• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

olinko

The problem is with Aliexpress you probably have to pay a lot of import fees. The SP200 is aswell on amazon.de (germany), but with 289 Euro. So I think it's not really worth with Aliexpress.
The Chinese don't have a problem with bending the rules a little bit, that's all I'm gonna say.... ;)

olinko

I just checked aliexpress, strangely I don't see a sale, the offer is 289.99
1573470169571.png

Shane D

Forum Donor

FireLion

The main disadvantage is channel imbalance for attenuation greater than 30dB. It is definitely a problem for IEMs.
Another disadvantage, not related to this, is that we won't see any performance measurements taking into account the entire audio bandwidth (we have just the sinad at 1kHz and IMD vs level).

My suggestion is not to buy it.

Was just about to buy it! what is your main concern here? I am interested to know.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
that seems to be a valid concern in production units right now. maybe hold off.

mshenay

I actually do have one of these shipping out my way

I know ATOM get's a lot of praise here but I find it lacks power for my older harder to drive Planarmagnetics, 2012 PreFazor LCD 2 and HE 560 and subjectively it sounds "soft" with those

Anyways moving past that I appreciate the slightly better THD and overall performance of this unit and the addition power output over ATOM. I'll have a subjective review for those interested and @SMSL-Mandy & @SMSL_Liu having an amp utilize a Dual Mono configuration with XLR Inputs is really pretty awesome, with what little I know about balanced TRUE Balanced Topography is quite complex [and NOT cheap to design/build]. Something to do with grounds? I dunno I'm sure @fdg and @solderdude have more information on this and having heard a few "truly balanced" solid states I can certainly say it's something I'd like to own

But my point here is a Dual Mono amp running the THX 888 as cleanly as this unit does is something to be excited about. An yea I'll be doing some subjective comparisons to ATOM as soon as mine arrives

Still again @SMSL-Mandy & @SMSL_Liu I do appreciate the work your company has put in to bring this kind of performance into the market at such an aggressive price [and for having unit's on hand and ready to ship out!]

The main disadvantage is channel imbalance for attenuation greater than 30dB. It is definitely a problem for IEMs.
Another disadvantage, not related to this, is that we won't see any performance measurements taking into account the entire audio bandwidth (we have just the sinad at 1kHz and IMD vs level).

My suggestion is not to buy it.

Why would you need anything more than Atom for IEMS? Also yea a high output dual mono amp likely isn't the best choice for your super sensitive In Ear Monitors... still I applaud those of you who want the best output for your in ear. Can't say I understand why you'd go IEM over Fullsize Headphone but live and let live!

snowsurfer

Just in case anyone is wondering, I just ordered one from Shenzhen Audio's Ali Express store for 232€ shipped to Spain. It was 240€ and got some random coupons. There were two shipping options, DHL and the regular Ali Express one, both free. I chose the non-DHL one, since there is no escaping customs if you go that route. With the "regular" shipping they usually don't get stopped at customs. I just couldn't handle the latest Drop 789 delay and I cancelled.

Shane D

Forum Donor
Just in case anyone is wondering, I just ordered one from Shenzhen Audio's Ali Express store for 232€ shipped to Spain. It was 240€ and got some random coupons. There were two shipping options, DHL and the regular Ali Express one, both free. I chose the non-DHL one, since there is no escaping customs if you go that route. With the "regular" shipping they usually don't get stopped at customs. I just couldn't handle the latest Drop 789 delay and I cancelled.

I just ordered from that store. Shenzhen Audio sent me to their AliExpress store. My price was $252.99. DHL was the chosen route for Canada. It says 7 to 16 days.
Wonder if they are as "creative" as the main store with the paperwork?

I have never bought anything from AliExpress before, so hopefully it goes well.

Shane D

snowsurfer

I just ordered from that store. Shenzhen Audio sent me to their AliExpress store. My price was $252.99. DHL was the chosen route for Canada. It says 7 to 16 days.
Wonder if they are as "creative" as the main store with the paperwork?

I have never bought anything from AliExpress before, so hopefully it goes well.

Shane D

Shenzhen Audio is legit, don't worry about it. They will even reply e-mails (during Chinese working hours of course) pretty quickly, faster than many local stores.

Scriba

Sorry englisch is not my native language. Can you explain what was your problem with DHL? I ordered my sp200 with DHL and now I don't know if i did something wrong.

Scriba

He meant DHL to Europe will come with taxes and duties. Slower post has more chance of not being inspected/no costs.

all right thank you, I canceled my order and have now aliexpress shipment.

Top Bottom