• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replacing my AudioQuest Dragonfly red for headphones?

u12345

My AudioQuest Dragonfly red DAC for my headphones (Beyerdynamic dt 1990 pro) no longer works so I am looking for a replacement.

I primarily need to use it for connecting to my PC (USB or USB C) and its fine if its a model that will be placed on my desk (but also fine if its smaller/portable so I can have it on the move).

Strictly speaking I don't need an amp (its been working fine with the AudioQuest dragonfly).

I have looked at Schiit MAGNI:

but thats an amp that you can then select to add a DAC. Again I strictly don't need this but I seem to recall that Schiit should offer good price/value (e.g. compared to audioquest that just seems to get more an more expensive)

Any suggestions (both for a stationary/desktop and portable)?

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My AudioQuest Dragonfly red DAC for my headphones (Beyerdynamic dt 1990 pro) no longer works so I am looking for a replacement.

I primarily need to use it for connecting to my PC (USB or USB C) and its fine if its a model that will be placed on my desk (but also fine if its smaller/portable so I can have it on the move).

Strictly speaking I don't need an amp (its been working fine with the AudioQuest dragonfly).

I have looked at Schiit MAGNI:

but thats an amp that you can then select to add a DAC. Again I strictly don't need this but I seem to recall that Schiit should offer good price/value (e.g. compared to audioquest that just seems to get more an more expensive)

Any suggestions (both for a stationary/desktop and portable)?

If you want something close in price and size replacement for the Dragonfly Red, take a look at the Fiio KA17. I got one about a week ago to use with my phone and it does what it is supposed to do and also has a nice little screen. It has plenty of amp power. It was $145 on Amazon.

If you go with Schiit, the lowest end setup would be a Modi DAC $119 and a Magni+ on closeout for $59 right now.

I use a second tier Schiit stack for my office system and like it.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
On the move if it's Android phone but also as USB dongle DAC I would recommend you to try with Hiby W3 II which is 50$ BT clip dongle. Use Hiby Blue app only when you must for firmware update and if you wish to use basic EQ which is stored on the device it self. It doesn't work good on iOS (doesn't work great on Android either) so instead use Hiby Music as a player and advanced EQ (MSAB +10 band PEQ) on the phone. Use their generic USB audio driver on Windows. Keep in mind it has a little less power then Dragonfly Red (1.75V vs 2V or about 1.5 dB less). Actually if you are on Android phone use Wavelet app in legacy mode and with EQ for your can's.
It's CS43131 based with QC BT 5.2 chip (including AptX LL, HD... LDAC & UAT [UAT only with Hiby software]), with 10/100 h reproduction/standby battery life.

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The SMSL C200 is $125 used on Amazon with warranty. I got one and it sounds great. The Tanchjim Space is a nice upgrade to the Apple 3.5mm USB adapter and 4.4mm balanced has more power. The Soundblaster X1 outputs 2.4v when it detects over 120ohm and sounds great in direct stereo mode. The software is just to set it up, then not needed for things like a phone.

Peterinvan

For the desktop use-case, I believe the FiiO K7 is the best value for my money. And it looks so cool :)

mc.god

Being the DT1990 250 ohm, if you where good with the Dragonfly Red then:
Desktop size: Topping DX1
Dongle size: Any cheap CS43131 dongle should be fine (Jcally JM20, Tanchjim Space Lite, Tempotec Sonata hd pro, Moondrop Space Dawn, Fiio KA11) since they all have at least the same power of Dragonfly Red at 300 ohm.
All of them with better noise and distortion than the Audioquest.

OP
U

u12345

Being the DT1990 250 ohm, if you where good with the Dragonfly Red then:
Desktop size: Topping DX1
Dongle size: Any cheap CS43131 dongle should be fine (Jcally JM20, Tanchjim Space Lite, Tempotec Sonata hd pro, Moondrop Space Dawn, Fiio KA11) since they all have at least the same power of Dragonfly Red at 300 ohm.
All of them with better noise and distortion than the Audioquest.
Thanks! And for Topping DX1 I looks like it can be powered by USB which is great since I won’t have to take up another power socket! Are there more desktop DACs that’s designed like that?

Most others I have found like SMSL seems to have separate power cord.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Thanks! And for Topping DX1 I looks like it can be powered by USB which is great since I won’t have to take up another power socket! Are there more desktop DACs that’s designed like that?

It's very desirable that it has it's own separated and good isolated power input and EMI quiet switching power DC transformer or at least that it is IC with steel EMI rejection rate and can fight on it's own powered from dirty sources like PC power supply. That's why we here in general for portable use and such recommend CS43131 designs (dongles and small BT and DAP one's) in the first place.

OP
U

u12345

Ok in that case - if it’s preferable with separate power supply - a better option (for stationary/desktop) might be

then?

mc.god

Similar usb powered desktop units from smsl are the D12
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-d12-dac-headphone-amp-review.46521/

and the m300se
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-s-m-s-l-m300-se-120.44485/

Both have some more features but less power at 300 ohm than DX1 but still more than dragonfly.

JCM800

The Hidizs S9 Pro sounds great and mine survived a trip through the washer and dryer.

Top Bottom