• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

dmac6419

Major Contributor
VintageFlanker, the point I'm trying to make..

A) For those looking to make this purchase and use the more hefty and stout AC power cords, this amp weighing in at 772g(1.7lbs) may not like it. There are plenty of people including myself who like to create their own cables.

B) A light google search of the conductivity of copper (based on science, or some form of scientific process) goes to show it is superior to brass.

Sorry, I may have jumped the gun here and haven't discovered what the common/traditional metal type is used to create the majority of black AC power cables out there. As far as I know they are not copper because that would ramp cost up. Pretty sure it's something less than copper, anyway. Please, someone correct me if I am wrong!

Nobody likes BS myths. I get it. I'm sure you guys are tired of getting that here because this is a science based, measurement/statistic driven community for the most part. For me, I'm tired of getting flamed on and having people place their BS assumptions into my lap. The only myth is the one you have created, Sir. Or Ms. Whatever it is.
I have some vintage power cords for sale from the 80's and 90's 386, 486 old computer cords I'm pretty sure they're copper,copper was cheap in those days.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm still a little confused about the brass cable thing myself... That's ok. I get confused easily.
I think the confusion is only between conductor (basically copper used everywhere) and connector (basically brass used everywhere, unless in Audiophile plugs for some reason I try to understand).

Back to the SP200: @amir could use this (or any SOTA gear) as a benchmark to see if measurements may be affected by a different power cable. Still, I have few doubts about the outcome.;)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I think the confusion is only between conductor (basically copper used everywhere) and connector (basically brass used everywhere, unless in Audiophile plugs for some reason I try to understand).

Back to the SP200: @amir could use this (or any SOTA gear) as a benchmark to see if measurements may be affected by a different power cable. Still, I have few doubts about the outcome.;)

Ok...I guess I wasn't as confused as I thought...:cool:

Scriba

I heard a matching DAC for this amp is in the works and will be released at January. Any informations about prices yet?

Veri

Master Contributor
Last edited:

Giulio

So, @amirm, can you post THD vs frequency with 90 kHz bandwidth and the classic multitone?

@amirm , why are you deliberately ignoring this? Everyone here is praising the performance of this amplifier by just looking at the performance at 1 kHz (ok, there's the IMD, but we don't have proof that its performance can be generalized for the entire audio bandwidth)

Veri

Master Contributor
@amirm , why are you deliberately ignoring this? Everyone here is praising the performance of this amplifier by just looking at the performance at 1 kHz (ok, there's the IMD, but we don't have proof that its performance can be generalized for the entire audio bandwidth)
Correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't do it for any of the thx amplifiers. massdrop/monoprice and this one. He's not "deliberately" not doing it for the SP200, it's just that when questions are asked weeks after he had the item, yeah they probably won't be done....

Last edited:

Giulio

Correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't do it for any of the thx amplifiers. massdrop/monoprice and this one. He's not "deliberately" not doing it for the SP200, it's just that when questions are asked weeks after he had the item, yeah they probably won't be done....
But he still has it (or at least, he had it when I first asked for this test, as confirmed by himself).

I appreciate very much this forum and amir's efforts, but what it's really missing is a proper evaluation protocol, in the sense that we almost never got a full set of measurements.
What I would prefer is to always have the same set of measurements for all the amps. It also makes the comparison easier.

Veri

Master Contributor
But he still has it (or at least, he had it when I first asked for this test, as confirmed by himself).

I appreciate very much this forum and amir's efforts, but what it's really missing is a proper evaluation protocol, in the sense that we almost never got a full set of measurements.
What I would prefer is to always have the same set of measurements for all the amps. It also makes the comparison easier.
I do understand your concern, just not sure it is valid, in this case. He has been doing multitones for DACs for a while now,
but for headphone amps, I only recall he did it for Archel 2 on request: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...one-amp-review-another-champ.9438/post-249077

So he really hasn't been doing multitone tests on headphone amps in general. In that sense he has in fact been adhering to his own evaluation protocol. If several people had been asking for multitones I'm sure they would have been provided.

Considering the amount of reviews that are done on a weekly basis, I understand Amir can't do every test for every product. So it's a little difficult to then call him out when you feel some test is missing. Especially on page 18 of the review ;)...

Giulio

I do understand your concern, just not sure it is valid, in this case. He has been doing multitones for DACs for a while now,
but for headphone amps, I only recall he did it for Archel 2 on request: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...one-amp-review-another-champ.9438/post-249077

So he really hasn't been doing multitone tests on headphone amps in general. In that sense he has in fact been adhering to his own evaluation protocol. If several people had been asking for multitones I'm sure they would have been provided.

Considering the amount of reviews that are done on a weekly basis, I understand Amir can't do every test for every product. So it's a little difficult to then call him out when you feel some test is missing. Especially on page 18 of the review ;)...

I understand that it can be complicated, but I think that some kind of analysis at different frequencies should be part of the evaluation protocol even for the amps. Who cares about 0.00001% THD @ 1kHz if you get 20% @ 1.5 kHz? (I'm exaggerating, obviously ).

Giulio

I understand that it can be complicated, but I think that some kind of analysis at different frequencies should be part of the evaluation protocol even for the amps. Who cares about 0.00001% THD @ 1kHz if you get 20% @ 1.5 kHz? (I'm exaggerating, obviously ).
Otherwise the manufacturers can fake the results by using a very narrow notch filter at 1 kHz.

Veri

Master Contributor
The SMSL P1 is a high-end headphone amplifier with symmetrical architecture. Its output circuitry based on discrete components allows it to achieve excellent performance with a distortion level of 0.00019%, a signal-to-noise ratio of 120dB or an output current 5 times higher than their previous headphone amplifiers.

So distortion is same as SP200, SNR is same as SP200. All you get is a true balanced XLR output and way more power, which most people/headphones probably won't need. In unbalanced/SE performance, it's actually worse than SP200.

Scriba

so in the relased version they have B and not A pots anymore. what are the disadvantages of that changed specs and how can you bypass them?

Giulio

so in the relased version they have B and not A pots anymore. what are the disadvantages of that changed specs and how can you bypass them?

The main disadvantage is channel imbalance for attenuation greater than 30dB. It is definitely a problem for IEMs.
Another disadvantage, not related to this, is that we won't see any performance measurements taking into account the entire audio bandwidth (we have just the sinad at 1kHz and IMD vs level).

My suggestion is not to buy it.

Scriba

can't the channel imbalance be fixed if you have the volume on the amp at max and regulating the volume with the dac?

Top Bottom