• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of miniDSP SHD DAC, DSP And Streamer

finitol

Hi all!
My SHD Studio is on the way.....
Dirac solution + elegible DAC + elegible Amps (always biamp IMHO) is the best choice.

I'm.coming from a NAD T758 v3 and it DAC part is the leak part of the digital chain...so i sold it and begin again to play...

My concern is around inner sample rate....

Is fixed on 96kHz and every fed is resampling to this? Cause i see some test with drcc24 getting worse conversion than adobe audition. If SHD do the same, better resampling all the stuff at 96kHz and then feeding through USB to clearer reproduction...

Am i correct? Or are some workaround to this ? Or directly let SHD do the resampling job?

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all!
My SHD Studio is on the way.....
Dirac solution + elegible DAC + elegible Amps (always biamp IMHO) is the best choice.

I'm.coming from a NAD T758 v3 and it DAC part is the leak part of the digital chain...so i sold it and begin again to play...

My concern is around inner sample rate....

Is fixed on 96kHz and every fed is resampling to this? Cause i see some test with drcc24 getting worse conversion than adobe audition. If SHD do the same, better resampling all the stuff at 96kHz and then feeding through USB to clearer reproduction...

Am i correct? Or are some workaround to this ? Or directly let SHD do the resampling job?
The SINAD of the SHD is 111 which is nearly guaranteed to be transparent. Sounds like you have read the T758V3 review here so you have seen how it tests. The DDRC24 (which I have owned as well) is based on the MInidsp 2x4hd and these results are much much worse than the SHD. See Amir's review:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urements-and-minidsp-2x4-hd-dsp-and-dac.2674/

I don't think the 96Hz thing is an issue in any way regarding transparency. Someone else that knows more can comment on that. SHD is really a nice unit.

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
AFAIK, all miniDSP's resample input to the plug in rate. Stories abound as to miniDSP's SRC not being the best, and affecting the output due to conversion issues if resampling is required (i.e. DAC independent, of course the SHD studio has no DAC's).

My next setup will be using miniDSP either nanoDIGI/SHD/SHD Studio, and my player can resample also, so we will see if I can ascertain any audible differences on my 44.1 library.

Last edited:

maverik_77

My view of SHD Studio that i have ownwed since April.

Room correction and audio quality is good. No complaints.

The irritation is with the stability of the player itself (Volumio). Before this i had a Yamaha WXC-50 which was rock solid ( No room correction though).

The Volumio interface stops responding after a couple of weeks of being on and needs a restart. Tried from Volumio App and also browser still same result. Tried using it with USB, NAS and also as DLNA renderer, same outcome. This was with version 1.061.

When there was a power outage it crashed the OS, so had to open the device, flash Volumio back to the microSD card and re-configure(minidsp support was helpful). Anyone who does not want to fiddle with it, please stay away as i am sure this will happen to you too. They use a NanoPi neo2 inside he SHD studio running volumio. It is not very powerful so if you want it to crawl a NAS with TB's of music it takes a while. In comparison, my Pi4 with Volumio crawled same NAS within 10 minutes which SHD took 4 hours.

Trying to update to 1.062 just got stuck today. I will leave it for a day and see if it comes back. The downloadble version of volumio online is 2.779, so dont know how it relates to the SHD branded version.

The SHD Studio came with the old remote that did not have many features but after talking to minidsp support was given the full list of codes from the new remote. I requested Logitech to add it against the SHD remote. Now my Logitech Elite can control pause play, volume etc. Dont know if they only added for me or it was an universal change by Logitech.

Moreover i noticed that volumio fires hundreds of calls to their server a day. The minidsp version does not have the UI statistics too. So dont know what info volumio needs to harvest from a minidsp branded/packaged software.

Just for the security conscious, Volumio is still based on Debian 8(jessie). Current is Debian 10(buster). They have a beta going on with buster. Dont know when or will it arrive to SHD devices.

Overall it has been a hit and miss device. I am ok with the niggles so far as it is within my technical expertise to fix it. Hopefully it does not throw any new curveballs. Lately i have started to think to use this just as a room correction device and get another player. Sadly i dont not want to add another device to the chain as i have 2 dac's (Dual Subs & L+R) being fed from SHD Studio.

D

Deleted member 2944

AFAIK, all miniDSP's resample input to the plug in rate. Stories abound as to miniDSP's SRC not being the best, and affecting the output due to conversion issues if resampling is required (i.e. DAC independent, of course the SHD studio has no DAC's).

My next setup will be using miniDSP either nanoDIGI/SHD/SHD Studio, and my player can resample also, so we will see if I can ascertain any audible differences on my 44.1 library.
Even if the source material is the same sample rate as the SHD operates, it still resamples. You understand that, right?

Dave.

carlob

Forum Donor
My view of SHD Studio that i have ownwed since April.

Room correction and audio quality is good. No complaints.

The irritation is with the stability of the player itself (Volumio). Before this i had a Yamaha WXC-50 which was rock solid ( No room correction though).

The Volumio interface stops responding after a couple of weeks of being on and needs a restart. Tried from Volumio App and also browser still same result. Tried using it with USB, NAS and also as DLNA renderer, same outcome. This was with version 1.061.

When there was a power outage it crashed the OS, so had to open the device, flash Volumio back to the microSD card and re-configure(minidsp support was helpful). Anyone who does not want to fiddle with it, please stay away as i am sure this will happen to you too. They use a NanoPi neo2 inside he SHD studio running volumio. It is not very powerful so if you want it to crawl a NAS with TB's of music it takes a while. In comparison, my Pi4 with Volumio crawled same NAS within 10 minutes which SHD took 4 hours.

Trying to update to 1.062 just got stuck today. I will leave it for a day and see if it comes back. The downloadble version of volumio online is 2.779, so dont know how it relates to the SHD branded version.

The SHD Studio came with the old remote that did not have many features but after talking to minidsp support was given the full list of codes from the new remote. I requested Logitech to add it against the SHD remote. Now my Logitech Elite can control pause play, volume etc. Dont know if they only added for me or it was an universal change by Logitech.

Moreover i noticed that volumio fires hundreds of calls to their server a day. The minidsp version does not have the UI statistics too. So dont know what info volumio needs to harvest from a minidsp branded/packaged software.

Just for the security conscious, Volumio is still based on Debian 8(jessie). Current is Debian 10(buster). They have a beta going on with buster. Dont know when or will it arrive to SHD devices.

Overall it has been a hit and miss device. I am ok with the niggles so far as it is within my technical expertise to fix it. Hopefully it does not throw any new curveballs. Lately i have started to think to use this just as a room correction device and get another player. Sadly i dont not want to add another device to the chain as i have 2 dac's (Dual Subs & L+R) being fed from SHD Studio.

I have the Minidsp SHD (not the Studio) since April and I am very satisfied with the device. I mostly use Roon and it works fine, I had no issues with Volumio but I use it sporadically. In my case the device is acting as a preamp, I have a turntable hooked to the analog input and a CD transport via toslink. My Mac mini works over the wired home lan without the need to use the USB input.
The SHD is supported by Logitech Harmony remote app.

The only issue I found hooking the SHD to my oscilloscope is easy to fix: if you are using Dirac don't turn volume past -10dB (or limit the output in software by 10dB) otherwise it will clip depending where and how much boost you applied to your curve. Below -10dB is safe.
If you are not using Dirac it will not clip even with the volume at 0dB. Probably Dirac needs about 10dB of headroom.

maverik_77

I have the Minidsp SHD (not the Studio) since April and I am very satisfied with the device. I mostly use Roon and it works fine, I had no issues with Volumio but I use it sporadically. In my case the device is acting as a preamp, I have a turntable hooked to the analog input and a CD transport via toslink. My Mac mini works over the wired home lan without the need to use the USB input.
The SHD is supported by Logitech Harmony remote app.

The only issue I found hooking the SHD to my oscilloscope is easy to fix: if you are using Dirac don't turn volume past -10dB (or limit the output in software by 10dB) otherwise it will clip depending where and how much boost you applied to your curve. Below -10dB is safe.
If you are not using Dirac it will not clip even with the volume at 0dB. Probably Dirac needs about 10dB of headroom.

Thanks for the tip on -10. Did not face that as i use volume control within SHD.
I dont use streaming music through it as i have it with Amazon. Also most of my collection is locally stored.

Do you leave the SHD powered on or do you shut it down?. I leave it on all the time , may be that is the reason for it behaving badly after a couple of weeks.

carlob

Forum Donor
Thanks for the tip on -10. Did not face that as i use volume control within SHD.
I dont use streaming music through it as i have it with Amazon. Also most of my collection is locally stored.

Do you leave the SHD powered on or do you shut it down?. I leave it on all the time , may be that is the reason for it behaving badly after a couple of weeks.

I shut it down when not in use. By the way I think you can use many other music players with the SHD and your NAS over the network, for example: https://www.minidsp.com/applications/audio-streaming/using-a-nas-with-shd

Sonny1

I’m thinking of getting one of these and was wondering if it would work with my current system. I have two subs externally powered and a digital xover controlling the subs (Behringer DCX2496). My monitors have passive xovers and I have a third sub that I would like to integrate into the system. This unit would replace my preamp and the DCX. Will the Minidsp be suitable for my system? Also thinking about adding a fourth sub to even our room response.

My current system sounds very good and measures pretty flat in room. The EQ function on the DCX works pretty well but I expect this new technology to be an improvement and it’s easier to use. The DCX is a pro crossover and is not as user friendly as the Dirac system. I am currently using an Omnimic to measure response and will double check the Minidsp measurements with the Omnimic. Any advice would be appreciated. Want to find out before I pull the trigger on the Minidsp because I don’t think they allow returns.

carlob

Forum Donor
I’m thinking of getting one of these and was wondering if it would work with my current system. I have two subs externally powered and a digital xover controlling the subs (Behringer DCX2496). My monitors have passive xovers and I have a third sub that I would like to integrate into the system. This unit would replace my preamp and the DCX. Will the Minidsp be suitable for my system? Also thinking about adding a fourth sub to even our room response.

My current system sounds very good and measures pretty flat in room. The EQ function on the DCX works pretty well but I expect this new technology to be an improvement and it’s easier to use. The DCX is a pro crossover and is not as user friendly as the Dirac system. I am currently using an Omnimic to measure response and will double check the Minidsp measurements with the Omnimic. Any advice would be appreciated. Want to find out before I pull the trigger on the Minidsp because I don’t think they allow returns.

You can use the SHD with two subs (it will do xover for them) as it has 4 channels. If you want more than two subs you can use an y-cable to connect two subs to each of the two channels losing the ability to control each sub individually or add an external minidsp to control each of the four subs. Both methods are covered in the application notes on the Minidsp website.

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/audio-streaming/sub-integration-with-shd

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/home-theater-tuning/tuning-multiple-subs

maverik_77

I shut it down when not in use. By the way I think you can use many other music players with the SHD and your NAS over the network, for example: https://www.minidsp.com/applications/audio-streaming/using-a-nas-with-shd

Thanks, that makes sense on why i am facing instability after few weeks. Looks like i will have to shut it down and restart it more often.

Also upgraded volumio to 1.062. Upon upgrade it went non responsive for 15 minutes. Came back and played one song. While playing second song suddenly stopped and went unresponsive for another 15 minutes. Either it is a bug in the new version or most probably the NanoPi is ok when playing something but too underpowered when doing any kind of processing.

Sonny1

You can use the SHD with two subs (it will do xover for them) as it has 4 channels. If you want more than two subs you can use an y-cable to connect two subs to each of the two channels losing the ability to control each sub individually or add an external minidsp to control each of the four subs. Both methods are covered in the application notes on the Minidsp website.

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/audio-streaming/sub-integration-with-shd

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/home-theater-tuning/tuning-multiple-subs

thank you very much! I’ll have to give this some thought. Maybe put the y connector on one of the speaker connectors and use the active crossovers for the two passive subs. They need a crossover but the powered sub is more like the speakers and has an internal crossover. I’ll have to dig through the tutorial. Thanks again for the advice.

rvsixer

thank you very much! I’ll have to give this some thought. Maybe put the y connector on one of the speaker connectors and use the active crossovers for the two passive subs. They need a crossover but the powered sub is more like the speakers and has an internal crossover. I’ll have to dig through the tutorial. Thanks again for the advice.
I'd stick with @carlob 's excellent advice. If you hook it up as above, your subs be always playing behind the mains (delay wise), the crossover won't integrate as well, and I suspect Dirac may have a tough time too. I'd spend the single c-note and get all the subs integrated on a 2x4, fed off low pass analog output on the SHD.

Karu

Forum Donor
I have also found that once the SHD disappeares from the network (sporadic, but anecdotally usually after an Apple device messes up the connection, never say when using Tidal via Volumio) and is not visible for streaming, it takes a restart f both the router and itself to get back on.

rvsixer

I have also found that once the SHD disappeares from the network (sporadic, but anecdotally usually after an Apple device messes up the connection, never say when using Tidal via Volumio) and is not visible for streaming, it takes a restart f both the router and itself to get back on.
Assuming you are using DHCP, try setting everything up with static addresses. This cured like ills for me on my current setup, stable for years now.

finitol

Even if the source material is the same sample rate as the SHD operates, it still resamples. You understand that, right?

Dave.
That is a bit confusing to me....volumio resample vs shd itself resample.....

Are any other way to do it best?

Could anyone to enlight me with a proper explanation for the resampling cycle....and good practice for it?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2944

That is a bit confusing to me....volumio resample vs shd itself resample.....
Are any other way to do it best?
Could anyone to enlight me with a proper explanation for the resampling cycle....and good practice for it?
Two different resampling setups at work in the SHD.

The LAN input uses the Volumio functionality in conjunction with the Pi-like streamer. (You can enable/adjust re-sampling if you like.)
The rest of the digital inputs process through the normal ASRC. (No user adjustability there.)

I see no reason to enable the Volumio re-sampling....unless you run into some sort of compatibility problem. Like maybe DSD files that don't play correctly.
Whatever the native sampling-rate of your program material is, the SHD will turn it into a 96khz format.

Dave.

finitol

Two different resampling setups at work in the SHD.

The LAN input uses the Volumio functionality in conjunction with the Pi-like streamer. (You can enable/adjust re-sampling if you like.)
The rest of the digital inputs process through the normal ASRC. (No user adjustability there.)

I see no reason to enable the Volumio re-sampling....unless you run into some sort of compatibility problem. Like maybe DSD files that don't play correctly.
Whatever the native sampling-rate of your program material is, the SHD will turn it into a 96khz format.

Dave.
Ok, thanks a lot...

My only use is for my flac collection through LAN and i set resampling on fixed 32bit/96kHz....

On volumio resampling algorithm is SOX, isn't it?

maverik_77

To update back on the irresponsiveness of volumio within MiniDSP SHD. Once upgraded it only became responsive again after a restart and a further couple of hours. It again became irresponsive today morning. The UPnP endpoint could be connected and played to from bubbleUPnP. So Web UI seems to be issue due to the low power of Nanopi Neo2. I had assigned static IP too as recommended in the thread.

Have been hearing a lot from wife that it is the most unreliable player we ever had.. Probably it is true. So had to do something about it quickly.

After reading the Okto dac8 stereo i realised that i could use pi4 and connect to miniDSP SHD through USB without any detremental effect on sound ifit works. Glad the review came this week as i was thinking of going the Allo Digi route. So today moved the Pi4 which was on retro game duty downstairs and installed volumio. Volumio detected it and showed as SHD in the dropdown and worked without any fiddling around.

Pi4 has a Argon ONE pi4 case, so all connections are on the back and does not look bad when placed next to the miniDSP SHD. The Argon case has a fan which can be configured to come on at various temperatures at variable speed. Once the software for it was installed and configured all is silent and good.

The Pi4 only consumes <3W when idle, so probably will leave it running. Next plan is to and an IR module within the Argon case(it has provision), so pause, forward and reverse can be used from the Harmony remote.

Still undecided on whether i should leave the NanoPi within miniSHD running or take the microsd out or may be the whole nanoPi out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom