• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M16 Speaker Review

nathan

They are not really that much taller than the center channel, and they cost less and sound better.

But yes I can see one might need to compromise on sound and cost in order to get something that fits better. I almost did that with my setup but decided to try it anyway. Works great and looks fine imo in my setup.

Anyway I think it’s worth considering.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are not really that much taller than the center channel, and they cost less and sound better.

But yes I can see one might need to compromise on sound and cost in order to get something that fits better. I almost did that with my setup but decided to try it anyway. Works great and looks fine imo in my setup.

Anyway I think it’s worth considering.

M16 is 14.75" tall and C25 is 7.25" so the M16 is a full 7.5 inches higher. That's more than twice the height. No way that's going to fit under my TV. :)

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
M16 is 14.75" tall and C25 is 7.25" so the M16 is a full 7.5 inches higher. That's more than twice the height. No way that's going to fit under my TV. :)

I would look at the Infinity RC263. It's both cheaper and better than the C25. They regularly go on sale for $199.

nathan

Yeah, I was overstating the similarity. Sorry about that one!

I solved it be getting a new stand for the center.

But yes to answer your question, that C25 is the only center speaker in the Concerta 2 line.

(That alone might make considering the move to the Performa 3 line worthwhile, since they have a properly designed center channel in that line, but I'm guessing that doubles your budget...)

sethr

Has anybody tried to plug the ports to lower the bass response? I see Revel offers foam plugs with the m105/m106, I wonder if there are similar ones that could be used with the m16s. I've had to move the speakers closer to a wall...

nathan

I just used EQ and bass management and that worked very well.

Note the port tuning is lower than the slight bump at 100hz so I don’t think stuffing the port would change that.

Last edited:

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
But looking at the current tested speakers. Genelec 8341A is the high-end compact three ways. If we look at high-end bookshelf monitor speaker category, I have a few candidates:
1) ATC SCM20ASL Pro
2) PSI 14/17/21/23/25M
3) Neumann KH80DSP, KH310
4) PMC Loudspeakers IB1S-AIII
5) Kii Three
6) Dutch & Dutch 8C
Buchardt s500.

MeThinksTooMuch

Forum Donor
Has anybody tried to plug the ports to lower the bass response? I see Revel offers foam plugs with the m105/m106, I wonder if there are similar ones that could be used with the m16s. I've had to move the speakers closer to a wall...
I’m not an audio expert. Currently auditioning PerformaBe M126Be based on this site. My understanding is stuffing ports make it easier for bass management when you have a sub. I have one, so I stuffed during calibration. But I don’t leave them in all the time. I leave them in when listening to less heavy bass music like classical chamber where the sub isn’t really getting activated but sometimes take them out when the sub starts firing to compare. Sometimes I leave them out, sometimes put them back depending on results. Still figuring it all out. I still need to redo a calibration w/o plugs, then do A/B compare with the plug in/out, but for now I can hear what I like in each scenario and just roll with it.

Caveat emptor - Chris

enio nery

just scored a pair of these for 450 used in pristine condition. happy to know measure really really good!

GimeDsp

This or another pair of Revel bookshelf are going to be my next bookshelf purchase.

It was these are a different pair that Danny at G R research or whatever was saying was made with "cheap, thin. toxic Chinese MDF".
Actually it was a more $$ pair.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This or another pair of Revel bookshelf are going to be my next bookshelf purchase.

It was these are a different pair that Danny at G R research or whatever was saying was made with "cheap, thin. toxic Chinese MDF".

That was the M126Be. Fantastic speakers, though a bit expensive. Given how near perfectly they measure, I wouldn't be surprised if Danny's mod actually made them slightly worse. Would want to see before and after on the NFS.

Ageve

That’s his usual condescending attitude.

It’s the same kind of MDF used in most speakers, and there are no resonances. He often complains about ”expensive” products.

In the same video he compares it to a cheap speaker, and he is basically saying they’re made of the same stuff.

It’s like comparing a Volvo and a Dacia, and saying they’re both made of metal, plastics and glass, so they have to be equal in every way.

He also likes expensive cables, and is modding speakers with expensive crossover components for a living. Some of his mods are more expensive than the speakers themselves, and he actually made the Revel worse by altering the treble response.

I guess it has to be true if it’s on Youtube, right? ;)

People need to be more critical, and never trust a single source of information. The same goes for measurements. If several independent measurements allign, then they are more likely to be correct.

snaimpally

I picked up a pair of Revel M16s and can't get over how small they are and how great they sound. I initially set them up without any toe-in and the imaging is excellent. For such a small speaker, the bass extension is quite good.

Last edited:

AVKS

I continue to be impressed with just how great they are as nearfield/desktop monitors. I've had other large speakers in the past that couldn't quite get it together in that scenario but these sing. A bit of cut to that midbass hump and they're golden.

sethr

I continue to be impressed with just how great they are as nearfield/desktop monitors. I've had other large speakers in the past that couldn't quite get it together in that scenario but these sing. A bit of cut to that midbass hump and they're golden.
I've been using them in a nearfield and midfield setup with a Q1 cut at 100Hz of 1.5 db, what cut do you use? They still sound a little tubby. I also add a high shelf to add a little brightness as I don't have a lot of hard/reflecting surfaces around and to account for the mostly near-field usage. I use them at pretty modest volume on speaker stands (not the stock ones) and they're located 8 inches from the front wall.

AVKS

I've been using them in a nearfield and midfield setup with a Q1 cut at 100Hz of 1.5 db, what cut do you use? They still sound a little tubby. I also add a high shelf to add a little brightness as I don't have a lot of hard/reflecting surfaces around and to account for the mostly near-field usage. I use them at pretty modest volume on speaker stands (not the stock ones) and they're located 8 inches from the front wall.
I'm using a Lokius and turn the 120 Hz to about 10:00, so 1.5 db or so reduction as well. No tubbiness at that point and my left speaker opens to a large foyer and right has a wall behind about 2.5 ft away The speakers themselves are about 18 inches from each respective ear and 30 or so inches apart, so far from equilateral but man is the imaging still amazing. I also have them both on these foam pads in the -10 configuration, so pointing up at me: https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Isolation-Monitor-Speaker-Density/dp/B08FZ3CH5Q/

enio nery

im loving mine.
revel.jpg
revel2.jpg

Top Bottom