• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine as well.

al2002

Anyone know if this is discontinued? it hasn’t been available for a while.

bequietjk

Would be wicked if they came out with an updated 789 with even better measurements:)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would be wicked if they came out with an updated 789 with even better measurements:)
You mean, like the Monoprice version? The 887?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Anyone know if this is discontinued? it hasn’t been available for a while.
I notice that it isn't available on Amazon or any other store it seems... according to Drop it has 23k requests but they haven't actually built it again.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the tip. I googled the Monoprice. It’s in stock and cheaper than the Massdrop. Amir’s review of the Monoprice was quite positive too.
I bought one on sale several months ago in case my Massdrop amp went kaput.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Selarom

Glad to hear a lot of you have been enjoying this amp for a long time. I can't say the same. The scratchy volume pot is a real problem. and trying to replace it is a challenge. The volume knob seems to be glued with epoxy to the stem. I keep it at a steady volume and control volume from the DAC. However, even with this issue, I enjoy the way it drives my HD600 like a boss.

Veri

Master Contributor
Glad to hear a lot of you have been enjoying this amp for a long time. I can't say the same. The scratchy volume pot is a real problem. and trying to replace it is a challenge.
Yeah mine got scratchy quite quickly, too. It's the same for both drop and monoprice variants though.

vaidd

Glad to hear a lot of you have been enjoying this amp for a long time. I can't say the same. The scratchy volume pot is a real problem. and trying to replace it is a challenge. The volume knob seems to be glued with epoxy to the stem. I keep it at a steady volume and control volume from the DAC. However, even with this issue, I enjoy the way it drives my HD600 like a boss.
I had the same issue and found no way to cleanly swap the potentiometer. Instead, I cleaned & lubed it and it's been good for the last 1.5 years. More on my solution in #1491.

Top Bottom