• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

SMSL_Liu

Audio Company
I am a total noob trying to work out what I'm looking at with this stuff. So is this balanced internal circuitry or not? I had a message from both SMSL and Shenzen Audio saying internals were balanced.
Nope, I can tell you, there is just 2 AMP inside the SP200, so it is not a real balanced hp out, but It's indeed different from SE out ! in this balanced jack, the "-" signal of 2 headphone speakers is not connected together, it will return to the AMP of its own, so even it is not a real balanced(4 amps), but it is a real balanced design, the performance is not the same as SE out, especially crosstalk, is a lot better!

Dride1401

Nope, I can tell you, there is just 2 AMP inside the SP200, so it is not a real balanced hp out, but It's indeed different from SE out ! in this balanced jack, the "-" signal of 2 headphone speakers is not connected together, it will return to the AMP of its own, so even it is not a real balanced(4 amps), but it is a real balanced design, the performance is not the same as SE out, especially crosstalk, is a lot better!

Thank you for explaining!

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi SMSL_Liu. Silly question, but is there protection for DC offset on the inputs? Something that blocks any incoming DC?
Most amplifiers have this but I just want to be sure. DC can damage equipment in the worst case, after all.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@amirm,
can you measure the crosstalk in SE? Given the relatively cheap potentiometer, it can be an audible issue
Potentiometers have much higher impedance than headphones. Your headphone jack will always be the limitation for your crosstalk. XLR connector allows separated ground return but still. These are good performing potentiometers.

Giulio

Potentiometers have much higher impedance than headphones. Your headphone jack will always be the limitation for your crosstalk. XLR connector allows separated ground return but still. These are good performing potentiometers.

Anyway, I think that we should see the measurements of this amp at a different frequency than 1kHz. At least before praising its performance. But no one seems interested.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Anyway, I think that we should see the measurements of this amp at a different frequency than 1kHz. At least before praising its performance. But no one seems interested.
Emmm. I'm interested as well actually.

Schackmannen

Forum Donor
To be fair he already tested different frequencies in the IMD test but yes it would be nice to see the other tests as well.

SMSL_Liu

Audio Company
Hi SMSL_Liu. Silly question, but is there protection for DC offset on the inputs? Something that blocks any incoming DC?
Most amplifiers have this but I just want to be sure. DC can damage equipment in the worst case, after all.
yes, there a cap for every channel, so the DC will not go into the amplifier.

hangcheng

yes, there a cap for every channel, so the DC will not go into the amplifier.

so, for this type of 2 amp balance output, necessary to pair with a blance input dac? hesitate to update my ktb to a balanced dac....like su8s or d70

thanks!

Veri

Master Contributor
so, for this type of 2 amp balance output, necessary to pair with a blance input dac? hesitate to update my ktb to a balanced dac....like su8s or d70

thanks!
Not necessary at all, read earlier in the thread: single ended has a slight edge in performance over balanced input. Read all posts by @SMSL_Liu.

Alerma

From the pictures posted by @SMSL-Mandy I can assume the power supply is of switching type. Any concerns about reliability?

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If the se and balanced are different, what is the difference?

Tavo Diaz

Hi all, a newbie here.
Can anyone tell me if I should wait for the 11.11 on Aliexpress to buy the SP200?
Thank you.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi all, a newbie here.
Can anyone tell me if I should wait for the 11.11 on Aliexpress to buy the SP200?
Thank you.
Well there's a good chance there will be at least some discount, but slower processing. Decide for yourself which is more important.. :)

August

According to the official statement, there will be no price cuts at 11.11 (not including the dealer's own promotion). And the first batch of limited production will enter the long-term out-of-stock period at the end of next month and continue until the end of the Chinese New Year.

Veri

Master Contributor
According to the official statement, there will be no price cuts at 11.11 (not including the dealer's own promotion). And the first batch of limited production will enter the long-term out-of-stock period at the end of next month and continue until the end of the Chinese New Year.
Interesting, where did you read this? Long-term out-of-stock period? So basically, same situation as massdrop/monoprice/... ?

Sure sounds like THX is playing some availability game.

Top Bottom