• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replacement for faulty Denon PMA-1510AE integrated amplifier

enter.candle.return

Hello all,

Stumbled across this forum about a week ago and have been learning ever since. I'd be most grateful for your thoughts on the below.

The Denon PMA-1510AE I've been using to drive a pair of Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2 speakers recently refused to power on, flashing the 'send for servicing' LED pattern, and the local Denon service center has informed me that the power supply board is faulty and that parts are no longer available from Denon/Audio United.

They've offered me a 30% discount on the 2699 SGD RRP of a Denon PMA-1600NE, bringing the price to 1889.30 SGD.

Stated specs of both PMA-1510AE and PMA-1600NE are the same:

Rated output 70 W + 70 W
(20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 ohms, T.H.D. 0.07%)
140 W + 140 W
(1 kHz, 4 ohms, T.H.D. 0.7%)
Total harmonic distortion 0.01% (rated output -3 dB, 8 ohms, 1 kHz)
Signal-to-noise ratio Line 108 dB

More info on the PMA-1600NE has been posted previously on these forums by maty.

I'm wondering whether the PMA-1600NE will deliver the best sound quality for the money, or whether, even with the discount, it would be better spent elsewhere.

Use case is with a PC as source, or possibly a Chromecast Audio if things move around in future.

From amirm's reviews,

1) 2 x Hypex NC400 DIY mono kit power amp with RME ADI-2 DAC pre amp - ~3,202.36 SGD (with shipping and 7% import tax)
  • seems like it should deliver close to the best possible measured results, which should result in an upgrade over either the PMA-1510AE or PMA-1600NE in sound quality
  • 400 watts per channel is probably overkill for the Mezzo 2s? (although in this review it's noted that these speakers perform best with lots of power. This matches my very limited experience using the speakers with other amplification - when I attempted to drive the speakers using my Yamaha RX-V765 they produced a much more withdrawn, unengaging sound than with the PMA-1510AE, despite the RX-V765's stated 95 watts per channel
  • the lack of analog in on the ADI-2 DAC means quick-and-dirty streaming from my Chromecast Audio wouldn't be possible if the setup moved into a room away from a PC
  • rather expensive - what might be good cheaper options for a preamp with balanced outputs (apparently the best way to get the most out of the NC400) with the DIY NC400s?

2) Nord One INT-A NC252MP Integrated Amplifier ~1,875.03 SGD (with shipping and 7% import tax)
  • NC252MP spec sheet - Signal-to-Noise Ratio <10Hz-20kHz AES17 121 dB - should offer better sound quality than the PMA-1600NE?
  • more appropriate power rating for Mezzo 2 speakers
  • could be used with a DAC for use with PC and also receive output from Chromecast Audio
  • equivalent price to PMA-1600NE

3) Or is there a much better value option that I have overlooked to get an improvement on the sound quality of the PMA-1510AE or PMA-1600NE?

Thanks very much in advance for your advice.

Willem

Major Contributor
I am using the mini Toslink out of the CCA into my RME ADI-2 DAC and it works a treat. I don't think that right now you can get a better DAC. It measures very well, but unlike many other DACs it also has traditional pre amp controls like tone, loudness, balance and more. Yes Hypex based power amps are currently the best value for money high performance options.
A Yamaha AS701 or 801 would be a cheaper alternative.

Top Bottom