• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of miniDSP SHD DAC, DSP And Streamer

tlag

I’m thinking of getting one of these and was wondering if it would work with my current system. I have two subs externally powered and a digital xover controlling the subs (Behringer DCX2496). My monitors have passive xovers and I have a third sub that I would like to integrate into the system. This unit would replace my preamp and the DCX. Will the Minidsp be suitable for my system? Also thinking about adding a fourth sub to even our room response.

My current system sounds very good and measures pretty flat in room. The EQ function on the DCX works pretty well but I expect this new technology to be an improvement and it’s easier to use. The DCX is a pro crossover and is not as user friendly as the Dirac system. I am currently using an Omnimic to measure response and will double check the Minidsp measurements with the Omnimic. Any advice would be appreciated. Want to find out before I pull the trigger on the Minidsp because I don’t think they allow returns.
The SHD replaced a DEQ/DCX stack in my system. Way nicer in terms of usability and results; hard to compare, really. No problem to gang up a couple of the subs and treat them as a channel, or else add another minidsp box en route.

Not sure exactly what you meant by double check, but my impression is that SHD only works with UMIK-1.

Sonny1

The SHD replaced a DEQ/DCX stack in my system. Way nicer in terms of usability and results; hard to compare, really. No problem to gang up a couple of the subs and treat them as a channel, or else add another minidsp box en route.

Not sure exactly what you meant by double check, but my impression is that SHD only works with UMIK-1.

Thank you so much! I’ll place the order right away. I just meant I would keep the omnimic system to see how it compares to the measurements from the SHD. You are correct, the mic is not compatible with the SHD but the SHD comes with a mic (or can be ordered with one). Also, I just want an improvement, not perfection. My current system sounds great (IMO) but the DCX, as you stated, is not user friendly and it uses older technology. Plus, I don’t currently have the ability to EQ the monitors, just the bass. I’ve had the DCX for over a decade and look forward to getting a more modern user-friendly system with Direc. I’ll gang a couple subs on a channel or run a separate minidsp box on the other subs. Thankfully the additional minidsp is not expensive!

I really appreciate your recommendations. Will post measurements as soon as I get the SHD in house and set up.

tlag

I don't think so, it's not the SHD that needs to support mics, is the Dirac software so any mic supported by Dirac will work
https://www.dirac.com/recommended-microphones/
Yeah, that's for the software per se. minidsp offers hardware-specific implementations.

I already have a different measurement microphone, can I use it instead of getting a UMIK-1?
Modified on: Sun, 3 Nov, 2019 at 8:20 PM
No, unfortunately not. To ensure consistency in deployment of the Dirac Series processors, we require that the UMIK-1 be used for the measurements. It is a small part of the cost and easily worth it.

https://support.minidsp.com/support...one-can-i-use-it-instead-of-getting-a-umik-1-

tlag

...Also, I just want an improvement, not perfection. My current system sounds great (IMO) but the DCX, as you stated, is not user friendly and it uses older technology. Plus, I don’t currently have the ability to EQ the monitors, just the bass. I’ve had the DCX for over a decade and look forward to getting a more modern user-friendly system with Direc. I’ll gang a couple subs on a channel or run a separate minidsp box on the other subs. Thankfully the additional minidsp is not expensive!
The extra 2x4HD should set you back ~$200 and be plenty for the application.

No kidding, once everything in a system is basically acceptable, something like Dirac Live (no personal experience with other similar software) is really the best bang-for-buck improvement. The room-speaker interaction comprises such a huge parameter space, the measurement loop really needs to be closed. REW with PEQ is a big step up, but Dirac Live really streamlines the process, and in my case, brought a bunch of extra focus and clarity.

Was pretty happy with a DDRC-24 for several years, but Amir's reviews suggested the SHD would be an improvement, which it was, both in inherent performance as well as extra digital inputs which eliminated extra D/A-A/D for several sources.

Lemarchand

If the unit was measured via XLR instead of RCA would it be possible for a better SINAD value?

Bachemar

Forum Donor
Lately i have started to think to use this just as a room correction device and get another player. Sadly i dont not want to add another device to the chain as i have 2 dac's (Dual Subs & L+R) being fed from SHD Studio.

Why not just get Roon as the player? Think of it as $700 for a hardware player that has the advantage of not adding another box or having any hardware.

1lifeliveit

To update back on the irresponsiveness of volumio within MiniDSP SHD. Once upgraded it only became responsive again after a restart and a further couple of hours. It again became irresponsive today morning. The UPnP endpoint could be connected and played to from bubbleUPnP. So Web UI seems to be issue due to the low power of Nanopi Neo2. I had assigned static IP too as recommended in the thread.

Have been hearing a lot from wife that it is the most unreliable player we ever had.. Probably it is true. So had to do something about it quickly.

After reading the Okto dac8 stereo i realised that i could use pi4 and connect to miniDSP SHD through USB without any detremental effect on sound ifit works. Glad the review came this week as i was thinking of going the Allo Digi route. So today moved the Pi4 which was on retro game duty downstairs and installed volumio. Volumio detected it and showed as SHD in the dropdown and worked without any fiddling around.

Pi4 has a Argon ONE pi4 case, so all connections are on the back and does not look bad when placed next to the miniDSP SHD. The Argon case has a fan which can be configured to come on at various temperatures at variable speed. Once the software for it was installed and configured all is silent and good.

The Pi4 only consumes <3W when idle, so probably will leave it running. Next plan is to and an IR module within the Argon case(it has provision), so pause, forward and reverse can be used from the Harmony remote.

Still undecided on whether i should leave the NanoPi within miniSHD running or take the microsd out or may be the whole nanoPi out.

Can i ask you how have you connected RPi4 to the SHD? I'm thinking of buying the SHD studio just for DIRAC, but don't want to use Volumio.

I'm using Moode audio player on RPi into a SMSL sanskrit 10th Mk2 DAC, and was wondering if I can connect the RPi to the SHD via USB and output via coaxial to the DAC

patate91

Can i ask you how have you connected RPi4 to the SHD? I'm thinking of buying the SHD studio just for DIRAC, but don't want to use Volumio.

I'm using Moode audio player on RPi into a SMSL sanskrit 10th Mk2 DAC, and was wondering if I can connect the RPi to the SHD via USB and output via coaxial to the DAC

Not the SHD but I connect my PI on my 2x4 HD with USB

1lifeliveit

Actually tossing between DDRC-22d and the SHD studio. Looks like in my case the DDRC-22d/DDRC24 is more suitable. Is there a bid difference between Dirac V2.0 and V3.0?

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No need to use external DAC with the SHD. Just use the SHD internal DAC's.
Alternatively, if insistent on using your external DAC, I would use the SHD Studio instead of the SHD (no point in spending the extra money on its internal DAC's if they won't be used).

maverik_77

I connected the SHD Studio to RPi4 using USB. Volumio detected it as SHD Studio through USB. So hope Moode would do the same. All SHD Studio does is Dirac for me at the moment. It is then fed to Dac's using AES/coax.

1lifeliveit

I connected the SHD Studio to RPi4 using USB. Volumio detected it as SHD Studio through USB. So hope Moode would do the same. All SHD Studio does is Dirac for me at the moment. It is then fed to Dac's using AES/coax.

Brilliant. Thanks.

1lifeliveit

Also, the 4 has the added bonus of having network and USB on separate busses. Avoids many of the concurrency issues caused by this on the 3.

I think the concurrency issues on 3 is when you use ethernet and USB simultaneously. I've been using wifi only and never had any problems with clicks

Top Bottom