• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roast the cable scams!

OP
O

Objectivist01

It actually can, but not in a good way.

If you have a complex enough braid and use insulation with high enough permittivity the cables' capacitance will skyrocket. The capacitive load may make poorly designed amps unstable or even turn into a low pass filter if the design is pathological enough...
So you are saying a cable can make a difference ?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So you are saying a cable can make a difference ?

Of course they can. But the only direction to go is down.

You usually have to try pretty hard to make to make a cable unsuitable for short runs of audio signals but some of these boutique manufactures do manage to succeed.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course they can. But the only direction to go is down.

You usually have to try pretty hard to make to make a cable unsuitable for short runs of audio signals but some of these boutique manufactures do manage to succeed.

Always makes me chuckle , all those heavy gauge HP cables when everything behind the socket in the unit is hair thin.

OP
O

Objectivist01

Always makes me chuckle , all those heavy gauge HP cables when everything behind the socket in the unit is hair thin.
Also, the cables from the leads inside the amp the transformers and even internal wiring of certain amps.. they are all generic.. just those 2 meters connecting the boxes makes all the difference.!!!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Even thick headphone cables have thin wires inside. The thickness is the sheathing, otherwise the cables wouldn't be able to bend that well and become too heavy.

Last edited:

nate

Was that only the first believer website you've been banned from? LOL
I just lurk most of the time. But at this incident it was just a "lmao" and then he got offended and started some unpleasant words.

OP
O

Objectivist01

I just lurk most of the time. But at this incident it was just a "lmao" and then he got offended and started some unpleasant words.
Venture electronics guy makes budget gear which is nice but sometimes he is bit over the top with his response. His ego can be easily triggered. I bought his odessey dac and then the mic option wasn’t working on earphones with mics. His solution was to cut the dac in half and send him a picture. He would refund the money. It made sense,as I no longer would be using it getting it free. But somehow I felt it was an arrogant solution !

nate

Venture electronics guy makes budget gear which is nice but sometimes he is bit over the top with his response. His ego can be easily triggered. I bought his odessey dac and then the mic option wasn’t working on earphones with mics. His solution was to cut the dac in half and send him a picture. He would refund the money. It made sense,as I no longer would be using it getting it free. But somehow I felt it was an arrogant solution !
Yeah. He is too egoistic and seems insecure as he can't take any form of criticism.

slovell1

I see no mention if it can be used "out of the box" or if it needs to be burned-in. :facepalm:
You have to purchase The Quantum Burning Technology Burn-In Machine Burn-In Machine at the highly affordable price of $40,000. I bet Valin has two. ;)

zenki

Why do you need a different cable?
moz_cbl.jpg

Don't even know how it got there

eeeper

The only time I had a cable make a huge difference was when i upgraded from a 550w powersupply to a 1300w in my computer. Machine wouldn't even give me a red light on the mobo. After stripping everything off and sitting among the various components a light dawned on me. Grabbed the cable that came with the powersupply, big meaty thing, plugged it in and viola, red lights and beeping. Half hour later the computer it was humming along fine. Discovered after the fact the powercord was either 18awg or 20awg, not enough to carry the amps needed to turn on the 1300w ps, whereas the 1300 had 16 gauge wire.

I am curious though how much stray EM affects the sound of headphones vs larger sources like a ham radio transmitting nearby.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only time I had a cable make a huge difference was when i upgraded from a 550w powersupply to a 1300w in my computer. Machine wouldn't even give me a red light on the mobo. After stripping everything off and sitting among the various components a light dawned on me. Grabbed the cable that came with the powersupply, big meaty thing, plugged it in and viola, red lights and beeping. Half hour later the computer it was humming along fine. Discovered after the fact the powercord was either 18awg or 20awg, not enough to carry the amps needed to turn on the 1300w ps, whereas the 1300 had 16 gauge wire.

I am curious though how much stray EM affects the sound of headphones vs larger sources like a ham radio transmitting nearby.

That's why I use 14AWG cables everywhere. Plus they're only $9. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027JRMD0)

Martin

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
3 Ohms? that would be over 100 feet of 24AWG wire.

Consider how much AWG24 was between your old land-line phone and the local exchange.

cistercian

Forum Donor
I at one time owned a spool of silver plated stranded copper wire...with teflon insulation. It was a decent size
and twisted pair with one wire yellow and another black. I used it all over the decades and still have a few coils
of it as I used it for speaker wire. I had enough for one channel of the stereo and used nice #10 stranded for the other
channel. The difference is sound was obvious between the two. The silver wire side was louder! After I reduced the #10
wire in size by removing some of the strands it fit much better in the spring loaded speaker terminal.

And then they sounded the same! I will say making a decent contact with the freshly stripped silver was always easy.
Over time it turns black. I loved it for RF wiring use and making baluns and such. Teflon insulated silver plated wire
is wonderful stuff...and expensive. It really stood up to high RF voltages well! Much nicer than PVC. And low loss at UHF too!

I can see some wire and cables being expensive, especially for HV and very low loss RF coax. But gonzo power cords
and insanely priced speaker cables trigger me.

Top Bottom