• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

wassim01

update : after testing with a lg g5 phone ( 2016 ), this SP200 sound amazing, The sound stage amplifier is wide, it is clearly natural and open, it’s the best sound I’ve ever heard before, it’s bizzard than my dac ifi zen n not a good performance compared to my lg g5

Veri

Master Contributor
update : after testing with a lg g5 phone ( 2016 ), this SP200 sound amazing, The sound stage amplifier is wide, it is clearly natural and open, it’s the best sound I’ve ever heard before, it’s bizzard than my dac ifi zen n not a good performance compared to my lg g5
that's a top of the line amplifier for ya ;)

wassim01

that's a top of the line amplifier for ya ;)
thank you for your involvement and your advice. now i am looking for a good dac, but i can't decide between smsl m300 mk2 (247 euro), smsl su-v2 (210 euro) and topping d50s (250 euro). If anyone can advise me which of them sounds the best

Veri

Master Contributor
thank you for your involvement and your advice. now i am looking for a good dac, but i can't decide between smsl m300 mk2 (247 euro), smsl su-v2 (210 euro) and topping d50s (250 euro). If anyone can advise me which of them sounds the best
I honestly think all three are great. Do you maybe need balanced in the future? Then M300 or SU-8 makes more sense.
Do you want bluetooth? D50s.

wassim01

I honestly think all three are great. Do you maybe need balanced in the future? Then M300 or SU-8 makes more sense.
i think i will take smsl m300 mk3. the smsl m300 uses a single ak4497 chip but the topping d50s and smsl su-8 use two es9038q2m chips. this makes a difference in the sound quality between these dacs ?

Veri

Master Contributor
this makes a difference in the sound quality between these dacs ?
No.. theoretically there might be a small crosstalk benefit but in reality there is little to no difference between 1 or 2 chip.
Having two chips is easier for marketing though. '2 is better than 1'. In reality, not much of a point for 2-channel audio. Really..

wassim01

No.. theoretically there might be a small crosstalk benefit but in reality there is little to no difference between 1 or 2 chip.
Having two chips is easier for marketing though. '2 is better than 1'. In reality, not much of a point for 2-channel audio. Really..
thank you so much

Rigel

Interesting. Thank´s for the link.

Maybe I have not understood well by the language. I thought that even if the headphone output was not balanced, the signal processing was done separately. I thought I read it before in some post. But it seems that the mass is shared for the two channels.
In Benchmark HPA4, it seems that the masses would be separated to the amplifiers of each channel even if the voltage is not balanced.

olinko

quick question, I've heard that using one of these to plug unbalanced headphones into balanced is bad, but is it okay if it's not a fully balanced amp like the SMSL SP200?
1583429018620.png

Veri

Master Contributor
quick question, I've heard that using one of these to plug unbalanced headphones into balanced is bad, but is it okay if it's not a fully balanced amp like the SMSL SP200?
View attachment 52963
That is a 3-pin converter. Converting 4-pin (2x hot-cold, fully balanced) to SE can short your amp and possibly even damage it.

But yes, the SP200 is not truly balanced so it only uses 2 of those pins. Why you'd use an adapter is not clear to me though, since you'd achieve the same thing plugging it into the single ended output right next to it. Exact same thing.

It would make far more sense to use an adapter/cable to convert your balanced headphones and connect them single ended, rather than using an adapter on your balanced amp. That's generally a pretty bad idea.

olinko

That is a 3-pin converter. Converting 4-pin (2x hot-cold, fully balanced) to SE can short your amp and possibly even damage it.

But yes, the SP200 is not truly balanced so it only uses 2 of those pins. Why you'd use an adapter is not clear to me though, since you'd achieve the same thing plugging it into the single ended output right next to it. Exact same thing.

It would make far more sense to use an adapter/cable to convert your balanced headphones and connect them single ended, rather than using an adapter on your balanced amp. That's generally a pretty bad idea.
This is just so I can have two headphones plugged in, both are 3.5 mm.

So converting 3.5 to 4-pin specifically on the SP200 can still cause a shortage?

Veri

Master Contributor
This is just so I can have two headphones plugged in, both are 3.5 mm.

So converting 3.5 to 4-pin specifically on the SP200 can still cause a shortage?
On the SP200 it should be harmless :) I understand your use case now. Should be fine! Make sure it's 4-pin though.

olinko

My mistake, didn't look at the picture thoroughly enough
Thanks a lot! :)

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Doesn't the M300 Mk 2 have Bluetooth? If so, that might be the best all around choice for value and options.

Incursio

I was on the fence as to whether to get this amp or not, and I did.

What swung me was that it reminded me of the control panel of the Mandalorian's space ship, the Razor Crest.

tumblr_6edb7a790be0bcba8d42daf3353833fc_3acba7ab_640.png

Also, that slight case lean to the right. I like that.

"This is the way."

Attachments

• control.jpg
    control.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 225
Top Bottom