• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schitt Kara, RME ADI-2 DAC and volume level

mindcruncher

Not sure where to put this question so I try in the section :)

I got my Schiit Kara yesterday and connected my RME ADI-2 DAC to it (Which I had as both Preamp and DAC before).

In the ADI-2 I changed Ref Level to 7dBu and volume to 0 dB.

On the Kara I had to set the gain to High and crank up the volume to 12 O'clock to be able to hear anything.

It sounds great but it kind of worries me that I need to crank up volume so much. Should I worry?

staticV3

Master Contributor
You can use a basic multimeter to make sure that your audio devices have as much output voltage and gain as stated by the manufacturer.

All that you need is a 0dBFS 60Hz test tone and some cables with which you can probe the outputs.

You can use REW to generate the test tone, the cables you should already have, and a multimeter is like $15 nowadays.

OP
M

mindcruncher

You can use a basic multimeter to make sure that your audio devices have as much output voltage and gain as stated by the manufacturer.

All that you need is a 0dBFS 60Hz test tone and some cables with which you can probe the outputs.

You can use REW to generate the test tone, the cables you should already have, and a multimeter is like $15 nowadays.
I have a multimeter but not correct cables i think. And it seems to be a bigger project than I thought from beginning.

Thanks for input!

staticV3

Master Contributor
I have a multimeter but not correct cables i think. And it seems to be a bigger project than I thought from beginning.

Thanks for input!
No special cables are required. Just the RCA or XLR cables that you're already using.

If you want to probe the headphone outputs, then you can get DIY headphone plugs of the right size from eBay etc.
71ddI6ers2L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg 51dlNYPt3lL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure where to put this question so I try in the section :)

I got my Schiit Kara yesterday and connected my RME ADI-2 DAC to it (Which I had as both Preamp and DAC before).

In the ADI-2 I changed Ref Level to 7dBu and volume to 0 dB.

On the Kara I had to set the gain to High and crank up the volume to 12 O'clock to be able to hear anything.

It sounds great but it kind of worries me that I need to crank up volume so much. Should I worry?
Out of interest: What does the Kara do/ what do you need it for?

formdissolve

Forum Donor
12 o'clock isn't that high. The Kara uses resistor ladder network for volume, so it doesn't matter anyways in the end. Regardless, you should read the RME manual to set your fixed volume to as close to 4v as possible. For example on my ADI-2 Pro, that would be Ref level +19dBu with volume at -4.5dB (no EQ or anything else active).

Or just manually turn the volume up on the RME with auto-reference level on OR off and go from there.

OP
M

mindcruncher

12 o'clock isn't that high. The Kara uses resistor ladder network for volume, so it doesn't matter anyways in the end. Regardless, you should read the RME manual to set your fixed volume to as close to 4v as possible. For example on my ADI-2 Pro, that would be Ref level +19dBu with volume at -4.5dB (no EQ or anything else active).

Or just manually turn the volume up on the RME with auto-reference level on OR off and go from there.
4V? Thought 2V where max. I will look at this weekend probably. A little to tired this week too start new projects but i'm happy that you taking your time to answer :)

formdissolve

Forum Donor
4V? Thought 2V where max. I will look at this weekend probably. A little to tired this week too start new projects but i'm happy that you taking your time to answer :)
ADI is a balanced DAC, so 4V would be normal. The Kara is also balanced so it will easily accept 4V.

OP
M

mindcruncher

ADI is a balanced DAC, so 4V would be normal. The Kara is also balanced so it will easily accept 4V.
I'm doing RCA out on the ADI since i didn't have another pair of XLR-cables at home. Is it worth trying to go with XLR?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're running XLR (which you should), the Kara will be perfectly fine handling 4Vmrs.
For example on my ADI-2 Pro, that would be Ref level +19dBu with volume at -4.5dB (no EQ or anything else active).
The ADI-2 DAC displays 6dB lower output level to adjust on RCA SE.

4Vrms XLR / 2Vrms RCA for ADI-2 DAC FS is done at +13dBu Ref Level, -4.5dB Volume. Which equals 8.5dBu through RCA and 14.5dBu through XLR outputs.

Is it worth trying to go with XLR?
I guess so. You will have twice as much voltage. It is aslo safer for ground loops and noise rejection, just for peace of mind.

OP
M

mindcruncher

If you're running XLR (which you should), the Kara will be perfectly fine handling 4Vmrs.

4Vrms XLR / 2Vrms RCA for ADI-2 DAC FS is done at +13dBu Ref Level, -4.5dB Volume. Which equals 8.5dBu through RCA and 14.5dBu through XLR outputs.

I guess so. You will have twice as much voltage. It is aslo safer for ground loops and noise rejection, just for peace of mind.
I read that in the manual but didn't think it would have that big impact. I have to order a set of new cables then :)

Thanks!

OP
M

mindcruncher

I decided too build a set of cables (done it once before for my power amp) and the connectors showed up today. Im not good at this but its really fun :)

IMG_1421.jpeg

The volume is higher but i need to adjust some more i think. :)

Chazz6

You have three controls for gain/volume: the Schiit volume knob, the RME volume knob, and the RME reference level setting. The last one can be set manually to one of several levels or you can put it on Auto Reference level (read the manual).

From the RME manual, technical specs: The XLR output level choices are +19, +13, +7, and +1 dBu.

One possible procedure:
1. Choose an XLR output level. You might start with a middle value, +7.
2. Turn the RME volume as low as it will go and the Schiit volume as high as the knob goes.
3. Play something and turn the RME volume up.
If you get to a satisfactory volume, stop.
If not, boost the XLR output level to the next step and repeat.

This procedure favors letting the Schiit do as much as it can to the sound.
If you want to let the RME do as much as it can, reverse step 2. in the procedure.

OP
M

mindcruncher

You have three controls for gain/volume: the Schiit volume knob, the RME volume knob, and the RME reference level setting. The last one can be set manually to one of several levels or you can put it on Auto Reference level (read the manual).

From the RME manual, technical specs: The XLR output level choices are +19, +13, +7, and +1 dBu.

One possible procedure:
1. Choose an XLR output level. You might start with a middle value, +7.
2. Turn the RME volume as low as it will go and the Schiit volume as high as the knob goes.
3. Play something and turn the RME volume up.
If you get to a satisfactory volume, stop.
If not, boost the XLR output level to the next step and repeat.

This procedure favors letting the Schiit do as much as it can to the sound.
If you want to let the RME do as much as it can, reverse step 2. in the procedure.
Thanks for info. I had time tonight too try some other settings. But I only have +13 on my. Maybe it's a limit on DAC FS?

Top Bottom