• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rythmik L12 Subwoofer Review

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The data / measurements:
Maybe I am not looking at it the right way, but I do not see anything in those measurements that put this sub at a superior performance level to the less expensive alternatives, and definitely not a twice the performance.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Maybe I am not looking at it the right way, but I do not see anything in those measurements that put this sub at a superior performance level to the less expensive alternatives, and definitely not a twice the performance.
It may or may not be better than the Rythmik's, but it's certainly not twice as good. It just doesn't work that way. Let's assume the JL is better. It's likely incrementally better. And it's normal when you're chasing performance with just about anything: audio, race cars, bicycles, racing simulators, planes,... that the improvements are at the margins, and the relationship between improvement and expenditure is non-linear.

FYWI, I have a pair of Rythmik's in a pretty big room, and they fill it with no problem. I rarely listen above ~85db, but they can comfortably go much louder and sound very good.

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Let's assume the JL is better
Why, because it is more expensive? No need to assume anything, we can measure performance.

And it's normal when you're chasing performance with just about anything: audio
In other words, it is a typical overpriced hi-fi items, with little to no performance advantage but costing a lot more than other alternatives with equal or better performance. Understood, but typical does not equal normal in my world, YMMV.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Why, because it is more expensive? No need to assume anything, we can measure performance.

In other words, it is a typical overpriced hi-fi items, with little to no performance advantage but costing a lot more than other alternatives with equal or better performance. Understood, but typical does not equal normal in my world, YMMV.
No argument here. Like I said, I bought the Rythmiks

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Dr. Brian Ding (PhD) invented the servo system and designed the amplifier circuits for the subs. Very nice guy indeed, and very smart.
In the 90's Cabasse used servo system on the VTA models. Same thing with PSI Audio.

?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
In the 90's Cabasse used servo system on the VTA models. Same thing with PSI Audio.

?
The first DIY sub I made used a servo system very similar to Rythmik's. That was ca. 1980. Velodyne was using an accelerometer-based approach and my tests showed it did not work as well as the voice-coil sensing scheme that I used (as does Rythmik). There are a bunch of other examples, like the old AudioPro subs and Kenwood's SigmaDrive or whatever they called it. The idea of a servo is not new, goes back to steam engines, just his implementation of it. The thread is about Rythmik, so I didn't say that it was explicitly and specifically his version that he invented and not servo in general, figured that was obvious, sorry.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
The first DIY sub I made used a servo system very similar to Rythmik's. That was ca. 1980. Velodyne was using an accelerometer-based approach and my tests showed it did not work as well as the voice-coil sensing scheme that I used (as does Rythmik). There are a bunch of other examples, like the old AudioPro subs and Kenwood's SigmaDrive or whatever they called it. The idea of a servo is not new, goes back to steam engines, just his implementation of it. The thread is about Rythmik, so I didn't say that it was explicitly and specifically his version that he invented and not servo in general, figured that was obvious, sorry.
thanks for the clarification.

BIGS

- I am interested in the transient response of these servo systems. It seems that the advantage of a servo system is that critical damping and a lower -3dB frequency can be achieved in a sealed box system even though it might have a lower Bl product and/or lower internal volume. So in a way this is like creating an amplifier with a negative internal impedance. I also notice that linearity as measured by harmonic distortion is reduced in servo controlled systems as compared to non servo operation. Interestingly I am finding that ( in the case of Velodyne, the transient response ( start and stop time in the response to a 4 cycle 40 HZ tone burst is not very different --- do my observations agree with yours?

witwald

Forum Donor
As the 4-cycle 40-Hz tone burst is well within the bandwidth of the subwoofer, I wouldn't expect the start and stop time of a servo woofer to be very different from a passive subwoofer. The transient response characteristics of such systems, which are usually minimum-phase systems, are defined by their frequency response behavior (magnitude and phase response).

witwald

Forum Donor
Does anyone have measurements on the G25?
I know it's not measurements, but the manufacturer specifies that the G25HP has a frequency response of 14–90 Hz (–2 dB @ 14 Hz) with LINE IN inputs. If one takes a look at other Rhythmik subwoofers where measurements happen to be provided by the manufacturer, their specifications seem to be quite accurate.

I just picked up a pair of L12’s to fill in the bottom end with my KEF R3’s. When I say picked up, I mean I laterally drive to Austin and picked them up at Rythmik’s warehouse. I don’t live too far from Austin. Got them set up using my MiniDSP Flex to do the crossover and room correction. Sound is great, and I’m sure I’ll do some tweaking to make it even better.

Some guy named Brian met me at the warehouse. Turns out it was Brian Ding who owns Rythmik. He asked me about my setup and had some very useful advice on how to do the integration. Super guy and very knowledgeable. Great to see a business owner so involve.
What size room is your L12s in?

14’x16’x10’
How high to you have the gain set? I want 2 in my 3800 cuft living room that opens to a kitchen and hallway. I have a minidsp flex 8 with Dirac that ive beem using for a dac and active crossover for my my main speakers that are bozak Symphonies that go down to 30hz. I haven't even tried to mess with Dirac yet. This is music only any I just want to hear the bass guitar better and listen to no rap or edm. Think I should jump on a used pair of L12 or go for the lv12m (ported) new at 2x the price?

mglobe

Forum Donor
How high to you have the gain set? I want 2 in my 3800 cuft living room that opens to a kitchen and hallway. I have a minidsp flex 8 with Dirac that ive beem using for a dac and active crossover for my my main speakers that are bozak Symphonies that go down to 30hz. I haven't even tried to mess with Dirac yet. This is music only any I just want to hear the bass guitar better and listen to no rap or edm. Think I should jump on a used pair of L12 or go for the lv12m (ported) new at 2x the price?
I’m away from home so can’t check the gain settings right now. I run the Subs off of my Flex, so there is both the gain on the sub and also the gain on the flex outputs to consider. Not sure what to say wrt to the L12 vs lv12m. I guess it would depend upon desired output and budget.

ethanhallbeyer

Anyone know why the Rythmik L22 were discontinued? Doesn't appear to be a successor on their page either.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Well I don’t know, but cost containment is usually the driving force in situations like this. Their drivers are custom made, in house, I believe. Could be they didn’t sell enough units to give workable economy of scale. Dual 15 or single 18 is probably enough for most domestic applications. Some folks would rather do two or more 18’s placed in different locations vs a single 22. And not as many people have the space for a 22, too.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Well I don’t know, but cost containment is usually the driving force in situations like this. Their drivers are custom made, in house, I believe. Could be they didn’t sell enough units to give workable economy of scale. Dual 15 or single 18 is probably enough for most domestic applications. Some folks would rather do two or more 18’s placed in different locations vs a single 22. And not as many people have the space for a 22, too.
Why does anyone in their right mind need what you describe?

Top Bottom