• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC

Music1969

Major Contributor
HI @MC_RME

For the Pro version with analogue input, is it possible to use the analogue-to-headphone path bypassing ADC?

I know the Pro version is mostly suited to Pro use but the use case I am asking:

For example, for use with a digital source and an analogue source (and not having to buy a separate headamp).

PPP

HI @MC_RME

For the Pro version with analogue input, is it possible to use the analogue-to-headphone path bypassing ADC?

I know the Pro version is mostly suited to Pro use but the use case I am asking:

For example, for use with a digital source and an analogue source (and not having to buy a separate headamp).

not possible. bypass only works for the trim down version (ADI-2), not the Pro.

Music1969

Major Contributor
not possible. bypass only works for the trim down version (ADI-2), not the Pro.

Thanks for the info.

1588602343964.png

PPP

You are welcome. To me the most important value Pro offers is all the DSP features, so I would like to use it that way. Bypassing the ad da won’t give me those great DSP features.

If you only need a pure analogue preamp or headphone amp, you can go for a traditional solution and look for various hp amps discussed here. ADI-2 also works great, but you may lose the ability of USB input/output.

But believe me you will miss the DSP features in the Pro. Once you are into it you will never live without it.

Last edited:

Bliman

I have bought the RME DAC not really long ago. And I don't know if it is related to the weather here (not much rain).
But many times when I touch the unit (for setting off) it gives me an electric shock (I can see the spark fly). Just now it did it again and I heard a plop in the speakers from it.
I have no clue why it does that. It can happen with my power amplifier too. And this started happening when I changed my Grace Design m902 (where it never happened) for the RME DAC. Can anyone tell me what is going on? Must I do something else on the RME to ground it or something? Am I missing something? It is pretty annoying because I hate those shocks, and also I don't know if it harms the gear.

Alan S

I have bought the RME DAC not really long ago. And I don't know if it is related to the weather here (not much rain).
But many times when I touch the unit (for setting off) it gives me an electric shock (I can see the spark fly). Just now it did it again and I heard a plop in the speakers from it.
I have no clue why it does that. It can happen with my power amplifier too. And this started happening when I changed my Grace Design m902 (where it never happened) for the RME DAC. Can anyone tell me what is going on? Must I do something else on the RME to ground it or something? Am I missing something? It is pretty annoying because I hate those shocks, and also I don't know if it harms the gear.
You can ground it through PC USB.

Alan S

Yeah I only use a cd player. It is not connected to a pc.
I think it is static discharge and it is nasty. It also happens when I touch my power amplifier.
Can I do something against it?
EZ,connect USB to a PC with ground.:p
Music through SPDIF, but ground through USB.
Oh, I almost forgot,You don't need to turn on the PC, just make sure that power supply is OK.

Last edited:

Bliman

EZ,connect USB to a PC with ground.:p
Music through SPDIF, but ground through USB.
Oh, I almost forgot,You don't need to turn on the PC, just make sure that power supply is OK.
That is an original one :) . Maybe I should speed up my efforts to set my catalogue to a mini pc.

Top Bottom