• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of miniDSP SHD DAC, DSP And Streamer

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just now came across this post on an SL support forum regarding SHD (https://oplug-support.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4721#p43024):
"One characteristic of note (for those with HT systems) is the unit has a minimum 24mS latency (associated with the Dirac Live functions) that can't be bypassed. (Even with the Dirac Live disabled.)
This might also be an issue if adding a separate path for subwoofer(s) since now you have a built-in 20+ foot delay."

That should effectively quell anyone thinking miniDSP does not know anything about target markets by not having incorporated HT bypass (think not only sub, but surrounds too).

I'll stick with a $100 one-time investment (regardless which stereo and multichannel preamps are used), and a 2-3 meter walk to get off the couch for a simple switch operation between music and HT maybe once or twice per session/day . You'll have to get up more often for a new drink, and then having to dispense that same drink later anyhow :).

I have now solved this by making DIY XRL 2 -> 1 cables with a tiny 12v relay build into the XLR connector (same relay used for channel mute inside the SHD)
The 12v is switched by my AVR

rvsixer

I have now solved this by making DIY XRL 2 -> 1 cables with a tiny 12v relay build into the XLR connector (same relay used for channel mute inside the SHD)
The 12v is switched by my AVR
Very interesting! Do you have pics/diagram/relay used for the setup? So basically this is same as mechanical switching, except automated by 12V trigger on AVR? I like the idea...bypasses not-in-use preamp/processor completely as it should be, and allows true couch potatoes to not get up at all anymore (except for the getting a drink part lol).

Hayabusa

Very interesting! Do you have pics/diagram/relay used for the setup? So basically this is same as mechanical switching, except automated by 12V trigger on AVR? I like the idea...bypasses not-in-use preamp/processor completely as it should be, and allows true couch potatoes to not get up at all anymore (except for the getting a drink part lol).

Ok, a quick drawing of what I did:

1591020071744.png

data sheet for the relay:

https://omronfs.omron.com/en_US/ecb/products/pdf/en-g6k.pdf

I modified this cable by soldering the relay in the output XLR connector:

https://www.bax-shop.nl/xlr-xlr/devine-vb2015-xlr-male-2x-xlr-female-1-5-m

1591020387693.png

The relay used is exactly the one used already inside the SHD to which audio.
Its a good relay for high quality audio signal switching.

You need to make this cable for every channel you want to bypass/switch.
In my case I needed only 2 as I used the summing L R inputs of my SVS subs to sum the channels of SHD and AVR together.
I added mute commands to my Harmony remote activities for both my AVR and the SHD to make sure only one is generating a signal.

Have fun soldering it together :) It can be quite a challence :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2944

I just now came across this post on an SL support forum regarding SHD (https://oplug-support.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4721#p43024):
"One characteristic of note (for those with HT systems) is the unit has a minimum 24mS latency (associated with the Dirac Live functions) that can't be bypassed. (Even with the Dirac Live disabled.)
This might also be an issue if adding a separate path for subwoofer(s) since now you have a built-in 20+ foot delay."

I mentioned my 24mS test result over a year ago in Post #96 of this thread. :)

Dave.

carlob

Forum Donor
In my case I needed only 2 as I used the summing L R inputs of my SVS subs to sum the channels of SHD and AVR together.
I added mute commands to my Harmony remote activities for both my AVR and the SHD to make sure only one is generating a signal.

I suppose that you need another pair to use an external amp from LR AVR preouts (xlr/rca from Minidsp SHD + xlr/rca from AVR into power amp XLR)

Hayabusa

I suppose that you need another pair to use an external amp from LR AVR preouts (xlr/rca from Minidsp SHD + xlr/rca from AVR into power amp XLR)

I just need one pair.

I have two scenarios:

1: 5.1: AVR is the source and outputs 5.1. Its pre out main L and R go via this cable to my Stereo Amp (NC400), the two sub AVR outs are going to the L inputs of both subs, the center and surrounds are wired directly to the AVR (these are all active speakers), SHD is muted in this scenario.

2: Stereo: SHD is the source and preamp, its L and R go to the other inputs of this cable and the SHD sub outputs are going to the R inputs of both subs. AVR is muted in this scenario.

stren

Forum Donor
This does seem like an optimal solution to the problem good work!

rvsixer

...data sheet for the relay...
So are you using the latched or non-latched version?
Non-latched version is not rated/not suggested for continuous use due to contact degredation (though I missed any definition of continuous in the data sheet)
Latched version would be fiddly with the various on/off combos (like hooking up both 12V triggers, AND make sure both devices are off before turning on the device you want to listen to)

Hayabusa

So are you using the latched or non-latched version?
Non-latched version is not rated/not suggested for continuous use due to contact degredation (though I missed any definition of continuous in the data sheet)
Latched version would be fiddly with the various on/off combos (like hooking up both 12V triggers, AND make sure both devices are off before turning on the device you want to listen to)

I use the non latched version. I think the SHD has also exactly these inside.

rvsixer

I use the non latched version. I think the SHD has also exactly these inside.
I guess they are banking on not many users/units being muted for long continuous periods at a time. A movie or two is only 2-4 hours (assuming trigger is on AVR as in your case), so I suppose non-latched will be fine.

Just put the trigger on whatever preamp is least used to maximize contact life.

Last edited:

Hayabusa

I guess they are banking on not many users/units being muted for long continuous periods at a time. A movie or two is only 2-4 hours (assuming trigger is on AVR as in your case), so I suppose non-latched will be fine.

Just put the trigger on whatever preamp is least used to maximize contact life.

In the SHD these switches are used to disconnect all XLR pins when the unit is in mute. This means the relais are in the unpowered state as the XLR pins are also disconnected when the unit is off. So the continuous use case you mention is when the unit is on and unmuted. As these relays are designed for this use case I doubth that degradation of the contacts would happen when relay is energized for long periods. Have you seen these kind of specs in other datasheets?

rvsixer

In the SHD these switches are used to disconnect all XLR pins when the unit is in mute. This means the relais are in the unpowered state as the XLR pins are also disconnected when the unit is off. So the continuous use case you mention is when the unit is on and unmuted. As these relays are designed for this use case I doubth that degradation of the contacts would happen when relay is energized for long periods. Have you seen these kind of specs in other datasheets?
Interesting, and if so yes no worries. And I was only going by the spec sheet of relay under discussion.

ehabheikal

This is a part of shd manual. This is sorely needed in other dacs.

The SHD Series processor can be used with a Logitech® Harmony® remote3 . The same functions as the stock remote are programmed into the Harmony database. In addition, you can set up buttons for direct input source selection (instead of cycling through input sources).

What can be done in harmony can be done in many learning remotes or any lirc system.

ehabheikal

View attachment 66601

View attachment 66602

BTW genius
Would this work with RCA

ehabheikal

View attachment 66601

View attachment 66602

This could be a great way to have a raspberry pi based build be used as a limited preamp, where one in comes from rasp through dac and the other is just an analog audio in which is not possible when you have a raspberry pi as a media player. Switching the trigger can be programmed in things like jriver with its automation plugin to automatically switch to raspbery input when playing.
such could kill any need for preamps really for me :)

Hayabusa

BTW genius
Would this work with RCA

I see no reason why this would not work also with RCA.
There could be more issues with grounding than with XLR though.

Top Bottom