• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The amp I bought provides 1W @ 32 ohms, 250 mW at 300 ohms but has the been measured yet. It also only has 1/4” output. Still preproduction. Soooooo...

If I understood right, that’s is only a tiny bit more power than the ADI-2.
Don't know about the DAC.
The Pro is speced at (Max power @ 0.001% THD) 2.9 W per channel (in balanced mode)

Sedyn

Forum Donor
I use powered monitors (Dynaudio LYD), which is really the use case they're designed for.

Thank you. I have powered bookshelf speakers with their own sub out as a 2.1. It’s on a PC. Making sure I’m doing it right.

greyscale

Forum Donor
Dac is available on RME site for 1149.00 USD. The image shown is with the old remote??. Still, I placed my order.

chi2

Forum Donor
Does anybody know if the USB input section of the new v2 "FS" version of the ADI-2 DAC still supports content other than 44.1 kHz only by ASIO drivers like this was the case with the v1? Or has this been resolved before for v1 by means of a firmware upgrade? Thanks!

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company

chi2

Forum Donor
Thanks for this information. So since 06/18 no issue at all.
And the new remote control seems to solve the awkward navigation for input selection.
With the MSRP staying the same this makes it quite tempting.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
And the new remote control seems to solve the awkward navigation for input selection.

That was never the case. The new remote control has the same three input select buttons as the old one. Maybe it's time to study this product in detail, by reading the product's website page or the manual...

chi2

Forum Donor
I meant the less than ideal navigation with the buttons on the front of the dac which btw has been mentioned in several reviews. Didn't know that the first revision of the rc already allowed direct input selection.

Willem

Major Contributor
I too found the user interface difficult. However part of the reason is of course the great number of options not offered by other DACs.

greyscale

Forum Donor
Just delivered. Thawing, will setup Tuesday.
2086E9C2-6AD6-4167-9B83-CB18E4B39E77.jpeg

greyscale

Forum Donor
What is this thawing thing you speak of? Us Southern Californians don't grok this term.
The shipping carton was fairly old. So, had to allow it to get to room temp Before opening. And the dac works!!!

Bliman

Hi,
When I used my Grace Design m902 headphone amplifier as preamplifier alongside my power amplifier then I always had to put out the power amplifier first or I would get a loud pop through the speakers.
Now when I put out the RME DAC first I don't hear anything at all.
Now I listen to music at night when I am in bed.
Is it safe to put out the RME DAC but keep the power amplifier on? Because the RME has a remote control but my power amplifier hasn't.
Also to make clear in my statements before.
I never had such a great system as now. The EQ and microphone were essential and the DAC is great too. So I can see why the RME DAC is so popular. I couldn't live without it anymore. Unless I would buy room correction and DAC separately.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I was trying to understand how come RME ADI-2 has the best SNR @50mV and I see in the pics from this thread that ADI-2 is using a dedicated headamp for IEMs done around one single dual chip: OPA1622. I find this very clever, although the paralleled 3xOPA1688 from the 6.3mm jack output per channel is low-noise anyway.

This is the best of both worlds in the same unit, to actually have two distinct headamp for two types of headphones: regulars and sensitive one. i do love the idea for sure!

Last edited:

Oukkidoukki

Mc rme........ideas to next adi..........put subwoofer out also into it......and mic input........so we can make room calibration with mic and digital crossover for sub......(btw, I am thinking here active monitors and active sub)...that would be perfect.........room calibration is mess right now, boxes, cables, sofware...not good.....need to be easy..........if we go to sub from adis xlr out and then to speakers we have to go thru subs analog path and it will eat the beaty of soundstage.

Music1969

Major Contributor
+1 for digital room EQ also @MC_RME

Even if it’s another product and more expensive.

Would be popular in Pro Audio field too as I see Dirac and Sonarworks and Trinnov are used in Pro Audio . Multiple boxes.

Would love a 1-box RME solution for connecting to powered speakers and powered subs.

Top Bottom