• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

typericey

Benchmark DAC3 and AHB2, plus JBL M2. o_O Wow, that’s pretty much endgame for me.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Benchmark DAC3 and AHB2, plus JBL M2. o_O Wow, that’s pretty much endgame for me.
You and me both. Every week when I buy my Mega Millions Florida lottery ticket, I do a sign of the cross and say a little prayer. LOL

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Every week when I buy my Mega Millions Florida lottery ticket, I do a sign of the cross and say a little prayer. LOL

We had a big (for us in Aust) jackpot last night which didn't go off again, so it's apparently $80M next week. And tonight's one is $30M. Oh, and no tax in Australia if you win BTW, it's 100% yours in 2 weeks. (apparently you have to wait two weeks after the claim). I figure I can wait 2 weeks, as long as they pay me interest...

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
It would take two weeks to find the perfect place on the southern Queensland/northern NSW coast... within easy walking distance of a nice beach and break. Might need a few AHB2s in bridged mode to drive the spl loud enough to hear the music above the roar of the ocean and cicadas on the patio!

orangejello

I am evaluating the AHB2 in my system just now. I decided to try it because of its performance measurements and the hypothesis that “if it measures better it will be more enjoyable for me.” It has been playing for at least 12 hours. And get ready for this - I am not enjoying it.

On the first level, it has actually started to hurt my left ear - maybe from overdoing it on Bruckner’s fifth last night? I had resolved to listen to the AHB2 for a couple of weeks before comparing it to the NAD M22 v2. I didn’t make it. I put the NAD back in, and I could finally relax again. My ear can tolerate it. Go figure?

I don’t know why I am this sensitive. I am not making a subjective judgement. I am having a physiologically reaction. This has happen occasionally before when I have evaluated other gear. I don’t know why. The NAD did not do this to me, and I have been listening to it for almost 6 weeks. Clearly this is perculiar to me, as many others have nothing but the highest praise for the AHB2.

On an observational level, the AHB2 seems to resolve details ever so slightly better than the NAD. I am not certain of that though. On the other hand, in my system the bass is clearly more enjoyable with the NAD. I know, I know. “Both amps have great damping and handle impedance swings in an exemplary way, so your observation is BS.”

I will go so far as to say that I find music is more enjoyable with the NAD. I won’t try to elaborate any further than that because aesthetic judgement are forbidden on this form - except that I can’t resist trotting out that old saw “the ABH2 sounds grey to me whereas the NAD seems to float sound on a black background.”

Because this amp is so highly regarded, I am going to keep working with it for a while. I will try it in some of my friends’ systems and get their opinions. Maybe once my ear cools down and I can intently listen again, I will appreciate this stellar measuring amp.

If this kind of language upsets the pure objectivists, let me know and I will quit posting. But surely you guys must see that if we follow your logic, since the AHB2 has vanishingly low distortion, as do several dac, everyone should be quite happy to just get these and be done with it. That is not working out for me so far. I also should say that I make these comments with no malice intended for anyone. So if you inclined to pugnaciousness, please try to rein it in. There is enough of that in the wider world.

gvl

Major Contributor
Don't switch to other amps, keep listening only to the Benchmark, if the situation doesn't improve after a week, well, it happens. I had a similar reaction listening to a good measuring DAC at first coming from a "richer" sounding one, but after my brain adjusted it's all good.

Edit: Duh, I missed you did that already. Well, that's what the return policy is for.

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
Also what is your source and speakers? Perhaps the AHB2 just emphasized other issues in your system?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
On the first level, it has actually started to hurt my left ear - maybe from overdoing it on Bruckner’s fifth last night?

I will go so far as to say that I find music is more enjoyable with the NAD. I won’t try to elaborate any further than that because aesthetic judgement are forbidden on this form - except that I can’t resist trotting out that old saw “the ABH2 sounds grey to me whereas the NAD seems to float sound on a black background.”
Oh brother. Maybe the real answer is that its time to quit drinking. ;)

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@orangejello
Bruckner symphonies have huge sections of high amplitude brass--at least fortissimo (ff) if not fortississimo (fff) or beyond haha!. If the Benchmark is allowing higher dynamic range, and is not distorting or softening those intense peaks, it could certainly hurt someone's ears. Compare SPL during those peaks with the two amps, perhaps. If the Benchmark produces less distortion, you may be listening at higher volumes. Just a few thoughts on possible reasons for your reaction.

I recently listened to the 9 numbered Bruckner symphonies in an under-24-hour marathon, and had to be mindful of the volume and my hearing haha!

Last edited:

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I will go so far as to say that I find music is more enjoyable with the NAD. I won’t try to elaborate any further than that because aesthetic judgement are forbidden on this form -
Is that true, it would be unfortunate if that was so?

agtp

You and me both. Every week when I buy my Mega Millions Florida lottery ticket, I do a sign of the cross and say a little prayer. LOL

Sal, it appears that you and the pigeon have something in common.:D

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not completely true.
Here, listening impressions are welcome...as long as they confirm measurements :D

There are measurements here and elsewhere confirming the extemporary performance of the AHB2 amps. Therefore, listening impressions are welcome... Hmmm. :p

- Rich

garbulky

Major Contributor
I am evaluating the AHB2 in my system just now. I decided to try it because of its performance measurements and the hypothesis that “if it measures better it will be more enjoyable for me.” It has been playing for at least 12 hours. And get ready for this - I am not enjoying it.

On the first level, it has actually started to hurt my left ear - maybe from overdoing it on Bruckner’s fifth last night? I had resolved to listen to the AHB2 for a couple of weeks before comparing it to the NAD M22 v2. I didn’t make it. I put the NAD back in, and I could finally relax again. My ear can tolerate it. Go figure?

I don’t know why I am this sensitive. I am not making a subjective judgement. I am having a physiologically reaction. This has happen occasionally before when I have evaluated other gear. I don’t know why. The NAD did not do this to me, and I have been listening to it for almost 6 weeks. Clearly this is perculiar to me, as many others have nothing but the highest praise for the AHB2.

On an observational level, the AHB2 seems to resolve details ever so slightly better than the NAD. I am not certain of that though. On the other hand, in my system the bass is clearly more enjoyable with the NAD. I know, I know. “Both amps have great damping and handle impedance swings in an exemplary way, so your observation is BS.”

Because this amp is so highly regarded, I am going to keep working with it for a while. I will try it in some of my friends’ systems and get their opinions. Maybe once my ear cools down and I can intently listen again, I will appreciate this stellar measuring amp.

If this kind of language upsets the pure objectivists, let me know and I will quit posting. But surely you guys must see that if we follow your logic, since the AHB2 has vanishingly low distortion, as do several dac, everyone should be quite happy to just get these and be done with it. That is not working out for me so far. I also should say that I make these comments with no malice intended for anyone. So if you inclined to pugnaciousness, please try to rein it in. There is enough of that in the wider world.
Take your time with it. However, because you couln't wait to slot the old amp back in, it probably bodes poorly for the AHB2. You may also need to readjust your speakers positioning to get the best effect with the new amp.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Subjective views are permitted. It's just that nobody is prepared to accept a "better" or "best" evaluation on the basis of subjectivity. That leaves room for personal preferences... provided they're not being put into an objective wrapper and the underlying pseudoscience presented as a substitute for objective scientific principles.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
That leaves room for personal preferences... provided they're not being put into an objective wrapper and the underlying pseudoscience presented as a substitute for objective scientific principles.

The two don't follow, personal preference is just that a personal preference.

typericey

@orangejello thanks for the feedback. IMO listening impressions shouldn't be dismissed in this forum as heresy or blasphemy. As long as you don't drop the subjective adjective bombs like "musical" and "airy", you're safe here. ;)

Were you looking at the AHB2 as an upgrade for the NAD? I ask because if you're at the M2 V2 level already, perhaps the AHB2 wont really give you a marked improvement. The AHB2 would only be "better" if you're coming from distinctly worse measuring gear like a tube amp or the Rotel integrated :facepalm: that I'm currently running.

Still, I think your Benchmark deserves more time on your rack.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Is that true, it would be unfortunate if that was so?
This is a science based website. If your going to present strong opinions on the sound of one component compared to another you should be prepared to back that up with the data from your bias controlled DBT's. Things are a little different here from the audiophool sites where they gush on and on over the sound of $5000 power cables and USB widgets.
Evidence is expected if your opinion is expected to be taken seriously.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
This is a science based website. If your going to present strong opinions on the sound of one component compared to another you should be prepared to back that up with the data from your bias controlled DBT's. Things are a little different here from the audiophool sites where they gush on and on over the sound of $5000 power cables and USB widgets.
Evidence is expected if your opinion is expected to be taken seriously.

Your reaction is totally overboard to my simple comment. You clearly don't know me or you might think twice about your comment.

Top Bottom