• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F328Be Speaker Review

Descartes

Major Contributor
“I ran through my "speaker killer" tracks which are full of these sub bass frequencies” Amir

Could you please provide us the list of music you use to torture your speakers :)

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
“I ran through my "speaker killer" tracks which are full of these sub bass frequencies” Amir

Could you please provide us the list of music you use to torture your speakers :)

Here's a couple tracks I love with my F328Be:
1. Trampoline - SHAED - MELT Album
2. Make Me Feel - Janelle Monae - Dirty Computer
3. Himlen runt hornet - Lisa Nilsson - Himlen runt hornet
4. Differently - Marian Hill - Unusual
5. Eyes Wide Open - Rhianna - J:Kenzo
6. Eclipse - Joey Alexander - Eclipse
7. Bubbles - Yosi Horikawa - Wandering
8. Wandering - Yosi Horikawa - Wandering
9. Symphony No 2: Adigo for Strings - The New Zealand Symphony - Samuel Barber
10. No Ordinary Love - SADE - The Ultimate Collection

Have fun!

Last edited:

Descartes

Major Contributor
Here's a couple tracks I love with my F328Be:
1. Trampoline - SHAED - MELT Album
2. Make Me Feel - Janelle Monae - Dirty Computer
3. Himlen runt hornet - Lisa Nilsson - Himlen runt hornet
4. Differently - Marian Hill - Unusual
5. Eyes Wide Open - Rhianna - J:Kenzo
6. Eclipse - Joey Alexander - Eclipse
7. Bubbles - Yosi Horikawa - Wandering
8. Wandering - Yosi Horikawa - Wandering
9. Symphony No 2: Adigo for Strings - The New Zealand Symphony - Samuel Barber
10. No Ordinary Love - SADE - The Ultimate Collection

Have fun!

Thank you, I only know two of these! Looking forward to discovering new music!

Descartes

Major Contributor
Here are my favorite to test all speakers:

1. Bob Marley, Legend 30th Deluxe Anniversary Edition BluRay 5.1
2. Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms SACD DSD 5.1
3. Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here, SACD DSD 5.1
4. Tears for Fears, Songs from the Big Chair, Blu-ray Pure Audio 5.1
5. The Beatles, Love 5.1 DTS
6. Roxy Music, Avalon SACD DSD 5.1
7. Genesis, Invisible Touch SACD DSD 5.1
8. The Beatles, Abbey Road Anniversary Edition, Blu-ray Audio ATMOS
9. John Lennon, Gimme Some Truth, Blu-ray Audio 5.1
10. Norah Jones, Come Away with Me, SACD, DSD 5.1

walt99

Forum Donor
Maybe I missed it but is anyone bi-amping the 328's? I was going bridge 2 AHB2's but after a accidental volume excursion I decided that going that route may be TOO much power for the Revels, so maybe bi-amping will give some additional headroom/benefit without the danger or blowing up my speakers? Not knowing much about the 328's technically I have sent a note to Harmon asking their opinion as well, I'll post their response when I get it.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I missed it but is anyone bi-amping the 328's? I was going bridge 2 AHB2's but after a accidental volume excursion I decided that going that route may be TOO much power for the Revels, so maybe bi-amping will give some additional headroom/benefit without the danger or blowing up my speakers? Not knowing much about the 328's technically I have sent a note to Harmon asking their opinion as well, I'll post their response when I get it.

I'm using a stereo Purifi amp with my F328Be. At less than half power the loudest passages are more than I can take. I can't imagine wanting more power. The Revel F328Be manual Page 6 says "The design of this loudspeaker is such that optimal performance can be attained using the standard connection method." I wouldn't bi-amp unless they were somehow insufficient to your ears with a single amp. Sometimes you have to know when you have reached "good"! :D

Attachments

• revel-328be-manual P7.pdf
    151.1 KB · Views: 162

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I was going bridge 2 AHB2's but after a accidental volume excursion I decided that going that route may be TOO much power for the Revels, so maybe bi-amping will give some additional headroom/benefit without the danger or blowing up my speakers?
I've played with speakers and amps all my life. It is not something that I worry about.

I've had accidents and, once I had an "accidental volume excursion" due to a faulty preamp turning on spontaneously in the middle of the night to blast music at full system volume. It took me at least 30 seconds to "swim" through the noise in a semi-conscious state from the bedroom to the music room. The speakers (at the time, Paradigm Studio60) were fine the next morning although I wasn't. (FWIW, I am not offering you a guarantee.)

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I keep the power strip unplugged when the electronics are not in use. Keeps phantom power usage to a minimum, protects electronics from electrical strikes and I never had an accidental turn on. I found this keeps my computers operating longer than I would have ever imagined.

Last edited:

Descartes

Major Contributor
I keep the power strip unplugged when the electronics are not in use. Keeps phantom power usage to a minimum, protects electronics from electrical strikes and I never had an accidental turn on. I found this keeps my computers operating longer than I would have ever imagined.
I do the same thing!

Descartes

Major Contributor
Adjustment to the Revel F328Be NFS measurement by Amir can be found here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...orrection-for-klippel-nfs-measurements.22493/

These measurements align with the extended bass I am experiencing with the Revel F328Be. With strong bass response down to 29Hz I have less need for my two VTF-3 MK5 HP Subs.

The mid bass punch of the Revel F328Be is stronger and tighter than any other speaker I have auditioned. When I first heard it, it made me take a double take, raise my head and go "WOW". The scale of hi-def, articulate mid bass punch offered by the 51" F328Be is extraordinary and the speaker handles the load effortlessly. :D

View attachment 124339

View attachment 124340

How far do you have to sit from them so that they sound best?

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How far do you have to sit from them so that they sound best?

I haven't noticed the distance being much of an issue with the Revel F328Be. My couch is 11 feet away and it sounds great in my 28'x24' listening room. The F328Be offers a BIG sound that totally immerses the room. The sound at the couch is a lot less directional than my Sierra Towers. It feels like the music is coming from everywhere. I know that sounds strange - but it's the best way I can describe it. It's much more like being in the room with the musicians.

The bass being only -2dB at 29Hz offers a strong low end that lets this speaker sound amazing in full range. In addition, the tweeter offers super crisp cymbals without excess shimmer. It's a really clean sound. I enjoy listening to Bill Evans, "Some other time" album released April 2016. The piano is lively, syncopated and fresh while the bass line is clear as a bell. The first track "You go to my head" is one of my favorites but they are all good. The F328Be really brings this album to life. It's like I'm right there with the trio. Definitely, an upgrade for me.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I feel like these would be killer speakers for a mastering setup. Remarkably flat and controlled, basically no distortion to speak of... The only real downside is the cost, but considering mastering guys often use insanely expensive speakers from the likes of ATC and similar... I don't think it's out of the question.

Valentin R

I feel like these would be killer speakers for a mastering setup. Remarkably flat and controlled, basically no distortion to speak of... The only real downside is the cost, but considering mastering guys often use insanely expensive speakers from the likes of ATC and similar... I don't think it's out of the question.

AF7AE461-D72C-48C8-9FD7-E6CA95040497.jpeg

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have now listened to the Revel Salon2’s and Revel F328Be’s side by side in the same room, thanks to the flagship Harman Store in NYC. I listened and compared somewhat blind, in that I had a remote which could switch them but didn’t know which I was listening to. However I say “somewhat” blind because it was not long before I could easily distinguish which I was listening to audibly. My wife also helped out and was able to provide an even less biased perspective in that sense, since she couldn't identify which was which but the opinions and preference did end up matching my own most of the time.

Conclusion: I found that the F328Be’s are overall preferable to me over the Salon2’s, although there are definitely different pros and cons to each.

Of course, the details are more complex and there are some things the Salon2’s do better, or at least different. But a few things stand out to my ears:
  • The F328Be seemed even cleaner and more “dynamic” at very loud levels than my Salon2’s and Genelec 8351B’s. In fact, the degree to which they effortlessly go loud across their entire frequency range is really impressive.
  • The F328Be treble is smoother and more neutral sounding to me than the Salon2’s, very similar in quality to the Genelec 8351B. I think I’ve commented before that while the Salon2 treble is extremely good, it sounds a bit more peaky to me than my Genelec 8351B’s which until now is the most perfect treble I’ve heard. I’d say the F328Be is similar to the Genelec 8351B treble quality.
  • They sound more focused than the Salon2’s with a bit less “surround” sound reflections, but still with a very pleasant amount. So it’s not quite as focused as e.g. my Genelec 8351B’s, but not as wide as the Salon2’s, and so I actually find the F328’s tuning in this respect to be extremely good and perhaps my favorite I have ever heard — even more versatile than either the Genelecs or Salon2’s to the wide range of music I listen to.
  • The Salon2’s have more bass extension as expected, but though noticeable, it doesn’t sound like a massive difference. What the F328Be lacks in extension, I think it makes up for in quality -- seamlessly integrated, clean, undistorted, impressive dynamics are how I can best describe the F328Be bass. In terms of extension depth and power, the F328Be’s have more than enough bass such that it would be perfect full range for most music, and perfect when combined with a subwoofer to complement them for movies or extremely bass heavy music.
So I will most likely buy a pair of F328Be's at some point :)

P.S. Oh and just as Amir's subjective impressions have suggested, there is no way I can imagine these speakers actually start rolling off bass at 100hz as the Klippel measurements seem to imply. Unless it's some trick of psychology, their bass sounds extremely deep and powerful. Not quite as impressively deep as the Salon2's, but "close enough" that I'd probably still be happy running them without a subwoofer. But unlike the Salon2's, I think they're tuned really nicely in that you won't feel like you're wasting the potential of the F328Be's if you do use a subwoofer.

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
P.P.S. Oh and just as Amir's subjective impressions have suggested, there is no way I can imagine these speakers actually start rolling off bass at 100hz as the Klippel measurements seem to imply.

The rolloff is most likely compensated by the LF gain from free space -> 1/8th space loading. It's present in Harman's spin as well so it seems very unlikely to be a false measurement. I assume it's an intentional design decision to mitigate the problems caused by people not using EQ on their bass. If you ARE using EQ then frequency response in bass doesn't matter at all anyway, only maximum output.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have now listened to the Revel Salon2’s and Revel F328Be’s side by side in the same room, thanks to the flagship Harman Store in NYC. I listened and compared somewhat blind, in that I had a remote which could switch them but didn’t know which I was listening to. However I say “somewhat” blind because it was not long before I could easily distinguish which I was listening to audibly. My wife also helped out and was able to provide an even less biased perspective in that sense, since she couldn't identify which was which but the opinions and preference did end up matching my own most of the time.

Conclusion: I found that the F328Be’s are overall noticeably better than the Salon2’s (while there are some pros and cons to each).

Of course, the details are more complex and there are some things the Salon2’s do better, or at least different. But a few things stand out to my ears:
  • The F328Be seemed even cleaner and more “dynamic” at very loud levels than my Salon2’s and Genelec 8351B’s. In fact, the degree to which they effortlessly go loud across their entire frequency range is really incredible.
  • The F328Be treble is smoother and more neutral sounding to me than the Salon2’s, very similar in quality to the Genelec 8351B. I think I’ve commented before that while the Salon2 treble is extremely good, it sounds a bit more peaky to me than my Genelec 8351B’s which until now is the most perfect treble I’ve heard. I’d say the F328Be is similar to the Genelec 8351B treble quality.
  • They sound more focused than the Salon2’s with a bit less “surround” sound reflections, but still with a very pleasant amount. So it’s not quite as focused as e.g. my Genelec 8351B’s, but not as wide as the Salon2’s, and so I actually find the F328’s tuning in this respect to be extremely good and perhaps my favorite I have ever heard — even more versatile than either the Genelecs or Salon2’s to the wide range of music I listen to.
  • The Salon2’s have more bass extension as expected, but though noticeable, it doesn’t sound like a massive difference. What the F328Be lacks in extension, I think it makes up for in quality -- seamlessly integrated, clean, undistorted, impressive dynamics are how I can best describe the F328Be bass. In terms of extension depth and power, the F328Be’s have more than enough bass such that it would be perfect full range for most music, and perfect when combined with a subwoofer to complement them for movies or extremely bass heavy music.

P.S. Anyone want to buy a used pair of Salon2's in great condition? Just kidding but maybe not kidding :p

P.P.S. Oh and just as Amir's subjective impressions have suggested, there is no way I can imagine these speakers actually start rolling off bass at 100hz as the Klippel measurements seem to imply. Unless it's some trick of psychology, their bass sounds extremely deep and powerful. Not quite as impressively deep as the Salon2's, but "close enough" that I'd probably still be happy running them without a subwoofer. But unlike the Salon2's, I think they're tuned really nicely in that you won't feel like you're wasting the potential of the F328Be's if you do use a subwoofer.

Really awesome to hear. I’ve been super curious about that comparison.

Lsc

Conclusion: I found that the F328Be’s are overall noticeably better than the Salon2’s (while there are some pros and cons to each).

• The F328Be seemed even cleaner and more “dynamic” at very loud levels than my Salon2’s and Genelec 8351B’s. In fact, the degree to which they effortlessly go loud across their entire frequency range is really impressive.

P.S. Anyone want to buy a used pair of Salon2's in great condition? Just kidding but maybe not kidding :p

P.P.S. Oh and just as Amir's subjective impressions have suggested, there is no way I can imagine these speakers actually start rolling off bass at 100hz as the Klippel measurements seem to imply. Unless it's some trick of psychology, their bass sounds extremely deep and powerful. Not quite as impressively deep as the Salon2's, but "close enough" that I'd probably still be happy running them without a subwoofer. But unlike the Salon2's, I think they're tuned really nicely in that you won't feel like you're wasting the potential of the F328Be's if you do use a subwoofer.
Very nice read. You are the 2nd person (outside of Revel employees) who has preferred the F328Be.

Honestly, knowing the Salon2 pretty well as my buddy has a pair and with me owning the F228Be it’s pretty surprising. Looks like the F328Be delivers the goods.

Top Bottom