• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Records Outsell CD !

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're paying extra for "fair trade" to "support the artists."
*cough* torrents *cough*

Genuine question: why the quotation marks? Seems to imply you think artists getting fair pay is silly, politically correct nonsense. And then the torrent suggestion ... if I gave you my address, would you come over and steal my physical stuff too, as well as my livelihood? There won't be music to listen to in the future with attitudes like that.

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Y'all are going to be real shocked when the reel to reel tape resurgence keeps building over the next 10 years.
Frankly, given the size and the mechanical complexity of a reel-to-reel deck, I don’t think that’ll ever happen. Plus, no-one is going to build a facility to produce pre-recorded reels, and who in his sane mind is going to use a reel-to-reel recorder to record radio programmes? BTW, I used my deck to make copies of my LPs (play them once and then never take them out their sleeves again ;) ) and to record live broadcasts, I never saw a pre-recorded reel in a record shop.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Genuine question: why the quotation marks? Seems to imply you think artists getting fair pay is silly, politically correct nonsense. And then the torrent suggestion ... if I gave you my address, would you come over and steal my physical stuff too, as well as my livelihood? There won't be music to listen to in the future with attitudes like that.
Attitudes like that have always been with us. With any luck music will become more amature and less of a cash cow.

Robin L

Master Contributor
So you want to put me out of work too? Thanks. And the word is amateur.
No, I don't want to put you out of work. I did spell check the word [it looked odd to me], but clearly must mend my ways. In any case, music existed before recording and "the music industry", most of the music was performed by amateurs in the home. Recordings substituted home music making. I suspect there will be more homemade music in the future, in part because so many people are creating music at home, including recordings intended for the general market. Very little of that music will become a life-long paycheck, and recording is becoming a very small part of a musician's income. But that's not because of music pirates, music pirates have always been part of the mix and always will be. That's because music on physical formats was a bubble, and that bubble went away.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Well, as somebody who donates to my local symphony and is a season ticket holder to the tune of a few grand per year, yeah, I think the term fair trade gets used for all sorts of business practices that may or may not be necessarily fair.

I'm not going to accept Bandcamp marketing at face value just because they're good at virtue signalling.

15% margins for Bandcamp is a hefty hefty profit compared to the thin margins my local symphony runs on.

There is a lot of "fair trade washing."

StefaanE

Forum Donor
So you want to put me out of work too? Thanks. And the word is amateur.
Art in general is not a reliable way to earn a living. Modern copyright has made things a lot better for composers, but many performing musicians still struggle to make ends meet, one gig at a time.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Attitudes like that have always been with us. With any luck music will become more amature and less of a cash cow.

I have nothing against supporting artists.

I just don't think Bandcamp is particularly fair trade or generous. 15% margins is a pretty sweet gig for them.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, as somebody who donates to my local symphony and is a season ticket holder to the tune of a few grand per year, yeah, I think the term fair trade gets used for all sorts of business practices that may or may not be fair.

I'm not going to accept Bandcamp marketing at face value just because they're good at virtue signalling.

15% margins for Bandcamp is a hefty hefty profit compared to the thin margins my local symphony runs on.

There is a lot of "fair trade washing."

I have no idea how labels/ artists and BC work things out- but I do know its sometimes the only place I can get a lossless download of an indie label release , And if there are other legit sources, the price difference is usually not much or in BC favour. Its not an ethical decision for me.

julian_hughes

Huh.

I haven't run across that so far with any classical albums I've paid to download.

Sometimes the "Web release" even had more tracks.

There have been *hundreds* of classical record labels which have been and gone and whose output isn't available to stream, or is only on Spotify and so not available except in lossy form. Last week I bought a used CD that was recorded and issued by Gamut Classics. They produced maybe 10 different albums ever & then went out of business. If you want to hear those albums in high quality then you have to buy a used CD. That's just one, recent example. I find this is a regular, normal situation.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I have no idea how labels/ artists and BC work things out- but I do know its sometimes the only place I can get a lossless download of an indie label release , And if there are other legit sources, the price difference is usually not much or in BC favour. Its not an ethical decision for me.

That's fine.

Getting it wherever you can get it at the best price is rational consumerism.

I just have a hard time accepting Bandcamp's ethical marketing claims at face value given their margins.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
There have been *hundreds* of classical record labels which have been and gone and whose output isn't available to stream, or is only on Spotify and so not available except in lossy form. Last week I bought a used CD that was recorded and issued by Gamut Classics. They produced maybe 10 different albums ever & then went out of business. If you want to hear those albums in high quality then you have to buy a used CD. That's just one, recent example. I find this is a regular, normal situation.

Sure, if one has a fetish for limited production record labels that barely existed.

That's true in every genre. That's not a classical issue, per se.

But the readily available classical oeuvre is so large you really don't have to go that route if you don't want to.

I can get even obscure Japanese minimalist classical recordings or Stockhausen bootlegs online.

mansr

Major Contributor
No, I don't want to put you out of work. I did spell check the word [it looked odd to me], but clearly must mend my ways. In any case, music existed before recording and "the music industry", most of the music was performed by amateurs in the home. Recordings substituted home music making. I suspect there will be more homemade music in the future, in part because so many people are creating music at home, including recordings intended for the general market. Very little of that music will become a life-long paycheck, and recording is becoming a very small part of a musician's income. But that's not because of music pirates, music pirates have always been part of the mix and always will be. That's because music on physical formats was a bubble, and that bubble went away.
I believe there are, today, more musicians wishing to make a living from their art than the music-buying public is willing to support. The cake simply isn't large enough to feed everybody.

StefaanE

Forum Donor
Au contraire mon frere.

It has already happened.

I have bought 3 already.

Not for the masses, though, at $450 per copy.
Not even tempted. For better or worse (and now that I’m getting long in the tooth, I start thinking l missed out on owning a “reely” valuable antique) I sold my B77 24 years ago when l bought a Sony Minidisc deck. Got rid of that one too, but I still hold on to my LPs.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Art in general is not a reliable way to earn a living. Modern copyright has made things a lot better for composers, but many performing musicians still struggle to make ends meet, one gig at a time.

As was true for most of human history.

The post WWII boom in recorded music, pre-digital, is an aberrancy.

Top Bottom