• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Relentless Preamp's transparency VS Topping Pre 90

DACs_Lover

Hi. everyone
I saw on what's HIFI web. It shows an out-of-this-world beautiful preamp. Relentless Preamp.
I read the product description

The new Relentless Preamplifier is the ultimate in preamplifier design. The preamplifier plays a critical role in musical playback; the point in the reproduction stage when the music signal is particularly susceptible to compromise through noise and distortion. The use of three separate chassis in the design of the Relentless Preamplifier—a dedicated audio chassis for each channel separated by a power supply/control section—addresses these challenges and brings other benefits as well.

and its technical spec.
Signal-to-Noise Ratio -105 dB, unweighted / -100 dB, weighted
Total Harmonic Distortion <.006%, 20Hz to 20kHz

My questions from just reading the spec provided,

1- Can we conclude that this preamp is more transparent than the Topping preamp which was already measured to be transparent enough for music enjoyment?
Topping has 145dB dynamic and with 0.00007% THD

2- Why small preamps like Benchmark / Topping / Schiit don't have to be huge and housed in separated cases. Is electrical interference hard to control so that we need metallic cases?

3- Or both are good enough and Topping can be a substitute for a superexpensive preamp.

Thank you.

gvl

Major Contributor

1- Can we conclude that this preamp is more transparent than the Topping preamp which was already measured to be transparent enough for music enjoyment?

2- Why small preamps like Benchmark / Topping / Schiit don't have to be huge and housed in separated cases. Is electrical interference hard to control so that we need metallic cases?

3- Or both are good enough and Topping can be a substitute for a superexpensive preamp.

1- the specs are worse than the Topping, I don't see a reason for such a conclusion
2 - because they don't need to make a sale based on the looks, but only on performance
3 - yes, if those specs don't lie

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi. everyone
I saw on what's HIFI web. It shows an out-of-this-world beautiful preamp. Relentless Preamp.

The new Relentless Preamplifier is the ultimate in preamplifier design. The preamplifier plays a critical role in musical playback; the point in the reproduction stage when the music signal is particularly susceptible to compromise through noise and distortion. The use of three separate chassis in the design of the Relentless Preamplifier—a dedicated audio chassis for each channel separated by a power supply/control section—addresses these challenges and brings other benefits as well.

and its technical spec.

Thank you.
And it only costs half a Triganic PU or three Ningies. That's of course if you do not mind dealing in piddling small change.

GimeDsp

Hi. everyone

and its technical spec.

Thank you.
That stuff is Jewelry. If you are lucky it will perform "OK" if you are like other people/testers it will have issues.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Relentless Preamplifier: so pretty :p (Or maybe not so much.)

Please always try to include a link when referring to current products ... https://dandagostino.com/products/relentless-preamplifier

RelentlessPreampQuarterSilver.png

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my mind, unless you need analog inputs a pre-amp these days is wasted money.

Top Bottom