• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roast the cable scams!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I want balanced cable for LCD-3, please let me know where I can find it good and cheap. If I really want it I will just get the official one at 150 USD, IMO it's already very expansive, but aftermarket ones...

2.5mm TRRS or XLR 4-pin ?
Ali express or other Chinese webshop ?

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
2.5mm TRRS or XLR 4-pin ?
Ali express or other Chinese webshop ?

But how do you know the quality of the cable? The point is there is no cheap, reliably high quality headphone replacement cables that are also readily available.

BTW XLR or 4.4mm.

Aerith Gainsborough

Had seen several people spending 100$ plus on cables for headphones like hd 6xx. They are just for looks right ?
Pretty much.
The prices are that high because you basically pay for the craftmanship of non Chinese workers making the cable to exactly your given specifications.

I once contemplated to make a pretty cable for my clear myself. After cobbling together all the parts on various distributors I came up to sth like 75€, 1/3rd of that were shipping costs. That was before the need to buy soldering equipment.

Needless to say I just went: "meh" and grabbed a 10€, boring looking extension cable on Amazon. I can't hear any difference between plugging in my Clear directly with the stock cable or using the extension. Nor would I expect there to be one.

No, I did not shake it 180 times..

solderdude

Grand Contributor
But how do you know the quality of the cable? The point is there is no cheap, reliably high quality headphone replacement cables that are also readily available.

BTW XLR or 4.4mm.

You mean the build quality ?
How microphonic or supple it is ?
You won't know untill you have it in your hands or read from someone who ordered such a cable.

yeah.. forgot to mention Pentaconn

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Let us try to explain our technology in a more illustrious manner". Perversion of Language can only serve corrupted purposes.

Well, compared to "illustrative" which sounds a bit harsh, "illustrious" flows smoothly and evokes happy phase-corrected gold plated electrons...
Meaning is highly subjective anyway :cool:

OP
O

Objectivist01

Anyone, any links about pure snake oil with ridiculous descriptions and willing to debunk it?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
chakra stones ... PWB foil ?
Do you really need to debunk this ?
I have debunked 'miracle wraps' in the past.
You don't really have to be a genius to know that certain things won't do anything but create a mindset.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone, any links about pure snake oil with ridiculous descriptions and willing to debunk it?
Look at anything which isn't either a dac, an amp or a transducer or (reasonably priced) cables between them all. There's tonnes of it out there.

The fun for me is looking for presposterous language more than the (lack of ) science claimed. But dont forget, a massively expensive cable will likely work fine (how can it not?). Its not snake oil. Niche marketed and overpriced, maybe.

Pure snake oil to me are things which serve no function other than claiming to do "things" to existing systems and components. Removing problems that never existed in the first place for example (see USB decrappifiers).

Has anyone seen any blindfolds or similar marketed towards audiophools yet?

Last edited:

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Actually, there is a patent

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/bd/b5/16/2d0130d237b85f/US8272876.pdf

It doesn't seem that even the claimed effect is impressive at all, or always positive (but it would need to be checked). In fact, I would suspect that this patent was filed simply in order to be able to claim "Our patented technology... blah blah blah"

nate

I recently got kicked out of Venture Electronics facebook group after I had an argument with the company owner Wild Lee. I called out his claim that the level of braiding on iem cables had an effect on sound quality and that his company's hand braided cables had better sound quailty and less compression than machine braided(tight) cables. He was offended by the snake oil bs that i called on him. We had a heated argument and I got kicked out..:facepalm::facepalm:

Reactions: Tks

ReaderZ

I recently got kicked out of Venture Electronics facebook group after I had an argument with the company owner Wild Lee. I called out his claim that the level of braiding on iem cables had an effect on sound quality and that his company's hand braided cables had better sound quailty and less compression than machine braided(tight) cables. He was offended by the snake oil bs that i called on him. We had a heated argument and I got kicked out..:facepalm::facepalm:

Shouldn't straight cable be better since they are shorter for the same effective length?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Was that only the first believer website you've been banned from? LOL

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It actually can, but not in a good way.

If you have a complex enough braid and use insulation with high enough permittivity the cables' capacitance will skyrocket. The capacitive load may make poorly designed amps unstable or even turn into a low pass filter if the design is pathological enough...

Top Bottom