• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Detail Testing

• Thread starter Deleted member 60987
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 60987

You know you've become more interested in equipment and production techniques than making new music when you start listening to "Oops I did it again" for percussive sounds in the left and right channels. It does suffice to test different headphones ability to hear details and even external equipment.

For example recently I got a cheap blue tooth receiver to beam music from my Amazon playlists to different sources

then use standard phono red and white RCA cables to plug into a headphone amp, which is cheap, low quality but offers a ton of options
like 1/4 or 1/8 outputs. 1/4 stereo or RCA inputs, mute buttons for the RCA or stereo in, and buttons to switch from mono to stereo. A toy, but a very functional one:

At any rate I am trying to figure out what the hell I am listening to in this track. I notice it is less audible from YouTube than Amazon music unlimited, but then I've read they are giving us different signals depending on how much you spend. Which would be interesting to compare to a CD. Normally I wouldn't notice or care that YouTube is not putting out audio as detailed as Amazon player but it kind of points out where different headphones and mediums stand. Are those electronic hi hats in the right channel and hehs or sighs in the left? Are both channels using BREATHING as a percussive instrument? One way to test headphones is see which ones can pick up the nearly indistinguishable low in the mix.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It sounds like samples of her backup singers one the left channel before they sing during the main part. They pan left and right during the song though. It's a wire brush on a cymbal for the center channel you hear. I'm on a 7hz Timeless IEM with a Topping D30Pro and SMSL HO100 amp I'm testing tonight. Mostly instruments on that one, some of her songs are really sample-heavy for the techno stuff.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sigh* I promised @Chrispy I would not post or listen to that stuff anymore...Lol. :D ... and I kept that promise... gg*

Top Bottom