• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M16 Speaker Review

nathan

they are excellent speakers.

note that you are creating a lot of lateral early reflections off the sides of those brown speakers next to them. If you can move the brown speakers backwards six to 12 inches that would likely help the in room response of the revels.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do most of you toe in or do not toe in your M16s? What's the recommendation there?

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do most of you toe in or do not toe in your M16s? What's the recommendation there?
The measurements tell you how to place them. Look at the horizontal directivity graph. You want to stay within the red section, so for these you have a lot of leeway as the frequency response does not alter much between 0-30 degrees. Amir notes that up to 60 degrees works. (You want your ears within that range from the tweeter.)

Revel is known for their horizontal directivity, so play within that space and you'll be fine. The sound won't change much at all. The beauty of these speakers is that the sweet spot is wide, so more people can enjoy the sound (or you can move around a bit if you are by yourself).

Similarly, the vertical directivity graph tells you where to place the tweeter height-wise. I also recommend you read the early reflection graph carefully to learn about whether you need carpeting or tall ceilings and why. Luckily Amir explains some in this particular example. There is simply a lot of information in Amir's graphs and you'll have a better set-up if you make the most of them.

Picky

first post here and i joined because im reading gushing reviews about speakers ive never heard before but realise i think i need to listen to them, the m16's being one of them

i was looking at the specs and i was a bit disappointed to see aluminum tweeter & in other areas too, now i only am a bit concerned as ive owned many speakers over the years but gave up buying speakers with those types of tweeters as i found, over time, they become a bit, how to i say it, not ringy but something a bit off sounding in the ears to put me off them, i see no mention of this at all and im wondering do long term owners still like listening to them? have they solved this issue or is it an issue at all?

other than that, i dont think i have seen so many positive reviews about any speaker ever that i can remember and its got me interested in them, the white ones that is

enio nery

first post here and i joined because im reading gushing reviews about speakers ive never heard before but realise i think i need to listen to them, the m16's being one of them

i was looking at the specs and i was a bit disappointed to see aluminum tweeter & in other areas too, now i only am a bit concerned as ive owned many speakers over the years but gave up buying speakers with those types of tweeters as i found, over time, they become a bit, how to i say it, not ringy but something a bit off sounding in the ears to put me off them, i see no mention of this at all and im wondering do long term owners still like listening to them? have they solved this issue or is it an issue at all?

other than that, i dont think i have seen so many positive reviews about any speaker ever that i can remember and its got me interested in them, the white ones that you

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

other than that, i dont think i have seen so many positive reviews about any speaker ever that i can remember and its got me interested in them, the white ones that is
They are not even remotely bright if that is the word that you were looking for
These are very balance and smooth sounding speakers.
I agree - if anything the M16 are IMHO closer to a 'warm' rather than 'bright' tilt. I've had mine for close to a year and a half and still enjoying them very much :)
For what it's worth, I've even directly compared them to Neumann KH120A and JBL LSR305 in the same room, and thought the M16 were the 'warmest' sounding of the 3 in this uncontrolled, subjective test (though I attempted to level-match at least).

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure what is to be learned from this video that could not be found in the still frame. It certainly did not sound very good on my iPad.

- Rich

Kuppenbender

Forum Donor
I am not sure what is to be learned from this video that could not be found in the still frame. It certainly did not sound very good on my iPad.

- Rich
Maybe I can be of some help. The difference between playing the YouTube video vs streaming the actual track from Spotify through my iPad over Bluetooth to my Soncoz sgd1/hypex ncore nc252mp/Revel m16 system was….

No, do you know what, you’re absolutely right. Nothing to be learned from this.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

- Rich
LOL that brings up the very real question about the sound clips of these "high end audiophile systems on YouTube": is it true that the sound is not even from the system you see but just the digital recording pasted over with maybe some changes to EQ to boost the bass or treble? I know I'm being cynical here, but how do we really know?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL that brings up the very real question about the sound clips of these "high end audiophile systems on YouTube": is it true that the sound is not even from the system you see but just the digital recording pasted over with maybe some changes to EQ to boost the bass or treble? I know I'm being cynical here, but how do we really know?
Too many clips with audible clipping for that to be the case lol. Most audiophiles think they can produce quality content just because they know how to plug a speaker to an amplifier.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Too many clips with audible clipping for that to be the case lol. Most audiophiles think they can produce quality content just because they know how to plug a speaker to an amplifier.
AHA, it's the clipping LOL trademark iPhone recordings.

xyvyx

Forum Donor
I love my M16s, but this sounds kinda muffled. And off-center. Maybe the spotlight on the left speaker is making it want to play louder...

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like them simply for some song suggestions/discovery.

Ageve

- Rich

You need a high end charger cable for your iPad.

The intentions with these videos are good, but it’s a bit like test driving a car by reading a magazine.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You need a high end charger cable for your iPad.

The intentions with these videos are good, but it’s a bit like test driving a car by reading a magazine.
Accurate playback cannot be assessed by recording it again, lossy compressing it into a video, and then playing back on largely mobile devices. It is absurd. Videos can have a place displaying measured performance and even showing woofer extension but listening to different tracks.

- Rich

Last edited:
Top Bottom