces & DAC)

Dumdum

Just try it, only $35 ( ebay Amazon ) if your equipment is capable of reproducing good sound and your ears can listen. It's simple, try it and check for yourself. It real jump up SQ. .
Oh my… you’re serious! It makes no difference to the 1’s and 0’s if they get from one end to the other… a digital cable cannot impart a sound or improve sound in any way

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buy a glass optical cable from Amazon and hear the difference yourself . . Much better sounding.
There's nothing to "hear" with an optical cable.
Just try it, only $35 ( ebay Amazon ) if your equipment is capable of reproducing good sound and your ears can listen. It's simple, try it and check for yourself. It real jump up SQ. .
No it's not. The Amazonbasics cable is already 100% transparent, and it is the one I use for extremely precise measurements (up to 148dB SINAD in digital domain, 24bits ENOB in Jitter) :
1000026832.jpg

1000026833.png
Way below that any system on Earth would be able to reproduce...

I assumed @pashka was joking... but maybe not?
Apparently not. :facepalm:

TbonePdx

The PO100 PRO adds MQA decoding, but It doesn't appear to be compatible with regular optical and coaxial outputs.​
Can someone help me understand this? Tidal now has MQA tracks. Is this sentence saying that the PO100 PRO won't support it through its coaxial output? Thanks, I'm new to the subject. - Tony

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Does it matter which optical Toslink cable I use as long as it's not broken?

Yes.

Not too long, preferably glass or at least properly polished end terminations and a good, firm fit, otherwise you can get issues.

Onira

I have a (silly or even stupid) question... the PO100 Pro has only SPDIF and i2s outputs
Wthen playing DSD files the SPDIF output does not work so how can I get audio from it? :oops:

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes.

Not too long, preferably glass or at least properly polished end terminations and a good, firm fit, otherwise you can get issues.
I have several old optical cables, well used and abused, and I take no care over storage.

I've never had any issues with any of them.

Contrary to popular belief, optical connections are surprisingly resilient - and I can actually pull the plug out of the socket and just hold it close enough to maintain a connection and works.

I've done similar with optical networks as well.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a (silly or even stupid) question... the PO100 Pro has only SPDIF and i2s outputs
Wthen playing DSD files the SPDIF output does not work so how can I get audio from it? :oops:

Sometimes i2s outputs will pass DSD. But in general, DSD is a huge pain for this reason.

You can convert your DSD files to PCM, either by creating PCM files from them, or (depending on your playback software/streamer/source) by converting on the fly.

There is also a system for transmitting DSD material encapsulated in a PCM container so that devices that accept only PCM will pass it along down the chain.

Still a pain, though, and not really worth the trouble since you can convert any DSD file to 24/88.2 PCM with no audible impact.

Onira

Anyway, what's the reasonable option when I could connect any (cheap, yet affordable) to the HDMI/i2s output?
The are some DACs with the HDMI/i2s input but they are XMOS XU316 based so there is no reason to connect PO100 to it as it would be the same like just going from DACs USB port

Mikig

I got a PO100PRO. silent and excellent for DACs that do not have USB input. To tell the truth, I bought it for the I2S output, to use with the DO300. It works, without any cable problems, just set the two devices in the same way.

Mikig

Ci sono alcuni DAC con l'ingresso HDMI/i2s, ma sono basati su XMOS XU316, quindi non c'è motivo di collegare PO100 ad esso in quanto sarebbe lo stesso che andare dalla porta USB del DAC

I would tell you, if I'm not mistaken, that the I2S port on the DAC does not connect to the XMOS receiver, which is instead connected to USB coax etc. etc. But someone more technical can give more information.

Top Bottom