• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL VMV D1 DAC

bennetng

Major Contributor
Is there a SMPSU inside? They mention a toroidal transformer, so sounds like probably not?

20180607152342744274.jpg
OK, my bad. I think SMSL is honest about it.

gvl

Major Contributor
Based on my reading on it, a-weighting is something you use for speakers or measuring noise levels for work safety. Why in the world one would use it on a DAC?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Based on my reading on it, a-weighting is something you use for speakers or measuring noise levels for work safety. Why in the world one would use it on a DAC?
It is a very common practice for all audio gear to be measured with a-weighting. It improves the specs. And it sort of attempts to match our hearing sensitivity. It doesn't do a perfect job and hence the reason I don't show it but the precedence in the industry is quite strong.

Now for design verification, you definitely do not want to use it. That is a different situation than marketing specs for a product.

gvl

Major Contributor
At < -130dB those spikes are hardly a concern.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But in the same 48kHz J-Test, USB unbalanced has 8k and 16k noise (probably not jitter?)
The amplitude of the sidebands is different so not jitter.

gvl

Major Contributor
It is a very common practice for all audio gear to be measured with a-weighting. It improves the specs. And it sort of attempts to match our hearing sensitivity. It doesn't do a perfect job and hence the reason I don't show it but the precedence in the industry is quite strong.

Now for design verification, you definitely do not want to use it. That is a different situation than marketing specs for a product.

Interesting. I found it suspicious SMSL folks were resistant to turn the HF filtering off here, sounds like it is a known issue to them.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amirm do you want to do a teardown? I don't mind as long as it still works afterwards.
It will be interesting to do. I will of course buy it if I damage it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Interesting. I found it suspicious SMSL folks were resistant to turn the HF filtering off here, sounds like it is a known issue to them.
I find their demeanor so far to be quite open and nice, showing full screen-shots and such (compare that to what Schiit has done). So I prefer that we don't go there. :)

gvl

Major Contributor
I find their demeanor so far to be quite open and nice, showing full screen-shots and such (compare that to what Schiit has done). So I prefer that we don't go there. :)

Fair enough :)

Krunok

Major Contributor
My sense is that it is internal since I see that changing the sample rate changes the signature.

I think they did not catch it because they were always testing with a-weighting. Hopefully they are seeing it now and they can do the proper diagnosis.

I agree with both. Also, although it is hard to tell to me this seems like a design thing and not related to this particular device.

gvl

Major Contributor
@amirm, can you test one leg of the balanced output? If CMR is done inside the unit running from one leg can be a (cheap) workaround for those w/o balanced downstream gear.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, can you test one leg of the balanced output? If CMR is done inside the unit running from one leg can be a (cheap) workaround for those w/o balanced downstream gear.
Here you go. One is the converted balanced to single ended (SE) and the other, straight unbalanced:

1536265885355.png

The converted signal ended is clean.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Does it mean the problem is in the SE leg of the board? In that case would the U/I converter be "primary suspect"? :)

gvl

Major Contributor
Here you go. One is the converted balanced to single ended (SE) and the other, straight unbalanced:

View attachment 15413

The converted signal ended is clean.

Nice, thank you. So seems like if one must use this DAC with SE amps a cheap XLR to SE adapter is the way to go.

gvl

Major Contributor
Does it mean the problem is in the SE leg of the board? In that case would it be V/I converter?

I suspect the SE output is taken directly from the DAC perhaps just buffered, and balanced are actually op-amp summed first and then rebalanced again. We've been told differential DAC chip outputs can contain a lot of common mode junk.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I suspect the SE output is taken directly from the DAC, and balanced are actually op-amp summed first and then rebalanced again. We've been told DAC chip outputs can contain a lot of common mode junk.

It does, but it can be done properly.

The problem exists there too as Amir mentioned, the dashboard had 20kHz bandwidth so just not visible there.

It does when you measure it like that but RBCD files won't have those higher frequency. ;)

Top Bottom