• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio DirectStream DAC Mk.2 measurements

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
-80 dB ultrasonic noise floor, amazing... For 8 k usd.

623-PSDS2fig05-600.jpg

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I saw some narcissistic audiophools sitting around a table on some youtube channel talking about how this latest DAC from PS Audio BLOWS THE OLD ONE OUT OF THE WATER, and how when you hear the sound, the soundscape is so real "you can walk through it."

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
This is supposed to look like a sine wave:

Actually not. That plot is undithered 16 bit data and it should show three distinct levels like hundreds of players and DACs JA has previously reviewed. But yeah, I've never seen a Stereophile plot with that much noise.

1685755689628.png

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually not. That plot is undithered 16 bit data and it should show three distinct levels like hundreds of players and DACs JA has previously reviewed. But yeah, I've never seen a Stereophile plot with that much noise.

View attachment 289863
Yes, this is how it should be below, from Mola Mola. After all these years one would assume the competition would catch up, not distance themselves even further...

Screenshot_2023-06-03-06-31-18-908_com.android.chrome.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yes, this is how it should be below, from Mola Mola. After all these years one would assume the competition would catch up, not distance themselves even further...

View attachment 289918

Notice also the levels, at 250-300uV vs the autoscaling on the AP to 12-25mV to account for the broadband noise on the PS unit. There also appears to be an asymmetric offset. Perhaps there's an issue with the tested unit?

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 289863
Ha! It is supposed to look like a band-limited square wave but there is so much noise it looks like it is supposed to look like a sine wave.

Last edited:

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning

charleski

Major Contributor
Obviously the DirectWave has an issue with far-ultrasonic noise as a result of the design resampling everything to DSD (JA measured 210mV of noise at 380kHz). But what I thought was interesting was how this managed to mess up the AP's linearity measurements. Fig 6 shows a small deviation from linear at -90dBFS, but this is far smaller than the ~+9dB indicated by the graph. I wonder if this explains why other DACs with badly-controlled ultrasonic output also produce wildly poor linearity graphs, because he found similarly ghastly behaviour with the Mojo Mystique.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was quite surprised to see this from John Atkinson in the subjective review:

''I burned in the cables with a CD on repeat overnight before continuing my critical auditioning''

I appreciate that there's a line to be trodden with subjective reviewing (some playing to the gallery is mandatory) but surely he does not believe in cable burn in?

Eight thousand dollars!

kevin1969

Obviously the DirectWave has an issue with far-ultrasonic noise as a result of the design resampling everything to DSD (JA measured 210mV of noise at 380kHz). But what I thought was interesting was how this managed to mess up the AP's linearity measurements. Fig 6 shows a small deviation from linear at -90dBFS, but this is far smaller than the ~+9dB indicated by the graph. I wonder if this explains why other DACs with badly-controlled ultrasonic output also produce wildly poor linearity graphs, because he found similarly ghastly behaviour with the Mojo Mystique.
I'm not an audio engineer but one of the fascinating things I saw in that review was the mention about ultrasonic noise affecting amplifiers that don't compensate for it

Could you explain what that means? It sounds pretty significant.

egellings

Major Contributor
I saw some narcissistic audiophools sitting around a table on some youtube channel talking about how this latest DAC from PS Audio BLOWS THE OLD ONE OUT OF THE WATER, and how when you hear the sound, the soundscape is so real "you can walk through it."
Just watch out for all the punji stakes, though.

VQR

I was quite surprised to see this from John Atkinson in the subjective review:

''I burned in the cables with a CD on repeat overnight before continuing my critical auditioning''

I appreciate that there's a line to be trodden with subjective reviewing (some playing to the gallery is mandatory) but surely he does not believe in cable burn in?

Eight thousand dollars!
Eh, some people if paid enough will write whatever nonsense you want. I wouldn't be surprised if he genuinely didn't believe in cable burn-in but wrote that to please the editor and readership.

charleski

Major Contributor
I'm not an audio engineer but one of the fascinating things I saw in that review was the mention about ultrasonic noise affecting amplifiers that don't compensate for it

Could you explain what that means? It sounds pretty significant.
A properly designed audio amp will handle ultrasonic noise without any problem. But over in hifi-land it's not uncommon to find designers who will casually discard basic design principles because they think their amp 'sounds better' without them. Virtually all amps have some form of feedback (the designs boasting 'No NFB' usually still have some local feedback around the individual stages), and almost all speakers feature some element of capacitative load, so they can be driven into ultrasonic instability if not properly compensated. There's a discussion here of how a common chip amp can become unstable and fry your tweeters if the circuit isn't properly designed.

Top Bottom