• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RTI10's sound shrill

FriedChicken

I have my RTI10's, and they're great, except certain songs (phil collins - in the air tonight) produce this incredibly shrill sound.

I use the following setup: [spotify or itunes] --Airplay--> appletv --HDMI--> yamaha rx-a810 in "pure-direct" mode --coax--> yamaha M-65 --copper--> RTI10.

Is this just par for the course for the speakers, or is there potentially something wrong here?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
except certain songs (phil collins - in the air tonight) produce this incredibly shrill sound.

Even the original track on an early pressing of Face Value is shrill, if you ask me. Lots of reverb/echo and not a lot of deep bass. It was 1980/1 and an analog master IIRC. CD hadn't arrived and recording "engineers" hadn't discovered they could record low frequencies as hot as they wanted.

I think it was remastered in 2010 but what you are listening to, I don't know.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Phil Collins' voice is shrill as are the voices of many untrained singers.

OP
F

FriedChicken

Well it’s not just Phil Collins. Also “shrill” here is an anthropomorphism. There’s a kind of shrill reverb in the room, especially if sitting off-center.

Top Bottom