• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rythmik L12 Subwoofer Review

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Changing sub crossover settings is generally so simple and quick that there's really no reason not to experiment at >80 Hz. It's not like it's going to create permanent damage of some kind. If it doesn't work for you in your space with your setup at worst you've simply wasted a few minutes that you could have wasted on something even more trivial. :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly, if they make a sound stage then they’re definitely polluting the sound stage of the speakers.

How would subs create a soundstage particularly I'm having trouble imagining.....might indeed play around with them later....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They’re speakers with limited bandwidth, when that bandwidth is not limited enough they behave the same way speakers do.
They're mono, tho....but maybe its what you mean by soundstage?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mono speakers can also create a pseudo or a phantom center.
The way the subs are placed that is not likely in any case, but never thought of mono as having the phantom center thing going on.....

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you try listening to your system with the speakers turned off? Usually a pseudo center emerges and that's how i know whether my crossover frequency / slopes are steep enough.
Interesting approach. I never thought about imaging, but I disconnect my speakers and listen to dialogue/vocals coming from the subs. If there is any, the crossover needs to be lower. It just reinforces my belief in the settings that sounded cleanest for music, and it jives with the body of knowledge regarding 80 Hz LR4 as the best overall standard.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting approach. I never thought about imaging, but I disconnect my speakers and listen to dialogue/vocals coming from the subs. If there is any, the crossover needs to be lower. It just reinforces my belief in the settings that sounded cleanest for music, and it jives with the body of knowledge regarding 80 Hz LR4 as the best overall standard.
Yes I definitely agree.

In my experience 45Hz LR2, 75Hz-80Hz LR4 and 100Hz LR8 are the best crossover options if you want to maintain perfect imaging.

mglobe

Forum Donor
I just picked up a pair of L12’s to fill in the bottom end with my KEF R3’s. When I say picked up, I mean I laterally drive to Austin and picked them up at Rythmik’s warehouse. I don’t live too far from Austin. Got them set up using my MiniDSP Flex to do the crossover and room correction. Sound is great, and I’m sure I’ll do some tweaking to make it even better.

Some guy named Brian met me at the warehouse. Turns out it was Brian Ding who owns Rythmik. He asked me about my setup and had some very useful advice on how to do the integration. Super guy and very knowledgeable. Great to see a business owner so involve.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Dr. Brian Ding (PhD) invented the servo system and designed the amplifier circuits for the subs. Very nice guy indeed, and very smart.

Cote Dazur

Question about the jl e112, why is it so expensive?
is there any performance advantage compared to other sub wich are not even half when not 1/3 of the price.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Question about the jl e112, why is it so expensive?
is there any performance advantage compared to other sub wich are not even half when not 1/3 of the price.
I think this adds a lot to the price:

1663335719461.jpeg

mglobe

Forum Donor
I am not convinced that there is. That is as an owner of Rythmik, not JL, and having looked at a lot of data.
Well the JL does have a 1500 W amp in it, so unless it's very inefficient, it can probably put out much greater SPL. Super high sound level doesn't matter to me since I'm using my system exclusively for music, and also because I want to stay married. Others may have different requirements and constraints.

Cote Dazur

probably put out much greater SPL
If this is the case, and it is a big if, would getting 2 of the half price competitor yield an even greater SPL?
I think this adds a lot to the price:
Some expensive driver, that does not deliver superior performance, is a total waste. That would be a very poor justification to be twice as expensive.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
If this is the case, and it is a big if, would getting 2 of the half price competitor yield an even greater SPL?

Some expensive driver, that does not deliver superior performance, is a total waste. That would be a very poor justification to be twice as expensive.
The data / measurements:

Top Bottom