• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I also tried modifying the feedback network and adding other compensation components and upgrading to c0g/pps capacitors in the feedback path. Doesn't do anything either.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just got a pair of HiFiMan HE6se headphones, finally found a set of cans that makes the Atom struggle, just not enough oomph for them to sound great. Not complaining, because these cans are known to be brutally power hungry, actually shows how good this little $99 amp truly is, only hiccup I've had so far with it.
My iCan Pro on high gain has no problems driving them with authority, but they're the only pair I need high gain for, unreal.
Will have to try the amp on my ADI-2 DAC and see how it does.

magicscreen

The Atom just amplifies.
This was the problem. :)
The Usb Audio Player Pro somehow sounds bad in my system. It does not like my DAC or android or MIUI, who knows?
Using the Hiby Music Player everything is all right. (and it is free)

Evgeniy

opa1612
lme49720
opa1656
opa2156
opa1642
opa2140
njm4585
njm8068
and more I can't remember.
Limitation is the ground layout and the lme49600 itself.

Thanks.
But if I will test it (simply for me), and will replace jrc2068 to
lme49720 or opa2140, it's require changing any additional components or I can simply replace opamps ?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks.
But if I will test it (simply for me), and will replace jrc2068 to
lme49720 or opa2140, it's require changing any additional components or I can simply replace opamps ?
It's not necessary to change other components using these two opamps. One notice is that, it's easy to short one of the pins to the adjacent capacitor, iirc.

Toroid

Didn't want to wait for the Magni review so bought an Atom last night. I'm impatient :)

Stevo

Hey everyone,

New to this forum! I'm getting the HD 6XX soon, was wondering if the El Dac and atom would be a good pair to drive the cans. I like the El dac because it matches the atoms.

Also have a sound blaster Z on my pc, is that enough to pair with atoms?

Thanks,
Steven

Tatalor51

Hi,

I have a question either for amirm (great job with the reviews btw) or anyone who has both the JDS atom and the Audioengine D3 (the usb stick one) or something close to.

Driving a Sennheiser HD 660s (150 Ohms), the D3 on max volume is a bit louder than the Atom on max volume (paired with the OL DAC which is also maxed volume in windows, as the D3), no gain. Of course, with gain on, the Atom is way louder but I somehow expected it to be louder with no gain too.

Does the above sounds about right or maybe there's something off with the Atom I have?

Thank you!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Does the above sounds about right

Operates as it should. It is supposed to behave this way. That's why there is a gain switch.
Use the Atom on high gain with HD660S unless you are mostly listening below 9o'clock on the volume control.

Tatalor51

Operates as it should. It is supposed to behave this way. That's why there is a gain switch.
Use the Atom on high gain with HD660S unless you are mostly listening below 9o'clock on the volume control.
Thank you. Depending on the song, it's between 1 and 3-4 o'clock on the volume control. Is it even possible to listen at 9AM? It's like a whisper. Also, Windows volume for is 100 and Tidal volume is a bit under 98 or something (both for OL DAC).

Would be better to listen on high gain and lower volume? What are the advantages? (really new at this and trying to learn).

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
As long as you can play loud enough and have a good usable volume range use it on that setting.

You use high gain when it is needed (volpot maxed out and still want to go louder)

Tatalor51

As long as you can play loud enough and have a good usable volume range use it on that setting.

You use high gain when it is needed (volpot maxed out and still want to go louder)
So as long as I get close but not reach max volume on the control, it's fine with high gain off.

Since the D3 is a little portable amp/DAC, I was a little worried that its actually louder than the Atom on low gain (both maxed volume). But I guess the high gain is there for a reason, should not distort much and it's working fine as it is.

wyup

I don't know if others have suggested already, but how do you think the Atom would benefit from a linear power supply?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I don't know if others have suggested already, but how do you think the Atom would benefit from a linear power supply?

It has an AC power supply, inside it is all linear power supply.
Just like the Schiit Magni and unlike Geshelli Archel 2 which has a switcher inside and requires a DC input voltage.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Like the others said. It needs AC unlike most LPS supply.

Also, I don't understand the obession with LPS.

Last edited:

wyup

The Atom includes a SMPS, switching mode one. Linear power supplies are known to be better than smps, and most output DC, not AC. For example Topping sells a LPS for their DX3 Pro and D50 dacs.

Edit: Sorry, after your posts I realised it is a AC/AC adaptor, not a SMPS

Last edited:
Top Bottom