• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Audio-GD R8

dmac6419

Major Contributor
yes Uh hah ,it’s a forum you are not the judge or-the jury, just a person with
nothing positive to contribute. What digital do you have that is so spectacular ?
Yea I'm not an audiogd fan either, but I wanna know too what has he/she developed that is so spectacular too,maybe I might wanna buy one of them Un Huh's.

Dallas2122

there is plenty of great digital out there ,Audio GD has had their faults in the past
That being said,but the last 2 years there has been very big improvements in many areas especially these 2021 MK-2 models ,it’s now very competitive in its price class . only You can listen to a product and say if you like it or not, keep an open mind ,you might be surprised . Even Audio GD latest $1200 R2R dac other Gear
are very good value products.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
yes Uh hah ,it’s a forum you are not the judge or-the jury, just a person with
nothing positive to contribute. What digital do you have that is so spectacular ?

Lots of assertion, no data or evidence. What I own and use is irrelevant.

Dallas2122

I am going by what myself and friends observed ,I am not a reviewer and specs and measuring testing are not my thing .if it sounds good
and I like it and I can afford it I buy it ,as I stated earlier a vacuum tube for example measures like crap vs solid state but its flavor or distortions are liked by many.That’s why there are choices.

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
One of our audio group brought the Pontus 2 the other had the audio gdR8 mk2
there was 6 of us , the pontus hsd a bit more micro detail , but the R8 mk2 has several very good adjustments to change the sonic character ,and have a much more substantial power supplies the dynamics and power control was very apparent the units had pangea power cords , and med priced AQ carbon usb cables the units had only 3 hour warm up in the morning but a solid 4 hours was used with exactly the same songs of all types . I don’t know where you live
but I would gladly invite others to come over in Aug - Sept to hear my dac once I get it and run It in.

So you DID do some double-blind evaluation? Can you post the statistics please?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it’s a forum you are not the judge or-the jury, just a person with
nothing positive to contribute
Well, since you do need some help with basic observation:

Screenshot_20210614-110444~3.png

Screenshot_20210614-110440~2.png

The second member sounds waaaay better to me. No need for some blind test, the difference is night and day. Even my wife could hear the difference from the other room... Especially after 3 years of burn-in.

Also, the "nothing positive" is quite symptomatic about the forums you've probably been before. If you used to read for just every gear: "sounds better than products that cost twice the price", then I understand that a place like ASR could be a bit disturbing.;)

About that, I prefer this kind of post:
i Just gave my opinion and observations ,nothing-more To add.
the latest Audio GD MK-2 , sounds very good !!
Than claiming such nonsense like you heard just about every DAC under 10K.

You shared your observations: AGD Mk2 sounds good... to you. Great.That will remains an umpteenth annecdote, when no objective evidence whatsoever to back it up.

Dallas2122

Whatever you guys had for measurements ,you didnot mention how good it sounded which was pretty good and BTW the New 2021Audio GT R7,and R8 MK2 are improved is several important area they run much cooler and far more linear
For they are using all Better-quality R core transformers ,pure class A for 2 transformers on the analog outputs ,
But in the critical digital outputs it uses a high spec R core transformers
And New very high quality servo controlled, the latest ultra quiet power regulators
Over 30,000 uf in low ESR capacitance ,and 135 watt output capability for a very robust power supply .I only have 200 hours on it a solid 4-500 hours for full Runin
And New, the Ram buffer takes the incoming digital signal and then only at the output does it go to 2 ultrahigh precision Femto clocks for excellent accuracy
The New R8 mk2 just came out end of April 2021,and has 7 true adjustments for sound quality 4- Non-oversampling modes,1 is new a Vinyl mode that makes older-bright CDs sound much better, and 3- Oversampling modes it weighs almost 26 lbs and even though not fully run in it is noticably better sounding then my DenafripsPontus 2, that I just sold ,it’s power-supplies give it a deep and controlled presentation great image depth and a Big wide soundstage .a Great buy at $2k.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Whatever you guys had for measurements ,you didnot mention how good it sounded which was pretty good and BTW the New 2021Audio GT R7,and R8 MK2 are improved is several important area they run much cooler and far more linear
For they are using all Better-quality R core transformers ,pure class A for 2 transformers on the analog outputs ,
And New very high quality servo controlled, the latest ultra quiet power regulators
Over 30,000 uf in low ESR capacitance ,and 135 watt output capability for a very robust power supply .I only have 200 hours on it a solid 4-500 hours for full Runin
And New, the Ram buffer takes the incoming digital signal and then only at the output does it go to 2 ultrahigh precision Femto clocks for excellent accuracy
The New R8 mk2 just came out end of April 2021,and has 7 true adjustments for sound quality 4- Non-oversampling modes,1 is new a Vinyl mode that makes older-bright CDs sound much better, and 3- Oversampling modes it weighs almost 26 lbs and even though not fully run in it is noticably better sounding then my DenafripsPontus 2, that I just sold ,it’s power-supplies give it a deep and controlled presentation great image depth and a Big wide soundstage .a Great buy at $2k.
Actually the power requirements for a DAC are so minute that the only thing fancy needed in the power supply is rejection of mains borne interference and hum.
Most DACs have a linearity, lack of distortion and sufficient SNR to be better than anybodies ears, and this has been the case for decades IMO.
When I auditioned DACs over a very big price range I was surprised to find that all the differences I thought I heard were not there when the levels were matched and I didn't know which one I was listening to.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Cut 'n' paste from ad copy?

Dallas2122

the New Audio GD dacs are a Clear step.we always level match with a SPL meter.
the Big 3 Rcore transformers over30,000 in filter capacitance with the newFPGA
and ram for in coming signal gives this dac a much more demanding control
in presentation while the R2R ladder dac is still very detailed and refined
and having 7 true user adjustments that allow you to Taylor the sound to your audio system is a big plus . It made my Never Topping D70s which is very respectable
seem closed in and lacking dynamics .in Bass impact outstanding .
itbest my Denafrips pontus-2 , in almost every level ,sndthst is saying a lot
and not fully run in is saying a lot . AudioGD spent all of 2020 redesigning their dac line up and I am very pleased with the results I am getting ,s Very natural sounding dac and Big step up to the older previous models including their older top model R7.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
and having 7 true user adjustments that allow you to Taylor the sound to your audio system is a big plus . It made my Never Topping D70s which is very respectable
and not fully run in is saying a lot . AudioGD spent all of 2020 redesigning their dac line up and I am very pleased with the results I am getting ,s Very natural sounding dac and Big step up to the older previous models including their older top model R7.
:facepalm:

Veri

Master Contributor
o_O
"spent all of 2020 redesigning their dac line up" :oops: yeah not really :facepalm:

raif71

Major Contributor
I like your enthusiasm...welcome to ASR :D

THW

Forum Donor

pretty sure you need to level match using a voltmeter, using an SPL meter is very prone to massive error, no?

Last edited:

rocksteady

Forum Donor
Totally agree with that. Although I would add - if only 'signature sounds' weren't also additive in nature (if they're significant at least). It's one thing to have a device which colors the sound in a way that's pleasant rather than perfectly transparent. The problem then is we're back to the whole "synergistic selection" circle... because if the rest of the chain isn't transparent either... that coloration is likely to be further mutated into something that is less enjoyable.

I guess that's why I prefer everything be as transparent as possible and then use DSP, etc. to season as desired - rather than rely on the devices themselves to provide it all the time. Plus then it can be adjusted according to content - rather than having to listen to every recording the same way.
Excellent points!

rocksteady

Forum Donor
And no, sound reproduction is not the same as creating music. Equipment has no emotion. Cares not if you tell it to produce a beautiful note or a screeching sound.

Precisely! Comparing a Musician with a piece of Audio Gear is typical Audiophile drivel…

Top Bottom