• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

August

Interesting, where did you read this? Long-term out-of-stock period? So basically, same situation as massdrop/monoprice/... ?

The official discussion group located in smsl China, the statement issued by the staff (boss). The reason is that the number of reservations exceeded expectations (>1000). It needs to be produced in a certain amount to be sent to overseas distributors again.

Veri

Master Contributor
The official discussion group located in smsl China, the statement issued by the staff (boss). The reason is that the number of reservations exceeded expectations (>1000). It needs to be produced in a certain amount to be sent to overseas distributors again.
>1000, Wow! I suppose there was a lot of demand from Asian market which was not keen on ordering from massdrop..?
Sure is good for SMSL :D hole in the market.

August

>1000, Wow! I suppose there was a lot of demand from Asian market which was not keen on ordering from massdrop..?
The delayed supply of 789 also brought some customers to SMSL.:cool:

maxxevv

Major Contributor

There is quite a big difference in costs when you compare the 2 actually.

i) A US$100/- difference in retail price.
ii) A US$50/- difference in shipping costs to most places in Asia which can get free / "almost free" shipping for the SP200 from Asian based websites.

deafenears

Forum Donor
According to the official statement, there will be no price cuts at 11.11 (not including the dealer's own promotion).
A couple of the stores on AliExpress are advertising $260.99 come 11.11.

Attachments

• 2er0UFxG.png
    2er0UFxG.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 279

Veri

Master Contributor
A couple of the stores on AliExpress are advertising $260.99 come 11.11.
But, if the supply is already running out considerably, this means people will likely be pre-ordering and waiting... kind of false advertising.
Personally if I wanted one in reasonable time I'd order soon rather than later, after reading past comments about availability.

Darielsantan

Im sick of waiting for the drop 789. Will this be a good replacement? I own a Hifiman Arya, HD6xx and Argon MK3 with balanced cable waiting to be used. Hoping to buy a Rosson Audio RAD-01 or HD820 for christmas. My current setup is a D70+Atom(which is going to my office to pair it with my D10 once I get an amp for my home setup)

Veri

Master Contributor
Im sick of waiting for the drop 789. Will this be a good replacement? I own a Hifiman Arya, HD6xx and Argon MK3 with balanced cable waiting to be used. Hoping to buy a Rosson Audio RAD-01 or HD820 for christmas. My current setup is a D70+Atom(which is going to my office to pair it with my D10 once I get an amp for my home setup)
Atom and THX are very unlikely to sound even a little different, they measure just about the same.

I personally ordered the SP200 because it is less plasticky, has XLR inputs, and has higher gain which suits me better than Atom. :)

Last edited:

Shane D

Forum Donor
So, with all the SMSL input here, what is the warranty? Is it just one year?

I really like my SU-8 and wouldn't mind buying another SMSL product at all, but I really like the idea of a five year warranty.

Shane D

Jumbotron

Just ordered mine from Aliexpress' SMSL official store. I am from Spain. My initial idea was buying my unit from some European online shop. Only webshop I found was from France. Sadly, they had no actual availability of the SP200. For that reason and also because of the total cost (€299 plus the delivery fee to Spain), I finally ordered it directly from SMSL official store in Aliexpress.

aztecsurf

Yeah, it's great when you can order something and it gets delivered in < 1 week...

Instead of waiting months and months and then to find out..... it's delayed and you have to wait more months... ugh.

Exactly. Awesome to get it quickly. This is going to be interesting. Monoprice releases their product next month, Massdrop is a waiting list. I see some serious competition coming from SMSL! :)

On a side note. I think the volume button can be swapped out easily. Thinking about something with more punch! Say Anodized knurled red?

red1.jpg

Last edited:

e1win

Will it work with hifiman he6? It needs around 3w per channel so i thinks between sp200 or monolith‍♂️
DAC topping dx7 pro

Veri

Master Contributor
Will it work with hifiman he6? It needs around 3w per channel so i thinks between sp200 or monolith‍♂️
DAC topping dx7 pro
Monolith over balanced XLR will be best. But SP200 in high gain might be enough, depending on your listening levels (and the DAC's output level).

e1win

Top Bottom