• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for an 2.1 Amp (Class D preferred) for USD$800

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The mini maggies are so hard to use and figure out for a noob and casual like me that I have a love hate relationship with it. I have no idea what I am doing with it and what all those resisters and everything else do and if I am doing it right ... Also the binding posts uses and the whole system as a whole is not made for the simple man in mind.

Love the sound though. But now it is giving me mega headaches to get the best amp with a at least 100hz high pass filter. :p

Magnepan is very old school. Pick up the phone and you will actually get a quick answer. Their website is pretty horrible but they have done a good job of staying profitable and not expanding too fast. Look at Audio Research.

What is tricky about the bass panel is that it can run in single or dual voice coil to address a single planar “driver”.

The resistors help you attenuate the tweeters or bass panels. That said, moving the bass panel closer to the wall or further away can have similar effect as well as trying tweeters in or tweeters out.

A REW sweep will help you identify if you need to attenuate anything with the resistors but in general, running them the jumpers and tweaking positioning is fine.

OP
G

Gaden Phoenix

Magnepan is very old school. Pick up the phone and you will actually get a quick answer. Their website is pretty horrible but they have done a good job of staying profitable and not expanding too fast. Look at Audio Research.

What is tricky about the bass panel is that it can run in single or dual voice coil to address a single planar “driver”.

The resistors help you attenuate the tweeters or bass panels. That said, moving the bass panel closer to the wall or further away can have similar effect as well as trying tweeters in or tweeters out.

A REW sweep will help you identify if you need to attenuate anything with the resistors but in general, running them the jumpers and tweaking positioning is fine.

Sadly I am not in USA. My night is their day :). Do they have Whatsapp? I go see what comms means they have on the website.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly I am not in USA. My night is their day :). Do they have Whatsapp? I go see what comms means they have on the website.
They are very traditional. For the longest time, they didn’t really advertise their email!

Facebook is probably your best bet:

You are much better off using DSP to tune the sound than the resistors in my opinion. What is your setup/distance of the mini panels vs the DWM to your seated position.

tc2007

Hi hi,

Just realised... After reading your post like no idea how many times...

Can I do the below:
DAC -> Subwoofer (High Pass filter) -> Int. Amplifier -> Speakers
-----------------------------------------------------------> Subwoofer

Can I do that?

If so, the amps I can get is way more! Going through my Subwoofer for High Pass Filter, will it degrade my sound?

The HPF in the subwoofer degrading the sound is my concern too. I currently have an 2.1 amp straight feeding the sub via RCA so I am OK for now. I think it's best if you contact the sub manufacturer and check with them about the HPF quality. What sub are you going to use? Never mind, I see it's RSL.

PS: Not to mention, long RCAs going back and forth. Best to buy something with shielding. The whole thing is too messy. I think it's best to stick with something like Cambridge AXR100 / AXR85 both have proper 2.1

OP
G

Gaden Phoenix

The HPF in the subwoofer degrading the sound is my concern too. I currently have an 2.1 amp straight feeding the sub via RCA so I am OK for now. I think it's best if you contact the sub manufacturer and check with them about the HPF quality. What sub are you going to use? Never mind, I see it's RSL.

PS: Not to mention, long RCAs going back and forth. Best to buy something with shielding. The whole thing is too messy. I think it's best to stick with something like Cambridge AXR100 / AXR85 both have proper 2.1

I cannot seem to get a proper Class D 2.1 amp for my use case. Want to ask if I on my amps for 6 hours on weekdays and 14 hours on weekends... is the difference in costing between class AB and D. Will I end up killing a Class AB fast and incurring high power bills?

I really just need a simple but really good quality 2.1 amp with volume pot and high pass filter that is class D. That like seems the hardest thing to get. Phone stage all that,I really no need.

The amps I thinking of getting is the RSL i255.1 and the NAD C338. I not really sure what is the mega difference in sound quality between both.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Top Bottom