• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for this "amp 101".. :)

So do I understand it right that connecting a Chord Qutest DAC directly into this amp will render DAC's optical input useless since optical input has no volume control?

Thanks!
What are you using now?

This is an amp “separate” piece.
You might be looking for an integrated amp which this is not.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
L

The AHB2 high, medium, and low gain settings can be used as rudimentary volume control, but I would not recommend it. :p

- Rich
o_Oo_Oo_O NO! he could possibly blow up his speakers with the first use!
Vovgan, as has been explained here "basic power amps" are not expected to include any type of volume control. Neither are they expected to have switching for different input sources, tone controls, remotes, etc. All of those features are normally in the component that comes before it, the "preamp" as it is normally referred to. As already mentioned you might be better served by a integrated amp, named as such because it integrates the preamp and basic power amp into one component. Or if you want the stellar performance of the ABH2, add a preamp before it, available from many source including Benchmark.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
o_Oo_Oo_O NO! he could possibly blow up his speakers with the first use!
Vovgan, as has been explained here "basic power amps" are not expected to include any type of volume control. Neither are they expected to have switching for different input sources, tone controls, remotes, etc. All of those features are normally in the component that comes before it, the "preamp" as it is normally referred to. As already mentioned you might be better served by a integrated amp, named as such because it integrates the preamp and basic power amp into one component. Or if you want the stellar performance of the ABH2, add a preamp before it, available from many source including Benchmark.

I was joking, of course, and did not recommend it but your point is well taken.
Also, never turn your volume up too loud and look both ways before crossing the road.

- Rich

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure mine came with the 12v trigger connector, and (I think) some fuses. Not sure about it, as I ordered the DAC too, so maybe those accessories were with that. Oh yeah... might have been a gel pack you were warned not to eat. And a plastic bag that is not a toy.

The AHB2 comes with the power cord, trigger cable, and a pair of replacement fuses. The fuses are a nice touch.

- Rich

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The AHB2 comes with the power cord,
Yea but it will never sound it's best until you replace it with the Synergistic Research SR25 $9,995 power cord. :p
SRX.jpg

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yea but it will never sound it's best until you replace it with the Synergistic Research SR25 $9,995 power cord. :p
SRX.jpg

How much for the one with a locking connector? :)

That looks fantastic, will it overcome my neighborhood wiring?

electrical-cables-tangled-wires-on-a-pylon-kochi-cochin-kerala-india-en37w8.jpg

- Rich

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That looks fantastic, will it overcome my neighborhood wiring?
You in China? I thought it was Massachusetts LOL

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The AHB2 comes with the power cord, trigger cable, and a pair of replacement fuses. The fuses are a nice touch.

Maybe they know you're going to blow them...

Most 1970s HiFi amplifiers and receivers came with a little clear plastic bag with a spare fuse, often taped to the back panel. They frequently had the last page of the owner's manual printed with a full schematic too, or supplied a fold out separate schematic. Maybe Benchmark should do that too.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
They frequently had the last page of the owner's manual printed with a full schematic too, or supplied a fold out separate schematic. Maybe Benchmark should do that too.
Ancient Chinese Secrets.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe they know you're going to blow them...

Most 1970s HiFi amplifiers and receivers came with a little clear plastic bag with a spare fuse, often taped to the back panel. They frequently had the last page of the owner's manual printed with a full schematic too, or supplied a fold out separate schematic. Maybe Benchmark should do that too.

The only amp that I ever had blow a fuse was a Parasound during power up.
It took a day to get a replacement. I expect it won’t happen, but if the AHB2, does I have 10. :)

- Rich

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
It took a day to get a replacement. I expect it won’t happen, but if the AHB2, does I have 10. :)

- Rich

Obviously never owned an original Blaze Linear 700...

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Obviously never owned an original Blaze Linear 700...
I guess Blaze is more than just a name.

My brother had a Phase Linear D500 driving JBL L150's that was really nice at the time. One day, he decided to disconnect the phono with the amp on. I was upstairs and nearly fell off the couch. The woofer was fused and fully extended. I suppose any amp that cannot completely destroy a pair of speakers is not worth having :p

- Rich

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

- Rich
Fuse action has always been pretty rare for me.

Quad 405 (had tiny fuses that were difficult to find in the States). Not sure why they blew. But it worked fine upon replacement.

Acoustat TNT 200 blew a fuse. Again, not sure why since amp worked fine with replacement.

Amber Series 70 fuses went. The amp self-destructed into a low impedance load, as near as I could tell. Factory repaired it. I sold it. Company folded. Experience cured me of small boutique products.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
When I was a teenager and learning amplifier repair, I blew my fair share of fuses as I couldn't afford a variac. I'd fix what I could, then power up the 'repaired' amp with a low value fuse. Then a wise old tech told me about dim bulb testers. When he died, I bought all his stuff at auction, including his variac. Fast forward over 40 years and I still have some of his hand tools in use and NOS parts in my storage.

I don't think I've accidentally/deliberately blown a fuse for years- other people do that for me and I see the consequences. Plenty of power output testing watching the rail fuses glow red, twist and warp under full sine into dummy loads. Often replacing under-rated rail/speaker fuses before testing saves un-necessary reaching for the fuse boxes after the event.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Plenty of power output testing watching the rail fuses glow red, twist and warp under full sine into dummy loads.
Can we get a video sometime?? :)

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

veeceem

I don't know much about the numbers, but if this amp has such great measurements, does that mean it will be as good as any high-est end amps which have similar measurements, regardless of class, price?
I'm using a Chord Qutest -> Rogue Cronus Magnum 3 -> Tannoy Westminter GR
Consider to change to a Benchmark DAC3 -> Benchmark AHB2 amp.
Thanks in advance!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I don't know much about the numbers, but if this amp has such great measurements, does that mean it will be as good as any high-est end amps which have similar measurements, regardless of class, price?
I'm using a Chord Qutest -> Rogue Cronus Magnum 3 -> Tannoy Westminter GR
Consider to change to a Benchmark DAC3 -> Benchmark AHB2 amp.
Thanks in advance!
Don't think you need to change to DAC3, they are both sota performance. But AHB2 is class leading where competitors struggle.

Top Bottom