• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for an 2.1 Amp (Class D preferred) for USD$800

Gaden Phoenix

Hi All,
I am looking for a simple Amplifier to drive my Mini Maggies. I use this setup in the nearfield with the Schiit Yiggy.

Just need a power amp with a volume control and a sub out (to my speedwoofer RSL 2) for unbalanced input and output.

Need nothing fancy. No 2nd system. No need bluetooth. No need connect to phone, etc. Am a desktop nerd. Just need a good clean transparent quality amp.

I am so confused by all the different amplifiers. And would like all your help. Thanks!

tc2007

PeachTree is running a big sale, I think the Nova 300 would be great. It doesn't have proper sub management but since your RSL sub has high pass and low pass filters you would be covered with some extra RCA cables. You can run your mains full range and just feed the sub directly from the integrated amp.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What sort of bass management ?

tc2007

Bass management meaning adding a high pass filter on mains and then a separate dedicated sub woofer out RCA out usually with a low pass filter. Instead most integrated amps don't do this but just add a full range pre-out RCAs to connect a sub or a more powerful amp and also run the main speakers full range. This puts un-necessary strain on the main speakers as well as more power draw from the amplifier that could be used to make the overall speaker performance better specially for lower powered amps (20w-50w).

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Bass management meaning adding a high pass filter on mains and then a separate dedicated sub woofer out RCA out usually with a low pass filter. Instead most integrated amps don't do this but just add a full range pre-out RCAs to connect a sub or a more powerful amp and also run the main speakers full range. This puts un-necessary strain on the main speakers as well as more power draw from the amplifier that could be used to make the overall speaker performance better specially for lower powered amps (20w-50w).
This^ As well using a proper crossover point for the speakers it will clean up the bass response of the speakers with the load put off to the subwoofer and the midrange should get better too.

ampguy

I'm having good luck with an SMSL A300, the high pass is either on or off at a fixed 100Hz, but it works well with a REL HT/1205 with LS50s in small to medium rooms. (to be fair, the LS50 originals are fine with a full range amp, they don't sound bad receiving full range, even if they only go down to 60Hz). The amp has a lot of EQ options. I don't use the BT, and it doesn't take balanced inputs, only 2 pairs of RCA. The jog wheel or volume control on the amp is a bit cheezy, it's a rotary encoder digital JRC with no imbalance issues at all, just need to use a DAC, preamp, or the remote (itself a bit cheezy, but works). The sound and power are good, and you can get 2 and run each as mono blocks. For $200, it's a bargain. It hasn't been measured here, or anywhere in detail that I've found yet. This is my only Class D amp with sub management.

tc2007

SMSL also released a new amp the AL200 but it's not tested yet.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
SMSL A300 looks good.

ampguy

SMSL A300 looks good.
Matias, in your SINAD list, it looks like you have 84 for SINAD from SMSL specs, but I think that is channel separation? Would be so nice if some 3rd party measured this unit.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi All,
I am looking for a simple Amplifier to drive my Mini Maggies. I use this setup in the nearfield with the Schiit Yiggy.

Just need a power amp with a volume control and a sub out (to my speedwoofer RSL 2) for unbalanced input and output.

Need nothing fancy. No 2nd system. No need bluetooth. No need connect to phone, etc. Am a desktop nerd. Just need a good clean transparent quality amp.

I am so confused by all the different amplifiers. And would like all your help. Thanks!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Matias, in your SINAD list, it looks like you have 84 for SINAD from SMSL specs, but I think that is channel separation? Would be so nice if some 3rd party measured this unit.
No, I am looking at their graph exactly here, which is THD+N ~0.0065% = SINAD 84.

1688747479160.png

tjf

Hi All,

Hi -- I've got lots of Magnepan "practical" experience over the last 10 yrs. (worked at a Maggie dealer) and just about ALL magnepans (even the 3.7i) had serious problems trying to reproduce bass - not just sub 60hz stuff, but even 2 to 3 times this frequency -- all the maggies I had extensive listening experience with (.7i/1.7i/3.7i and the Minis) were improved substantively (in my listening experience of course) by applying aggressive High Pass filtering, usually in the 120hz to 200hz range depending on the size of the maggie in question -- since their "Bass" diaphragm is generally the Midrange driver as well, I experienced (subjectively of course) noticably better midrange quality (voice/strings/brass/piano/percussion) when the maggie in question had a proper High Pass filter (usually with NAD M12 pre/M32 integrated units that have adjustable HP filters -- up to 200hz with a 12db slope).

Now, the Mini's in particular were in need of at least a 200hz filter since the bass/mid diaphragm is tiny by comparison to even the LRS, and I'm not sure I'm remembering this correctly, but I think the Mini's had either a built-in passive HP filter (capacitor) or this passive filter was built-in to the "matching" Mini system bass/woofer unit that Magnepan marketed as a "3-piece" subsat system for "desktop audio", but in any event I'd suggest finding an amp that gives you HP filtering to at least 100hz, I'd perfer 200hz myself, to give the Mini Maggie a chance at better dynamic range and SPLs -- but I can't provide measurements of these results, so...I'd love to hear your "subjective" results with a 2.1 amp that has a proper High Pass filtering capability.

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the ELAC EA-101EQ (I think that's the model number) still available? If so it's a really nice little package, with a useful subwoofer integration app. Looks great on a desk, too.

OP
G

Gaden Phoenix

Hi -- I've got lots of Magnepan "practical" experience over the last 10 yrs. (worked at a Maggie dealer) and just about ALL magnepans (even the 3.7i) had serious problems trying to reproduce bass - not just sub 60hz stuff, but even 2 to 3 times this frequency -- all the maggies I had extensive listening experience with (.7i/1.7i/3.7i and the Minis) were improved substantively (in my listening experience of course) by applying aggressive High Pass filtering, usually in the 120hz to 200hz range depending on the size of the maggie in question -- since their "Bass" diaphragm is generally the Midrange driver as well, I experienced (subjectively of course) noticably better midrange quality (voice/strings/brass/piano/percussion) when the maggie in question had a proper High Pass filter (usually with NAD M12 pre/M32 integrated units that have adjustable HP filters -- up to 200hz with a 12db slope).

Now, the Mini's in particular were in need of at least a 200hz filter since the bass/mid diaphragm is tiny by comparison to even the LRS, and I'm not sure I'm remembering this correctly, but I think the Mini's had either a built-in passive HP filter (capacitor) or this passive filter was built-in to the "matching" Mini system bass/woofer unit that Magnepan marketed as a "3-piece" subsat system for "desktop audio", but in any event I'd suggest finding an amp that gives you HP filtering to at least 100hz, I'd perfer 200hz myself, to give the Mini Maggie a chance at better dynamic range and SPLs -- but I can't provide measurements of these results, so...I'd love to hear your "subjective" results with a 2.1 amp that has a proper High Pass filtering capability.

Interesting. Must look at getting an amp that can do a high pass filter.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I also agree with the above recommendations. You IMHO must offload the bass to a sub. The panel speakers just can't really do any bass. I also say to offload as much bass as possible, up tp 200hz if you can. The Maggie panels will love you for it and your overall experience will be very good. The most important thing is to set the volume of your sub at a level where you can't tell sound is coming from the sub. If your really like bass of course you can crank up the sub. All in all, I think you are on the right path.

OP
G

Gaden Phoenix

The mini maggies are so hard to use and figure out for a noob and casual like me that I have a love hate relationship with it. I have no idea what I am doing with it and what all those resisters and everything else do and if I am doing it right ... Also the binding posts uses and the whole system as a whole is not made for the simple man in mind.

Love the sound though. But now it is giving me mega headaches to get the best amp with a at least 100hz high pass filter. :p

Last edited:
OP
G

Gaden Phoenix

PeachTree is running a big sale, I think the Nova 300 would be great. It doesn't have proper sub management but since your RSL sub has high pass and low pass filters you would be covered with some extra RCA cables. You can run your mains full range and just feed the sub directly from the integrated amp.
Hi hi,

Just realised... After reading your post like no idea how many times...

Can I do the below:
DAC -> Subwoofer (High Pass filter) -> Int. Amplifier -> Speakers
-----------------------------------------------------------> Subwoofer

Can I do that?

If so, the amps I can get is way more! Going through my Subwoofer for High Pass Filter, will it degrade my sound?

Top Bottom