• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation: DAC to connect active speakers to TV

studioguy

Dear colleagues,

Since my search for a dedicated recommendations thread was unsuccessful, I'm hoping here is a good place. If I missed something, please excuse me.

I am using a pair of active Neumann KH120 speakers with my TV and for now I have them connected with a random DAC from Amazon. I'm using the optical output from the TV since it does not have any analog ones. This works quite well, although I can not change the volume on the TV remote anymore. Hence why I am searching for a replacement that also supportd HDMI arc, since from what I've gathered this is the only way to do what I want, which is to hear my TV AND control it. I would also like to keep bluetooth functionality if possible.

Google pointed me to a review of the Acrylic BP50, which seems to do just what I want but according to a review from here noise and audio performance is subpar.

Can someone recommend a DAC with support for HDMI ARC and bluetooth to me that does not cost as much as a new TV? Since my speakers are active and I use my phone, TV or PC for playback I really only need something to connect my TV to my speakers.

Thank you for your time!

studioguy

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @studioguy! Welcome to ASR.

HDMI ARC input does not automatically mean that volume control via the TV remote will work.

For that you need HDMI ARC and HDMI-CEC support.

SMSL has two good DACs with ARC in and XLR out: DO100 Pro and DO200 Pro.

However, you'd have to confirm with customers (or SMSL Support) that volume control via CEC is also supported.

Here's a thread on these where you could ask:

SMSL also has a cheap DAC with confirmed CEC support, but performance is poor and it only has RCA out:

All of them have Bluetooth.

Chrisnew

Used the matrix with my buchardt with great results. It's one of the few dac with xlr and hdmi arc. Those were my criteria as well when upgrading

Last edited:
OP
S

studioguy

Hi, thanks for the replies!

@staticV3: Thanks for the info, HDMI-CEC is exactly what I need then. The SMSL DO100 Pro looks good but is a little bit pricey considering the only difference it would bring to my setup right now would be volume control. PS100 is in the right area price wise, the question is: how bad does it perform.

@Chrisnew: Thanks for your input aswell. The matrix streamer looks sick but I'm not willing to put that amount of money into a converter these days.

@ChenHui: I don't understand why it is such a niche thing considering nearly everyone has a smart TV nowadays and most of them come without analog outputs. I guess everyone buys crappy soundbars or crazy expensive receivers. Since I already have good speakers I only need the connection part. The DL100 looks interesting, I'm curious what the price will be. I don't think a good converter has to cost that much nowadays, when a two-channel consumer grade audio interface for recording music is less than 100€.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks for the info, HDMI-CEC is exactly what I need then. The SMSL DO100 Pro looks good but is a little bit pricey considering the only difference it would bring to my setup right now would be volume control. PS100 is in the right area price wise, the question is: how bad does it perform.
I've linked to some measurements of the PS100 in post #2.

OP
S

studioguy

I've linked to some measurements of the PS100 in post #2.
Yes I looked through the thread. I'm more familiar with headphone and speaker measurements so I don't have too much to compare with. Currently I'm using a no-name product and it sounds fine so I can't really decide if it's actually as bad as people describe it or similar to what I'm using now. Second issue, I just checked and it seems like nobody is shipping the PS100 to me :-(

popej

Can't you set variable output level on TV? Should be possible, if TV outputs PCM over optical. Not the best solution, but usable.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Can't you set variable output level on TV? Should be possible, if TV outputs PCM over optical. Not the best solution, but usable.
Many TVs (including mine) lock volume to 100% when audio output is set to Toslink.

OP
S

studioguy

There are two European retailers (Audiophonics, SoundImports), and a bunch of Chinese retailers (Linsoul, AliExpress, Aoshida, HiFiGO), all of which will ship the PS100 to you.
Amazing, thank you! Ordered from Audiophonics. Hopefully it will deliver!

Top Bottom