• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F328Be Speaker Review

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't know if you've seen the latest test with measurements of the 328? Here it's a Polish magazine where I go a few times.
I don't know the tester's measurement protocol, but in any case it's not the same salad as regards sensitivity vs. the SPIN Amir ASR, since on the spin we're above 90 and on this test we're down to 89?
In the chapter on measurements, there's a long passage in which he underlines the fact that Revel (like many others) overestimates sensitivity.
Finally, what if my translator is working properly and I've understood the conclusion of this test?
the 328s are good neutral loudspeakers, but there are no "goose bumps".

https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/kolumny-glosnikowe/3709-revel-performa-f328be

Lsc

I agree that for home theatre you need the sub. You need it for the LFE, which is where all sub information is. Unless you are watching a concert of Saint Saens Organ Symphony, there is not much going on below 30Hz in film soundtracks' LCR channels that are not in the LFE.

BTW, have you auditioned F328Be? It is in a different league to F228Be.
I have not auditioned the F328Be. I was pretty irritated that they announced the F328Be literally 2 months after I bought the F228Be. Plus coming from the F208, I did not and still do not like the Be cabinet design especially the F228Be that’s essentially the same size as the F208. Things may have been different if I went straight to the F328Be since the cabinet is larger. Double the price for the same cabinet was a bit of an eyesore.

So I ended up jumping on used pair of salon2 for slightly less than the “street price” of the F328Be. I then switched out the center to the voice2 w the matching stand…so no more upgrades on Revels unless they come out with a Be2 with a new cabinet design or ultima3.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you manage the LFE?

I run my L/C/R full range. The center channel in particular is a very large, brawny speaker. With some room boundary gain, there is plenty of deep bass/impact and huge scale for movies. Pretty much precisely as I want it.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I run my L/C/R full range. The center channel in particular is a very large, brawny speaker. With some room boundary gain, there is plenty of deep bass/impact and huge scale for movies. Pretty much precisely as I want it.
But the LFE. What do you do with the information from the dedicated x.1 channel (that would otherwise go only to the subwoofer)?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't you just run the LCR full range and do nothing with the LFE?
LFE is a separate channel. There is signal on it that does nor exist on other channels. You have to somehow hear what is on it, don't you? Not feeding LFE to any speaker is like not feeding centre channel to any speaker.

D

Deleted member 48726

LFE is a separate channel. There is signal on it that does nor exist on other channels. You have to somehow hear what is on it, don't you? Not feeding LFE to any speaker is like not feeding centre channel to any speaker.
When I did surround, the AVR's could be set up to send full range (incl. LFE) to speakers of your choice.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I did surround, the AVR's could be set up to send full range (incl. LFE) to speakers of your choice.
Then your solution is to use bass management. Not using the L/C/R just full range but adding LFE to them.

D

Deleted member 48726

Then your solution is to use bass management. Not using the L/C/R just full range but adding LFE to them.
Well. You might be right. But as I interpret full range it is incl. LFE because that is the full range of the signal from the movie.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well. You might be right. But as I interpret full range it is incl. LFE because that is the full range of the signal from the movie.
There are individual channels, each one has separate signal. Other than LFE they are full-range but LFE is limited to sub frequencies. That is why bass management is invented.

YSC

Major Contributor
But I bet there will be quite some room modes activated and not tamed?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But the LFE. What do you do with the information from the dedicated x.1 channel (that would otherwise go only to the subwoofer)?

I have my speakers set to "large." So the AVR sends the low frequency info to my L/C/R speakers.

I've tried a sub. Wasn't missing much. Prefer fewer boxes in the room.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But the LFE.
There is a trick if you do not want to use a sub but that you do want the use the LFE information.
In my case the avr is a Yamaha.
First you have to declare a sub present in the speaker configuration.
Then you have to activate an option "double bass" that will send the LFE information to FL and FR speakers.
Then adjusting the sub level will adjust the level of the LFE channel sent to FL and FR.
Et voila.

D

Deleted member 48726

There are individual channels, each one has separate signal. Other than LFE they are full-range but LFE is limited to sub frequencies. That is why bass management is invented.
Yeah. But LFE is part of the full range. AVR setup can be made to send all signal to whatever speakers you want in the menu. Typical you set your L+R to LARGE and if you tell the AVR that no sub is present it will send LFE to all speakers with the LARGE designation.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah. But LFE is part of the full range. AVR setup can be made to send all signal to whatever speakers you want in the menu. Typical you set your L+R to LARGE and if you tell the AVR that no sub is present it will send LFE to all speakers with the LARGE designation.

Yup.

That should be common sense. For movie playback, all sorts of scenarios are presumed, including that many/most people won't have subwoofers. Which is why
the low bass frequencies can either be sent discretely to a sub, if present, or only to whatever loudspeakers someone is using.

(I just had a friend over to watch A Quiet Place - hadn't seen it yet. All the dynamic moments, the giant footsteps included, where huge, with deep feel-it-through-the-floor bass...because the low frequencies were simply sent to my L/C/R speakers).

Lsc

Yup.

That should be common sense. For movie playback, all sorts of scenarios are presumed, including that many/most people won't have subwoofers. Which is why
the low bass frequencies can either be sent discretely to a sub, if present, or only to whatever loudspeakers someone is using.

(I just had a friend over to watch A Quiet Place - hadn't seen it yet. All the dynamic moments, the giant footsteps included, where huge, with deep feel-it-through-the-floor bass...because the low frequencies were simply sent to my L/C/R speakers).
Well to be honest (tbh) I didn’t consider someone having all full range speakers let alone those full range speakers having enough output to not require subs :).

Yes lots of different ways to skin a cat. My movie watching experience is equally excellent with the thundering bass from my subs. All good.

Top Bottom