• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Oppo UDP-205 UHD Player

Wombat

Major Contributor
I replied to Oppo's email asking if I would verify my email address, thus establishing continuing interest in the UDP-205...this occurred in May.
Well, evidently, no $1299 Oppo for me. :(
I have little interest in the current exuberant prices and will exercise patience. My understanding is the UDP-205 is not especially --

wait for it -- rare. :cool:
Just as the sun rises each morning, the Oppo players will be rolled over to Ebay as they are replaced by a new highly desirable toy.

I use my old PAL/NTSC OPPO DV-980H recorder/player for my small number of SACDs. It also does CD, DVD Audio/Video, HDCD, X-vid, Div X, Kodak Picture, DSD, DTS, Dolby Surround EX, 7.1 surround or other if needed.. Lots of inputs and outputs .

A Panasonic PAL/NTSC DMR-BWT760 4K Blue-ray recorder/player for USB, DVD(All regions after post-purchase authorised mod(no charge) by a Panasonic service center), Blue-ray(Region locked) and LAN/WiFi networking server/client.

A Yamaha player for most CD playing.

Nothing special but they cover my needs. A 205 would be nice, even a 105, but I can wait.
sloth_40_anim_gif.gif

Wes

Let's suppose that's not problem... I'm trying to figure out if any stand-alone DAC would be an upgrade over the Oppo

gvl

Major Contributor
Let's suppose that's not problem... I'm trying to figure out if any stand-alone DAC would be an upgrade over the Oppo
That was a way of saying it wouldn't be, unless you want some specific feature that's missing in the Oppo,

Casepro

It is hard to beat the Oppo. I have it running into the Anthem AVM60 preamp into JBL M2's. I am amazed at how much better the analog out of the Oppo into the Anthem sounds compared to playing the same file and using the HDMI from the Oppo to the Anthem. Even my non-audiophile, doesn't-care wife said said she can hear the difference. Objectively I don't have the ability to measure what the difference is, but it is certainly audible. I suppose there may be some other DACs or streamers that offer better user interfaces so there is always that.

Wes

Yes, Ergonomics counts (for me).

I just wish somebody would send me one of those $20,000 DACs so I could be REALLY sure...

Olli

Forum Donor
There are 2 other UHD players claiming to have an excellent audio section: Panasonic UB9004 und Pioneer LX-500. @amirm - any of these up for review in the near future?

envydd

Forum Donor
It is hard to beat the Oppo. I have it running into the Anthem AVM60 preamp into JBL M2's. I am amazed at how much better the analog out of the Oppo into the Anthem sounds compared to playing the same file and using the HDMI from the Oppo to the Anthem. Even my non-audiophile, doesn't-care wife said said she can hear the difference. Objectively I don't have the ability to measure what the difference is, but it is certainly audible. I suppose there may be some other DACs or streamers that offer better user interfaces so there is always that.
Do you need the preamp with the Oppo? Why not drive the JBLs directly?

I've been reviewing all of the straight DAC reviews tonight, looking for a reason to replace my Oppo-205s.
Haven't seen any yet as I bought at MSRP.
The fact that you can watch use it for flawless video is like, free!
I won't go into all of my tries at bypassing a preamp in the digital realm
In every case on SQ alone, I preferred having a preamp although that flies in the face of minimalist theory.
I can't provide empirical evidence but having a great preamp in the chain sounded better to me.

The othe side of the coin is functionality.
No matter how minimalist your system is, a preamp adds functions that I demand given the fact that it sounds better to me.

majingotan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No matter how minimalist your system is, a preamp adds functions that I demand given the fact that it sounds better to me.
It's not a fact, just your opinion BTW

Milt

You've taken it out the context for your own reasons, the fact is it does sound better to me.
Ergo, it is my fact.
Not you or anyone else.
I stated that explicitly.
You can pound sand

majingotan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You've taken it out the context for your own reasons, the fact is it does sound better to me.
Ergo, it is my fact.
Not you or anyone else.
You can pound sand
The word “Fact” is NOT subjective. The word fact can only be applied in objective manner therefore you cannot use the word “fact” as your own beliefs or opinions or experiences since you’re using the word in the subjective manner. I can use the word “fact” in an objective manner because it is the truth: for example that “It is a ‘fact’ Oppo UDP 205 is more transparent to the source than the Schiit Yggdrasil” You cannot say that it is a fact that your “effect box aka preamp” makes your oppo sound better since the preamp is inferior objectively. Therefore the right word is that “it is in your opinion that your preamp makes your oppo sound better

Wes

Ergo, it is my fact.
Not you or anyone else.
You can pound sand
It is a fact that you prefer A over B

It is NOT a FACT that A sounds better than B - got it?

BTW, I have some sand that needs to be pounded for the pavers on a new stair landing I'm building - anybody want to help?

tmtomh

It is a fact that you prefer A over B

It is NOT a FACT that A sounds better than B - got it?

BTW, I have some sand that needs to be pounded for the pavers on a new stair landing I'm building - anybody want to help?
You are correct - but you need to be making this comment in response to @majingotan , not @Milt , since Milt's original comment said, "the fact that it sounds better to me." So Magingotan was being pedantic from the outset - not to mention incorrect, as it is indeed a fact that Milt's system sounds better to Milt when he has a preamp in the chain.

Top Bottom