• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of PS Audio PerfectWave DirectStream DAC

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
My system sounds better after I eat Thai food

Peanuts reduce quantum resonance, and coconut milk adds bass extension.

And I thought it was just me! Wow...obviously there is something to it.

Someone married needs to have their wife eat Thai food in the kitchen, and see how much better things sound. That's the only way to really know...but clearly this needs exploring.

carlosmante

The guy has a nice system and setup and I'm sure he enjoys listening to it, but when he talks about those Stillpoint things and says he can tune the sound by moving them around under the amps and players, then we've gone to a whole different plane of madness.
If you know that tune means " a pleasing succession of musical tones" then he is NOT lying. ha ha ha. Yes he is " tuning" to his pleasure and enjoying it, then why you care?

mcdonalk

Your system just might indeed sound better after Thai food. Congestion in the Eustachian tubes can indeed affect hearing, and spicy food may just help them clear just enough.

AudioTodd

I prefer blind testing where possible. I especially like to use Blind Drunk Testing. Rumor has it others here and on other forums do as well. My contemporaneous notes indicate I find very large and significant differences while engaged in this protocol, but I rarely remember what they were or which device I preferred. Furthermore, my typical notes become illegible well before the conclusions are memorialized. I think the answer is to conduct more trials.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
If you know that tune means " a pleasing succession of musical tones" then he is NOT lying. ha ha ha. Yes he is " tuning" to his pleasure and enjoying it, then why you care?
I'm not interested in bullshit and hocus pocus :D

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor

mil

I am currently on page 23 of this thread, still long way to go, but I would like to add a comment at this stage:

We should all be thanking the Internet Gods for allowing the wisdom of people like amirm to reach us all.

From a consumer's point of view, I see that the audiophile world is full of contradiction and subjectivity. So we do need to start with some tangible/measurable fundamentals, that represent the original goal of HiFi before we proceed with customization/colorization based on personal preferences and opinions.

In the specific subject of the original post, my simplistic opinion is that a DAC should be doing its job as best as it can, i.e. Digital to Analog conversation and let the colorization steps to be added by the user at later stages in the separates chain, if wished. Starting with a distorted (sorry, musical) sound from the source, is a mistake and in this specific case a very expensive one I may say.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am currently on page 23 of this thread, still long way to go, but I would like to add a comment at this stage:

We should all be thanking the Internet Gods for allowing the wisdom of people like amirm to reach us all.

From a consumer's point of view, I see that the audiophile world is full of contradiction and subjectivity. So we do need to start with some tangible/measurable fundamentals, that represent the original goal of HiFi before we proceed with customization/colorization based on personal preferences and opinions.

In the specific subject of the original post, my simplistic opinion is that a DAC should be doing its job as best as it can, i.e. Digital to Analog conversation and let the colorization steps to be added by the user at later stages in the separates chain, if wished. Starting with a distorted (sorry, musical) sound from the source, is a mistake and in this specific case a very expensive one I may say.

@mil, Amirm is the internet god.

Reactions: mil

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Really? Personal abuse of a designer is accepted on this site??
Well, the designer’s abuse of his customers seems acceptable at many other sites, and to me is a far more serious issue.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Really? Personal abuse of a designer is accepted on this site??
Rib tickling, kinda impersonal if anything and yes it's perfectly acceptable in the context it was given .

Poor @amirm comes in for far worse and from his own side no less!

Listen first

Rib tickling, kinda impersonal if anything and yes it's perfectly acceptable in the context it was given .

Poor @amirm comes in for far worse and from his own side no less!
Critique of a design/product is acceptable and may even move the industry forward. As long as it’s done in the right manner. Personal attacks on someone’s attire and looks, which is what we see here, is beyond justification. It’s a direct comment on the pic on an earlier post. How is that impersonal??
It’s not about “taking sides” if Amir received the same abuse I would call that out too.
It’s not acceptable by any measure.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Critique of a design/product is acceptable and may even move the industry forward. As long as it’s done in the right manner. Personal attacks on someone’s attire and looks, which is what we see here, is beyond justification. It’s a direct comment on the pic on an earlier post. How is that impersonal??
It’s not about “taking sides” if Amir received the same abuse I would call that out too.
If it makes you feel better, Amir’s mother dresses him funny, and Thomas has questionable hygiene.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

I think you need a dose of Ronnie Johns playing Chopper:

Last edited:
Top Bottom