• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Oppo UDP-205 UHD Player

yue

As a way of reference, here is RME ADI-2 Pro with the same output level:
Hey @amirm could you copy the new RME ADI-2 Pro measurement to it's own page as well? It took me very long to find it here.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So is there any reason to buy a stand alone DAC if you already have the Oppo?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's suppose that's not problem... I'm trying to figure out if any stand-alone DAC would be an upgrade over the Oppo

gvl

Major Contributor
Let's suppose that's not problem... I'm trying to figure out if any stand-alone DAC would be an upgrade over the Oppo

That was a way of saying it wouldn't be, unless you want some specific feature that's missing in the Oppo,

Casepro

It is hard to beat the Oppo. I have it running into the Anthem AVM60 preamp into JBL M2's. I am amazed at how much better the analog out of the Oppo into the Anthem sounds compared to playing the same file and using the HDMI from the Oppo to the Anthem. Even my non-audiophile, doesn't-care wife said said she can hear the difference. Objectively I don't have the ability to measure what the difference is, but it is certainly audible. I suppose there may be some other DACs or streamers that offer better user interfaces so there is always that.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, Ergonomics counts (for me).

I just wish somebody would send me one of those $20,000 DACs so I could be REALLY sure...

Olli

Forum Donor
There are 2 other UHD players claiming to have an excellent audio section: Panasonic UB9004 und Pioneer LX-500. @amirm - any of these up for review in the near future?

envydd

Forum Donor
It is hard to beat the Oppo. I have it running into the Anthem AVM60 preamp into JBL M2's. I am amazed at how much better the analog out of the Oppo into the Anthem sounds compared to playing the same file and using the HDMI from the Oppo to the Anthem. Even my non-audiophile, doesn't-care wife said said she can hear the difference. Objectively I don't have the ability to measure what the difference is, but it is certainly audible. I suppose there may be some other DACs or streamers that offer better user interfaces so there is always that.

Do you need the preamp with the Oppo? Why not drive the JBLs directly?

Milt

I've been reviewing all of the straight DAC reviews tonight, looking for a reason to replace my Oppo-205s.
Haven't seen any yet as I bought at MSRP.
The fact that you can watch use it for flawless video is like, free!
I won't go into all of my tries at bypassing a preamp in the digital realm
In every case on SQ alone, I preferred having a preamp although that flies in the face of minimalist theory.
I can't provide empirical evidence but having a great preamp in the chain sounded better to me.

The othe side of the coin is functionality.
No matter how minimalist your system is, a preamp adds functions that I demand given the fact that it sounds better to me.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No matter how minimalist your system is, a preamp adds functions that I demand given the fact that it sounds better to me.

It's not a fact, just your opinion BTW

Milt

You've taken it out the context for your own reasons, the fact is it does sound better to me.
Ergo, it is my fact.
Not you or anyone else.
I stated that explicitly.
You can pound sand

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You've taken it out the context for your own reasons, the fact is it does sound better to me.
Ergo, it is my fact.
Not you or anyone else.
You can pound sand

The word “Fact” is NOT subjective. The word fact can only be applied in objective manner therefore you cannot use the word “fact” as your own beliefs or opinions or experiences since you’re using the word in the subjective manner. I can use the word “fact” in an objective manner because it is the truth: for example that “It is a ‘fact’ Oppo UDP 205 is more transparent to the source than the Schiit Yggdrasil” You cannot say that it is a fact that your “effect box aka preamp” makes your oppo sound better since the preamp is inferior objectively. Therefore the right word is that “it is in your opinion that your preamp makes your oppo sound better

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ergo, it is my fact.
Not you or anyone else.
You can pound sand

It is a fact that you prefer A over B

It is NOT a FACT that A sounds better than B - got it?

BTW, I have some sand that needs to be pounded for the pavers on a new stair landing I'm building - anybody want to help?

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a fact that you prefer A over B

It is NOT a FACT that A sounds better than B - got it?

BTW, I have some sand that needs to be pounded for the pavers on a new stair landing I'm building - anybody want to help?

You are correct - but you need to be making this comment in response to @majingotan , not @Milt , since Milt's original comment said, "the fact that it sounds better to me." So Magingotan was being pedantic from the outset - not to mention incorrect, as it is indeed a fact that Milt's system sounds better to Milt when he has a preamp in the chain.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The word “Fact” is NOT subjective...
Well sure it can be! For instance, if I say it is a fact that I intensely dislike squash, that is a truth. Or if I say it is a fact that I think such-and-such speakers sound like squash, it would be a FACT that I think so...though true, not a FACT that is IS so. And if a squash fell in an empty forest, it's a fact nobody would be around to hear it...

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Meanwhile, on a related topic, how about using a UDP-203 as a preamp? My understanding is it has the same outputs and crossover functions as the 205? Is that correct? The difference being the analog circuitry is not as nice? Or is the DAC itself lesser?
A friend's Denon AVR-2312Ci got wiggy for a day, that's now triggered a kind of excuse to upgrade, maybe direct to power amps...

Top Bottom