• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Paradigm PW-Link Streamer/DAC

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks, 3 question:

1) If I'm using Spotify Connect exclusively for my streaming, do I need to mess with Play Fi at all if I take the raspberry pi out of the loop? That is can I just go from Spotify on my phone and choose PlayFi running Spotify Connect as the output and stay in the Spotify app?

2) How do you switch to the analog turntable input? Is this using the Play Fi app?

3) What happens to music that was hanging off the Raspberry Pi on a usb connected drive I was accessing through Volumio if I take Raspberry Pi out of the loop?

Seems like the suggestion to get one and play with the various scenarios is a good one, given the flexibility of analog and digital inputs.

I have a similar setup and only use Play-Fi to switch input between analog (phono preamp) and optical (WiiM streamer) inputs

nathan

The lack of a remote control (other than the wonky PlayFi app) for switching inputs, changing volume, etc, is the main detractor*, imo, and might dictate what you choose to configure and how.

(*That, and how few streaming services are supported, ie, no Apple, no Google, and none of the classical services like Idago and Primephonic.)

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
The lack of a remote control (other than the wonky PlayFi app) for switching inputs, changing volume, etc, is the main detractor*, imo, and might dictate what you choose to configure and how.

(*That, and how few streaming services are supported, ie, no Apple, no Google, and none of the classical services like Idago and Primephonic.)
Concur, I wouldn't use the PW-Link without WiiM, Chromecast, or Audirvana input but those are not particularly expensive add-ons.

nathan

Concur, I wouldn't use the PW-Link without WiiM, Chromecast, or Audirvana input but those are not particularly expensive add-ons.
Yeah, I could see where WiiM could get around some of the funkiness of ht ePWLINK as a streamer. I'm less clear about how Audirvana helps on it's own, but I haven't used that app on my computer.

Chromecast with Toslink or even analog output seems like the best approach, but is sadly discontinued.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Yeah, I could see where WiiM could get around some of the funkiness of ht ePWLINK as a streamer. I'm less clear about how Audirvana helps on it's own, but I haven't used that app on my computer.

Chromecast with Toslink or even analog output seems like the best approach, but is sadly discontinued.

I use the Topping D10 as a USB bridge to send Audirvana output to the PW-Link. The Audirvana Remote app substitutes for Play-Fi. This has the advantage of gapless playback from local files and services but it's not reliable with a DLNA file playback.

Chromecast allows use of other apps but fails in gapless playback. WiiM ,properly employed solves alll of the Play-Fi issues and yields gapless playback, and although I employ an optical switcher to be able to change between Audirvana, Chromecast, and WiiM, I'm finding no reason to use anything but the WiiM at this juncture (with Tidal mostly).

rgruber

If you use the analog in for a turntable preamp and a digital out to a DAC into a power amp. Where wound you control the volume? In play fi or wound you want to lock that and use a DAC with volume control? I guess one of the topping or smsl options.

nathan

If you use the analog in for a turntable preamp and a digital out to a DAC into a power amp. Where wound you control the volume? In play fi or wound you want to lock that and use a DAC with volume control? I guess one of the topping or smsl options.
That's a judgment call. If you don't mind using your phone and the playFi app as the remote control for volume, you can do that.

I found that to be cumbersome. App loses connection a lot, etc. And if there are other people wanting to control the volume, they have to fire up an app to do that. Changing inputs is a hassle, etc.

There are buttons on the device of course, but you are asking about remote controls, so I assume walking over to the device is not convenient. (I know, in my room, it is not convenient.)

So I went the route of an external DAC with a remote control. This was I can use it like a regular stereo, leave the playFI unit at unity gain, and on a single input.

Of course, that whole single input thing becomes more complicated if you have multiple sources. Again, you have to walk over and manually switch inputs to be most reliable.

(Ironic that this amazing little device is missing those two key features: Remote control for volume and source selection. If it had those, it might have actually been a hit and would still be in production instead of these companies selling off the gear at 50% of MSRP to deplete their inventory.)

rgruber

Thanks.

What are the current favorites on DACs with remote volume for use with the PW link? The consensus choice used to be the topping E30. Any newer/better models out? Something like the SMSL su-9-n overkill here? Guessing since there’s an upper limit on the bit rate there’s a point of diminishing returns.

nathan

I'm the wrong guy to ask. You can look at the reviews here and see what measures neutral.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
That's a judgment call. If you don't mind using your phone and the playFi app as the remote control for volume, you can do that.

I found that to be cumbersome. App loses connection a lot, etc. And if there are other people wanting to control the volume, they have to fire up an app to do that. Changing inputs is a hassle, etc.

There are buttons on the device of course, but you are asking about remote controls, so I assume walking over to the device is not convenient. (I know, in my room, it is not convenient.)

So I went the route of an external DAC with a remote control. This was I can use it like a regular stereo, leave the playFI unit at unity gain, and on a single input.

Of course, that whole single input thing becomes more complicated if you have multiple sources. Again, you have to walk over and manually switch inputs to be most reliable.

(Ironic that this amazing little device is missing those two key features: Remote control for volume and source selection. If it had those, it might have actually been a hit and would still be in production instead of these companies selling off the gear at 50% of MSRP to deplete their inventory.)

I would want an external DAC anyway. I use the remote for my RME DAC for volume control.

nathan

I would love to NOT need an external DAC. It annoys me to have to do additional DAC conversions. But it is what it is.

batfunk

Thanks, 3 question:

1) If I'm using Spotify Connect exclusively for my streaming, do I need to mess with Play Fi at all if I take the raspberry pi out of the loop? That is can I just go from Spotify on my phone and choose PlayFi running Spotify Connect as the output and stay in the Spotify app?

2) How do you switch to the analog turntable input? Is this using the Play Fi app?

3) What happens to music that was hanging off the Raspberry Pi on a usb connected drive I was accessing through Volumio if I take Raspberry Pi out of the loop?

Seems like the suggestion to get one and play with the various scenarios is a good one, given the flexibility of analog and digital inputs.
1)you Just need Spotify app on your
phone to use Spotify connect with Pw Link. No play-fi needed.
2)push left button on you pw link(blue light :analog, White light digital)
3)don't know.

I got huge noise problems when using phono with pw link and dac behind(SMSL m200) (analog->digital conversion) , none with Pw link as dac.(analog->analog)
So i connected my turntable to denon avr(analog-> analog) works perfectly, with room correction too(Audissey).
Turntable->pw link rca inputs->pw link rca outputs->better dac analog inputs is the best way.... For turntables

Last edited:

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
1)you Just need Spotify app on your
phone to use Spotify connect with Pw Link. No play-fi needed.
2)push left button on you pw link(blue light :analog, White light digital)
3)don't know.

I got huge noise problems when using phono with pw link and dac behind(SMSL m200) (analog->digital conversion) , none with Pw link as dac.(analog->analog)
So i connected my turntable to denon avr(analog-> analog) works perfectly, with room correction too(Audissey).
Turntable->pw link rca inputs->pw link rca outputs->better dac analog inputs is the best way.... For turntables
I connect my Technics-- Pluto to the PW, no noise issues.

STMESS

Like some others the Link or Forte interests me for ARC Genesis only.
If I connect via optical in from my disc player, then optical out to my NAD D3202 Mk 2, will ARC correct the stand mount speakers and sub connected to my D3020 MK2?
Thanks for your help.
Steve

batfunk

If I connect via optical in from my disc player, then optical out to my NAD D3202 Mk 2, will ARC correct the stand mount speakers and sub connected to my D3020 MK2?
Thanks for your help.
Steve
No.the only way is to connect your sub to room correction device: Pw link and Forte have no sub output but Pw amp has. one

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
No.the only way is to connect your sub to room correction device: Pw link and Forte have no sub output but Pw amp has. one
Of course it can work. PW Link doesn't know how many speakers are in play, it simply measures FR and adjusts digits accordingly. I just adjusted the subs in my TV system exactly as our friend described , PW output to Schitt DAC to Crown amp/crossover. Neither sub is connected directly to the PW-Link.

batfunk

Of course it can work. PW Link doesn't know how many speakers are in play, it simply measures FR and adjusts digits accordingly. I just adjusted the subs in my TV system exactly as our friend described , PW output to Schitt DAC to Crown amp/crossover. Neither sub is connected directly to the PW-Link.
Wrong.If you're right, show me your Sub curve corrected by Arc. PW LINK Arc Room Correction is only designed on for 2.0 systems. Just read Pw link specifications or first pages of this thread.
Only ARC on more expansive Anthem amps or preamps are designed for one or two subs.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Wrong.If you're right, show me your Sub curve corrected by Arc. PW LINK Arc Room Correction is only designed on for 2.0 systems. Just read Pw link specifications or first pages of this thread.
Only ARC on more expansive Anthem amps or preamps are designed for one or two subs.

There is no separate sub adjustment but that's not required to apply an adjustment to the frequencies the subs handle. Again, ARC is measuring whatever the mic picks up at the listening position, whether that is from a 2.0, 2.1 , or 2.2 system. It's clueless as to whether a 35hz tone is coming from a monitor or from a sub sitting next to it The full range adjustment is sent digitally to a DAC then to an amp/crossover which allocates the PW adjusted response between satellite and subs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220413-183232.png
    Screenshot_20220413-183232.png
    233.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

STMESS

There is no separate sub adjustment but that's not required to apply an adjustment to the frequencies the subs handle. Again, ARC is measuring whatever the mic picks up at the listening position, whether that is from a 2.0, 2.1 , or 2.2 system. It's clueless as to whether a 35hz tone is coming from a monitor or from a sub sitting next to it The full range adjustment is sent digitally to a DAC then to an amp/crossover which allocates the PW adjusted response between satellite and subs.
I appreciate the feedback. Since I only want full frequency EQ, don"t need bass management, will only use the ARC, with optical in and out, I think this works for me.

Zdepp

Thanks for your help.
Steve
Hi, I have a Forte amp. It only has a sub out (and ARC for 2.1 system). I guess you didnt mean to write Forte but just to clarify, the ML version of Link is Unison. And I agree with what Jmudrick wrote about ARC in this case.
Also, If i am not mistaken, digital and analog out on Unison should both work at the same time. So you could also try connecting your sub to analog out of Link/Unison to see if you like it better. The manual has these instructions.

Top Bottom