• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC

Bliman

I don't know what is happening. It seems like when I touch the pin of the mains I sometimes get a little static shock. And then I don't get it when I touch the gear. So it seems like it is indeed static.
But now I am getting a crackle in my left loudspeaker at random times. I have switched the loudspeaker cables, I have unplugged the cd player, switched the plug where everything is plugged into another socket and none of it all works.
Here is a video of it
https://streamable.com/2a8vj6

funkur

I’ve had this unit for a few months now and really enjoy it. However, I have to go back a few pages and agree with the poster that 15v sounds “thicker.”

I took the RME with me to a dealer to audition the Chord Qutest and I grabbed the wrong DC power supply (15V).
I decided the Qutest wasn’t for me and upon getting home, realized I took the wrong PSU. So I did do an A/B and definitely preferred the 15V (though the RME did run hot).

I know this is ASR and I can’t back it up, but it’s worth a listen if you happen to have a spare PSU. The RME accepts 9V-15V.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I’ve had this unit for a few months now and really enjoy it. However, I have to go back a few pages and agree with the poster that 15v sounds “thicker.”

I took the RME with me to a dealer to audition the Chord Qutest and I grabbed the wrong DC power supply (15V).
I decided the Qutest wasn’t for me and upon getting home, realized I took the wrong PSU. So I did do an A/B and definitely preferred the 15V (though the RME did run hot).

I know this is ASR and I can’t back it up, but it’s worth a listen if you happen to have a spare PSU. The RME accepts 9V-15V.

I don't know what you mean by thicker sound.

Do you mean it has better dynamics? More bass?

Or is it "slow" somehow?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m running the RME into a Flux Lab FA-10 for headphones. Audeze LCD-XC and ZMF Verite C currently.
Is that the monster that delivers 16W at 32 ohms?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So I did do an A/B and definitely preferred the 15V (though the RME did run hot).
The additional heat dissipated is most likely from the voltage regulators. You are possibly at the max voltage range of the regulators and maybe decreasing the life expectancy of the unit. I suggest use the supply that the unit was supplied with.

funkur

The additional heat dissipated is most likely from the voltage regulators. You are possibly at the max voltage range of the regulators and maybe decreasing the life expectancy of the unit. I suggest use the supply that the unit was supplied with.

I was concerned about that too, but I’m now using a better quality PS and the extra heat is gone.

Still preferring the 15v over the 12v, music just seems to flow better to me. My wife was kind enough to help me blind test to confirm. Again, I know this is ASR and I can’t back it up, but just wanted to put it out there that it’s worth trying if you own one.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes they sound amazing, weird thay you don’t read too much about them?

Because they're 15 years old

And this bad driver integration / crossover design at the top end.

"So how do these individual drive-unit outputs add up? The answer—not that well—is shown in fig.4. The ports and woofers sum to give a maximally flat response down to a musically useful 38Hz, –6dB—though, as RD found, this alignment is sensitive to room problems in the port output region. More important, the woofer and tweeter outputs effectively cancel in the region where they overlap, giving rise to an 18dB-deep notch at the crossover frequency of 2.8kHz"

MOZFIG04.jpg

Last edited:

sjeesjie

If they’re fifteen years old I’d expect even more info about them :D

Spaceframe

Yes, 15v does noticeably sound fuller , more dynamic and musical to my ear and I prefer it. Worth a try and decide.

Attachments

• BA236E34-B32F-4860-920E-3E13416817ED.jpeg
    BA236E34-B32F-4860-920E-3E13416817ED.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 223
Top Bottom