• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I would say no as in highly unlikely.
Both channels ?

I suggest to use the volume control of the DAC or windows and see if the same thing occurs at the same level but the volpot in a different position.

Last edited:

Irrenarzt

Could the volume pot cause sound quality issues?
For example:
At 9 o'clock the SQ is okay.
At 10 o'clock somehow the SQ is degraded, missing bass etc
At 11 o'clock the SQ okay.
There is no any noise, scratching from the pot.

Is this possible?

Or only in my brain :)
I am testing it now leaving at 9 o'clock and not turning off. Plugging it off instead.
There is a video on youtube that the reviewer noticed different volumes per channel at different pot positions. He goes on about it, saying the potentiometer is lower quality. This could be related.

Veri

Master Contributor
There is a video on youtube that the reviewer noticed different volumes per channel at different pot positions. He goes on about it, saying the potentiometer is lower quality. This could be related.
I think this was at launch, JDS already improved manufacturing since then.

thomasjast

Amir's review/this thread creation date: November 2018.
Above Youtube video posting date: April 2019.
JDS Labs blog mentioning channel balance/pot issue: October 2019

I ordered my Atom after emailing JDS about the channel imbalance issue, to which they said it's been improved. I can say that other than the lowest volumes (which I don't use), the channel balance is superb. I've recorded a loopback of a 1Khz tone and it's right on the money, only off by 0.1dB in some spots. Pretty happy with that.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I ordered my Atom after emailing JDS about the channel imbalance issue, to which they said it's been improved. I can say that other than the lowest volumes (which I don't use), the channel balance is superb. I've recorded a loopback of a 1Khz tone and it's right on the money, only off by 0.1dB in some spots. Pretty happy with that.
That is very good to know.
With the Atom acting as a line level pre-amp, it'd be very easy to do a quick test with a cheap ADC such as the audio input on a computer. So long as some care has been done to check the ADC for it's own channel imbalance before hand of course. It seems JDS Labs are genuinely stepping up - they seem honest enough to publicly announce issues and their solutions.

yigitboy

I ordered Atom and started using it with my Sennheiser Hd250 and Earsonic Es3 after reading Asr review. At last i am happy to see the max performance of my headphones. I started to believe that power without distortion is everything in hifi. I can listen to music comfortably with the loudest volume levels.

Echoa

Hey, just registered here as I'm going to be getting the Atom to pair with my Scarlett 2i2 as the headphone out leaves a lot to be desired but I'm otherwise very happy with its output and input. The HP out is paired with some Monoprice Retros and it being 10Ohms impedance on output I can hear it changing the bass frequencies

My Scarlett 2i2 has a 2.4Vrms at max through the TRS line out and from the the research I've been doing 2Vrms seems to be what's considered nominal. My question is, should I max the volume on the 2i2? I plan to control volume with the Atom and want things sounding best they can and I'm guestimateing 2Vrms is in the 9-10pm Zone

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hey, just registered here as I'm going to be getting the Atom to pair with my Scarlett 2i2 as the headphone out leaves a lot to be desired but I'm otherwise very happy with its output and input. The HP out is paired with some Monoprice Retros and it being 10Ohms impedance on output I can hear it changing the bass frequencies

My Scarlett 2i2 has a 2.4Vrms at max through the TRS line out and from the the research I've been doing 2Vrms seems to be what's considered nominal. My question is, should I max the volume on the 2i2? I plan to control volume with the Atom and want things sounding best they can and I'm guestimateing 2Vrms is in the 9-10pm Zone
According to the manual, I think they are saying if you use low gain mode then you can send signals up to 8.6V RMS in. Else feeding much more than 2V RMS will distort when using high gain mode.
1577386203241.png

Echoa

According to the manual, I think they are saying if you use low gain mode then you can send signals up to 8.6V RMS in. Else feeding much more than 2V RMS will distort when using high gain mode.
View attachment 43741

Thank you, I wont be using High Gain mode as i dont have HPs that need it but even still ill make sure to get close as i can to 2Vrms but wont stress about it.

Martigane

So, is this almost the best amp one could ever wish for audio quality-wise, seeing how it measures?
Or are there more measurements that would better show its limitations?
I got one, and will do some blind tests against another reference HPA, and possibly measure both with APX555.

yigitboy

So, is this almost the best amp one could ever wish for audio quality-wise, seeing how it measures?
Or are there more measurements that would better show its limitations?
I got one, and will do some blind tests against another reference HPA, and possibly measure both with APX555.
And another question; Is SINAD measurement enough for how much detail we will get?

Veri

Master Contributor
And another question; Is SINAD measurement enough for how much detail we will get?
Multitone measurents are always interesting in terms of "detail" that is not buried in noise. I hope @amirm will more often include this in HPA tests :)

i don't know if it has been already discussed, but i would like to know about the reliability of the Atom.

I'm going to buy it and have it shipped here in italy and since RMA back to the usa would a pain in the ass i just want to be sure if the failure rate is low or else

Veri

Master Contributor

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i don't know if it has been already discussed, but i would like to know about the reliability of the Atom.

I'm going to buy it and have it shipped here in italy and since RMA back to the usa would a pain in the ass i just want to be sure if the failure rate is low or else
Not many problems have been signaled compared to the number of people who bought it.

Puoi comprarlo senza esitazione.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

One can build an amplifier with very high SINAD yet can have absolutely no detail in music so the answer is no.
SINAD only says something about distortion at 1kHz and noise levels.
It is just one specification and most certainly not the most important one.

Top Bottom