• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Should I get a balanced dac because benchmark said so :cool:

Not really, unless you want to use longer interconnects. Although, worth mentioning that DAC chips are outputting balanced analogues signals, so creating balanced outputs is only a matter of final costs, because it requires more active and passive components.

L.E.: Most of Amir's measurements on balanced DACs the balanced output was measuring a bit better than RCA output. So, as a general rule, balanced output generally will measure a tad better than non-balanced output. However, under some circumstances (due to the manufacturing process) this rule might not apply in 100% of the cases.

Last edited:

mks

4V input will be capable of higher maximum volume but that's it. 2v is quite capable :)

I contactact Apos audio(I got the sp200 from them) to ask if the su-8 would eliminate the noise I was receiving. I thought it might have something to do with the Usb port. This is before I tried the rca to xlr. CJ from Apos responded right back with a prepaid shipping label for the sp200 and sent out a replacement. Could be that this was a known issue in the first production run as Cj told me that he spoke with one of the engineers before securing the replacement. Apos Audio has outstanding customer service. They are so personable and willing to take care of you. Plus you get an additional 1 year warranty, 30 day free return policy and price matching. I highly recommend buying from them. Out of curiosity, I asked if he knew what the issue was. I will update when he responds back.

escalibur

Interesting test between eg. iPhone 6S and SP200 :)

mks

I just received it yesterday and contact it with my topping d50 with USB to my PC and Samsung adapter for power . Unfortunately I hear hiss and buzzing noise when I use earphones.I tried to use toslink and the buzzing is gone but still has hiss noise .I also have the objective 2 amp and with the same setup, USB to PC and Samsung charger has no hiss and buzzing sound.If I will buy a balanced DAC,it will solve the noise issue or it is a defective amp.

See post #564

gino1961

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yep. The XLR is just the single ended output over other connector for convenience only.

Thanks ! therefore a schema like this could be used to drive a power amp with unbalanced inputs ? the SMSL gain is perfect for a line stage
The measurements spectacular as we all know now

514ZSNOSoxL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks ! therefore a schema like this could be used to drive a power amp with unbalanced inputs ? the SMSL gain is perfect for a line stage
The measurements spectacular as we all know now

514ZSNOSoxL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

It should work, but you should ideally verify how it is wired. if it is wired as in picture, you could use something like this then, yes.
If somehow it's wired differently, there's the potential of breaking things, so tread carefully..

MRphotography

Just got my SP200 on amazon from "SHENZHENAUDIO" it seems I dont have any play with the potentiometer and I haven't noticed any channel imbalance, I will test further. I am using inefficient planars almost exclusively though.

Edit: No play in my potentiometer, but the volume still effectively doesnt change from 3-6 O' Clock on the dial.
Mine has the same issue with volume from 3-5.......

mks

I contactact Apos audio(I got the sp200 from them) to ask if the su-8 would eliminate the noise I was receiving. I thought it might have something to do with the Usb port. This is before I tried the rca to xlr. CJ from Apos responded right back with a prepaid shipping label for the sp200 and sent out a replacement. Could be that this was a known issue in the first production run as Cj told me that he spoke with one of the engineers before securing the replacement. Apos Audio has outstanding customer service. They are so personable and willing to take care of you. Plus you get an additional 1 year warranty, 30 day free return policy and price matching. I highly recommend buying from them. Out of curiosity, I asked if he knew what the issue was. I will update when he responds back.

Update:
So this is the response I got from Apos Audio:

"Candidly, we don't know what the issue might be at this point. But I don't think it's fair for you to be stuck with that problem, it's more important to make sure you have a fully functional unit.
1f609.png

Sincerely,
CJ"

I let them know that the rca to xlr resolved the issue but my other cheaper amps don't have this problem. But as you can see, they were more than willing to help. I love the way the sp200 performs right now, as is. Better safe than sorry though, so I'll take the replacement.

gino1961

It should work, but you should ideally verify how it is wired. if it is wired as in picture, you could use something like this then, yes.
If somehow it's wired differently, there's the potential of breaking things, so tread carefully..

Thanks ! i will do. I really do not understand why in SMSL do not think to adopt this core tech (a real game changer) also for a high end maybe remote controlled line stage/volume control. It would kill the market.
At THX engineers should look also at power amps ... when they have spare time ...

Last edited:

gino1961

I thought the AHB2 was done as a collaboration between Benchmark and THX?

Yes ! i see now ...
(from the web) The AHB2 was a team effort between Benchmark and THX
anyway ... i think that a SOTA remote controlled line stage with both RCA and XLR option would be more important ... to find a very decent power amp is a much less critical task imho Thanks again for the great thread !
P.S. i am a fan of SMSL ... i have many units from them

JimB

Forum Donor

Filio45

Edit: No play in my potentiometer, but the volume still effectively doesnt change from 3-6 O' Clock on the dial.

Ditto, no apparent change in volume from around 2.30 o'clock. Wondering whether to return it because that doesn't seem right?

I cannot detect any channel imbalance at low volume though, or play in the pot.

Last edited:

MRphotography

Ditto, no apparent change in volume from around 2.30 o'clock. Wondering whether to return it because that doesn't seem right?

I cannot detect any channel imbalance at low volume though, or play in the pot.

I am kind of in the same boat but if I wiggle my volume nob up and down instead of rotating I can definitely feel play in it. Now normally I would never do this but since my volume doesn't increase past 3 o'clock I am torn on what to do. I have contacted my seller they are reviewing now.

ghostfox

first of all sry for my english (not a native speaker).
Im using a LakePeople HPA RS 02 and a Topping D10 with HD 600.
ive got my SMSL Sp200 today and i listened with it for quite a while.
Subjective Impressions: clean sound.
But the thing is i cant hear any differences to my 3 year old Lake People Amp. Maybe a tad cleaner, who knows (hello placebo) :).

But the volume control is the reason im sending it back. ive got channel imbalance and then its too loud too fast for me (between 9-11 depending on the track).
The volume pot also got some serious play in it and when nothing is playing and i crank the volume up i hear noises and hiss.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Update:
So this is the response I got from Apos Audio:

"Candidly, we don't know what the issue might be at this point. But I don't think it's fair for you to be stuck with that problem, it's more important to make sure you have a fully functional unit.
1f609.png

Sincerely,
CJ"

I let them know that the rca to xlr resolved the issue but my other cheaper amps don't have this problem. But as you can see, they were more than willing to help. I love the way the sp200 performs right now, as is. Better safe than sorry though, so I'll take the replacement.
Let know if the replacement have the same problem,not gonna send mine back if the same issue.

KNUPAC

Hey guys, I bought this amp based on your review Amir and today the amp is arrived (10 days shipping from Shenzhen Audio - AliExpress).

Loving the amp so far but this following issues happen to me as well :
- Volume didn't change from 3-6 o clock, tested in different sources & headphones.
- Buzzing noise in Low-High Gain when using RCA unbalanced from Fiio K5 Pro as source, but no noise when connected to Hiby R3 via RCA to 3.5mm cable, i suspect the RCA cable is the culprit.

Other than that, everything is fine - should I worry about the issue #01 ?

MRphotography

Hey guys, I bought this amp based on your review Amir and today the amp is arrived (10 days shipping from Shenzhen Audio - AliExpress).

Loving the amp so far but this following issues happen to me as well :
- Volume didn't change from 3-6 o clock, tested in different sources & headphones.
- Buzzing noise in Low-High Gain when using RCA unbalanced from Fiio K5 Pro as source, but no noise when connected to Hiby R3 via RCA to 3.5mm cable, i suspect the RCA cable is the culprit.

Other than that, everything is fine - should I worry about the issue #01 ?

Hey so I heard back from APOS Audio who have been absolutely awesome to purchase form about this unit:

"We spoke with the engineers at SMSL about your feedback. Both of the observations you pointed out are within the parameter of the design. We also opened up a few brand new units of SP200, and was able to confirm that (1) the knobs is not as tightly secured as some of other audio products, and (2) the volume increase after the volume knob go past 2-3PM appears almost imperceptible.
SMSL will let us know if they decide to revise and refine the design of the SP200. In the meantime, you have 2 years warranty, so you have plenty of time to make sure your SP200 is performing as it should."

I thought everyone else might like to know since we have all been wondering about this.

Top Bottom