• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of PS Audio PerfectWave DirectStream DAC

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Currently, I have a NAD M12 pre/DAC, a Mytek Liberty DAC, and an Audio Mirror Tubadour III DAC. Of the three, the Tubadour III sounds the best in my system. I'm expecting the DirectStream to sound better, if not, I'll send it back. If it does, I plan to sell the NAD and Audio Mirror pieces and keep the Mytek as my backup/headphone amp.

Over the last year I've upgraded major pieces of my system by auditioning them. Price is always a factor, but not the only and sometimes major factor. I don't making buying choices based on measurements. I read the specs; I read reviews from a number of sources; I try to audition a piece of equipment in my system; and go from there. Works for me.

By "auditioning," you mean "peeking." So really, you're playing make-believe. Perhaps a science forum is not the right venue for you?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I read the specs; I read reviews from a number of sources; I try to audition a piece of equipment in my system; and go from there. Works for me.

As a sincere comment, as I know it may be hard to tell around here at times, I always auditioned the same way, and heard the same things....most here have.

Rather than get into all the reasons why our brains don't hear the way we all read about in the audio press, I would simply challenge you to do whatever comparisons you do in a way that will help you know what you are just hearing, and not seeing/wanting/expecting to hear. It's a hassle to do properly, but spending 5 figures on a DAC is something I'm sure you'd want to really fully evaluate.
If the answer is 'I don't need to, because I'm (fill in the blank as to why you're more special than the rest of humanity), then I'd give the simple answer that decades of real science disagrees. There is a mountain of (actual scientific) research on the site getting into psychoacoustics, sampling theory, and most everything else that might help if you are skeptical...as of course I was.

It's Double blind, level matched by volt meter. If not, you're actively kidding yourself.

The few hours I spent doing that has saved me enough for a nice CRUISE!! Oh...wait...

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Currently, I have a NAD M12 pre/DAC, a Mytek Liberty DAC, and an Audio Mirror Tubadour III DAC.

Over the last year I've upgraded major pieces of my system by auditioning them. Price is always a factor, but not the only and sometimes major factor. I don't making buying choices based on measurements. I read the specs; I read reviews from a number of sources; I try to audition a piece of equipment in my system; and go from there. Works for me.

I had this dac too. I borrowed it from someone, but when he got it, it arrived defective. He had to reinstall the tubes and repair a broken cap, but after that it worked fine. I do not remember if it was an issue from shipping, but it seems unlikely. I think Audio Mirror does not have the best QC, the internals for the Tubadour could certainly be designed more competently. I don't really get the point of having these tiny, tiny tubes in the circuit path at all.

A6AR9iK.jpg

I think the problem most of us have with PS Audio is the bullshit narratives and audio myths perpetuated by Paul Mcgowan. Also for $6000, for just a DAC, you really want at least a little bit better performance. At this price point, you also want a pretty, flawless, beautiful looking metal chassis, that exudes high end. It is of my opinion that stuff like DACS, and even preamps, amps, are pretty much solved design wise, and if partnered correctly (amp is more important for matching) you can get the same performance with something vintage and costing $100 from craigslist. The PS Audio does not seem like a luxury product, the matte finish of it makes it look like a hunk of plastic in natural light. The front display is very tacky and cheap looking too. Just my opinions of course. I'm sure it looks beautiful to many owners.

As I said, you should get the Matrix Audio dac that amir took a look at. I don't think it looks cheap at all, it is definitely a bit of kit that you can feel proud to own. Certainly helps that it's the second best measuring dac he's ever tested, and costs less than the PS Audio.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Also for $6000, for just a DAC, you really want at least a little bit better performance. At this price point, you also want...

...to be orally serviced by the designer's daughter while listening to it.

I'm thinking that I could buy an RME and five top grade house concerts for that figure.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Certainly helps that it's the second best measuring dac he's ever tested, and costs less than the PS Audio.

When dealing with an ASR newbie from the world of audiophile subjectivism who are not literate with respect to audio science, engineering, and psychoacoustics, things can get awkward. And when they seem oblivious to science-based replies and comments about audio and audibility. They often do not seem to be willing to learn - or even interested in learning - about such things.

Some will not accept the reality that any properly designed/engineered DAC is totally transparent and without an audible sonic signature. Such DACs have very low noise and distortion that is well below audibility. With such DACs, difference cannot be heard in double-blind listening sessions. Those same people seem totally unaware of the concepts of scientifically proven sighted and/or perception bias - and appear to not even see and acknowledge those topics in the responses to their posts, which are usually filled with patently obvious - and erroneous - subjectivist audibility claims.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
As a sincere comment, as I know it may be hard to tell around here at times, I always auditioned the same way, and heard the same things....most here have.

Rather than get into all the reasons why our brains don't hear the way we all read about in the audio press, I would simply challenge you to do whatever comparisons you do in a way that will help you know what you are just hearing, and not seeing/wanting/expecting to hear. It's a hassle to do properly, but spending 5 figures on a DAC is something I'm sure you'd want to really fully evaluate.
If the answer is 'I don't need to, because I'm (fill in the blank as to why you're more special than the rest of humanity), then I'd give the simple answer that decades of real science disagrees. There is a mountain of (actual scientific) research on the site getting into psychoacoustics, sampling theory, and most everything else that might help if you are skeptical...as of course I was.

It's Double blind, level matched by volt meter. If not, you're actively kidding yourself.

The few hours I spent doing that has saved me enough for a nice CRUISE!! Oh...wait...
Remember when Bob Carver simulated 2 different expensive amps using modded versions of his own reasonably priced products? I'd really like to see someone do the equivalent now with DACs: how much would take to simulate a PS Audio or a Total DAC?

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
Remember when Bob Carver simulated 2 different expensive amps using modded versions of his own reasonably priced products? I'd really like to see someone do the equivalent now with DACs: how much would take to simulate a PS Audio or a Total DAC?
With amps thats different.. I am pretty sure Bob Carver had switches to change the amount of negative feedback and damping factor and that's how he was able to 'voice' another amp to sound the same as another.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
With amps thats different.. I am pretty sure Bob Carver had switches to change the amount of negative feedback and damping factor and that's how he was able to 'voice' another amp to sound the same as another.

Could be. Or he just added a small resistor to the output (cheaper and easier).

Or it could be that the amps didn't sound any different to begin with; the chimps running that test didn't bother to check that before starting.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Is it that different? DACs like the PS Audio have obvious measurable faults. Can't those faults be added to a "transparent" DAC with a few cheap components or tweaks?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Is it that different? DACs like the PS Audio have obvious measurable faults. Can't those faults be added to a "transparent" DAC with a few cheap components or tweaks?

It's not clear, even with the high distortion, that the PS can be distinguished by ear from a well-designed DAC by this prospective purchaser.

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
I'm doubtful any of these worse measuring dacs like ps audio will actually have audible faults when music is playing. People don't play 2khz test tones when using their dacs usually. But an amp using more NFB in the design or having a lower or higher DF can absolutely change the systems sound.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Closest I've seen talked about is here:

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...f-e1da-9038s-bal-portable-dac-amp.8424/page-4

Sounded like a pretty cool idea...basically, play something from DAC with distortion of choice, and you get it to play that distortion profile. Change it with the weather.

OldSchool1948

xulonn, you keep trying to drive home points, I guess to me, that I could less about, "audio science, engineering, and psychoacoustics." Engineering, I am well versed in when it comes to computer hardware, software, programming, and networks; and, as an independent consultant, have made a very good living at it for the last 30 years. Nor do I care about your high and mighty BS about how I should perceive a DAC's quality just because I don't place my selection criteria where you place yours. Get a life.

direstraitsfan98, I agree with you 100% on Audio Mirror's questionable QA/QC practices and the internals. I've had that DAC for less than three months and have had problems. Vlad, just sent me tube replacements. I really like it's SQ - reliability, not so much. Thanks for the Matrix Audio DAC recommendation. I'll will look into it.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If you don’t care about audio science, engineering, and psychoacoustics, then why in the world are you posting in an audio science forum? There’s lots of places where make-believe is good enough, and you won’t have your incorrect beliefs challenged.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don’t care about audio science, engineering, and psychoacoustics, then why in the world are you posting in an audio science forum? There’s lots of places where make-believe is good enough, and you won’t have your incorrect beliefs challenged.

Couldn't have said it better myself - thanks @SIY . I often wonder why otherwise seemingly intelligent people come here and blather on about audiophiliac subjectivist topics while appearing to be oblivious to the fact that this is an audio science website.

More reinforcement for my choice of avatar.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Engineering, I am well versed in when it comes to computer hardware, software, programming, and networks; and, as an independent consultant, have made a very good living at it for the last 30 years.

Hey...that's great...
It's also pretty much completely irrelevant to anything under discussion.

We are here to talk about the science of audio reproduction, engineering, and psychoacoustics, not whether we got chills in our loins from one DAC vs another. If one sounds different it's likely either broken or you are peeking.

@Xulonn isn't being high and mighty any more than your teacher telling you that 2+2=5 is wrong is. If you want to review your stochastic calculus and show how Shannon and Nyquist got it wrong, or how you've got proof of that eternally elusive magical audio woo (finally) and how we can measure it, give it your best shot. Otherwise share your chills with people who are similarly inclined.

Have a nice day.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
xulonn, you keep trying to drive home points, I guess to me, that I could less about, "audio science, engineering, and psychoacoustics." Engineering, I am well versed in when it comes to computer hardware, software, programming, and networks; and, as an independent consultant, have made a very good living at it for the last 30 years. Nor do I care about your high and mighty BS about how I should perceive a DAC's quality just because I don't place my selection criteria where you place yours. Get a life.
Please be polite. You are new to this forum so I suggest sitting back and learning a bit about who we are and what we do here.

As to your trial, if you don't hear the distortions I heard with this DAC, I suggest learning to compare gear better as your ears are not working for you. Remember, they admitted that they used cheaper transformers to save money and those parts, definitely produce distortion. And not good ones either.

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
Has PS Audio always put out poor value('bad') products, or did they go downhill at some point. I happen to own some PS Audio monoblocks from the 90's that I quit like. They certainly aren't flawless, but I assumed that was a consequence of age, not engineering. They were basically free though, so I can't complain either way.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently, I have a NAD M12 pre/DAC, a Mytek Liberty DAC, and an Audio Mirror Tubadour III DAC. Of the three, the Tubadour III sounds the best in my system. I'm expecting the DirectStream to sound better, if not, I'll send it back. If it does, I plan to sell the NAD and Audio Mirror pieces and keep the Mytek as my backup/headphone amp.
The only DAC which is worth paying more than 500 US$ is the RME ADI-2 DAC, because of its features. You could use its EQ to do room EQ for speakers or EQ for headphones which will bring much more sound quality than anything else.
I like to disagree. If it really works for you why are you still searching for something better? What's the average use time of your equipment? There are quite a few members here who use the same equipment for 10, 15, 20 years or even longer, and buy only new if something is broken beyond repair.

OldSchool1948

amirm, I've tried to be polite. I find some comments including yours, "your ears are not working for you" to be condescending. I thought this might be a good objective information resource. Guess I was wrong. I haven't disputed one thing that anyone had said in response to my post, and I haven't attacked anyone for their opinions, experiences, "facts", or beliefs. As an adult, I expect to receive that same level of respect.

Top Bottom